By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Games with strange/unusual/funny main antagonists

What are some games that have tried to break away from the tendency of serious;y evil antagonist by having a "WTF is wrong with this guy/woman" personality?

Nintendo is selling their IPs to Microsoft and this is true because:

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=221391&page=1

Around the Network

Weird antagonists are my favourite kind of antagonists. I've always thought that the best-written antagonist will always be better than the best-written protagonist.

I assume OP that we go for "antagonist" as the one that opposes the protagonist, no need for him to be the ultimate villain or so, right?

-> The Tales of games tend to display some of the most memorable antagonists out there. Shoutout to Zagi, from Vesperia, in particular:

A psychotic emo who fantasizes with destroying someone (who he mistakes with Yuri, the protagonist) in battle and probably fuck his corpse afterwards or some weird shit based on the dialogue he says throughout the multiple battles you do.

-> A bunch of people from the Ace Attorney games. Can't name anyone as it could potentially bring massive spoilers, but let me tell you, that's one heck of a colorful cast of antagonists.

-> Everyone from Hotel Dusk: Room 215. Welcome to the "Game Over" game, where even making the most simple, unharmful mistake could get our protagonist kicked out of the hotel. Not only that, but it almost looks like everyone is out there to make your night miserable. Sure the terrible attitude of the main character doesn't help, but c'mon. Of course, we can't mention this game without talking of Dunning Smith, the hotel manager, who would be the executioner in most cases, forcing us to abandon his local for whatever reason he deemed fit. Tell a child to get lost? Out. Ask about a date on a calendar? Out. Rub a screwdriver in his face? Out. Trying to use the damn stairs at night? Out. Let's not forget the best scenario:

-> Kakanas from Lost Odyssey. I don't know what was Sakaguchi smoking when he came up with this character but I want some of that.

I'll think of more later.

Borderlands 2. Handsome Jack is one of the more unique protagonists.

Far Cry 3. In an atypical act of daring, Ubisoft made the main character a privileged douche-bag frat-boy with zero likability.

N from Pokemon. He's the first "villian" that you end up becoming close to. Black and white could have been much better if they focused a lot on the story

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

12/22/2016- Made a bet with Ganoncrotch that the first 6 months of 2017 will be worse than 2016. A poll will be made to determine the winner. Loser has to take a picture of them imitating their profile picture.

axumblade said:
Dr. Nefarious....there was a screw loose with that one there...

Oh....also GlaDos from Portal. :P

Haha, smart minds think alike.

LAAAAAAWREEEEENCEE!!!!

Around the Network
Wright said:

I assume OP that we go for "antagonist" as the one that opposes the protagonist, no need for him to be the ultimate villain or so, right?

Total fair game.

pokoko said:
Borderlands 2. Handsome Jack is one of the more unique protagonists

Damn right.

It's incredible what Gearbox can do with just audio convos and a picture to characterize characters in those games.

Nintendo is selling their IPs to Microsoft and this is true because:

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=221391&page=1

Ghirahim from Skyward Sword. Sadly no other comes to mind...

Edit: can Majora's Mask at the final battle count ? Specifically the 2nd form.

Bet with bluedawgs: I say Switch will outsell PS4 in 2018, he says PS4 will outsell Switch. He's now permabanned, but the bet will remain in my sig.

NNID: Slarvax - Steam: Slarvax - Friend Code:  SW 7885-0552-5988

Many of the bosses in Lollipop Chainsaw

AbbathTheGrim said:
pokoko said:
Borderlands 2. Handsome Jack is one of the more unique protagonists

Damn right.

It's incredible what Gearbox can do with just audio convos and a picture to characterize characters in those games.

Quite honestly, he should go down as one of the best villains of all time.  He had so much more personality than most bad guys.

I'm playing through it again right now and I just got past the part where he plays the violin and messes up the joke then yells "screw you!"  

Ghirahim is just so fabulous.

My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first.