By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Thoughts on the Canadian PS3 Price

Well that is more or less the same story in Sweden: PS3 6000 SEK, 1 USD = 6.82 SEK => PS3 cost 879 USD Wii 2700 SEK => 395 USD xbox360 3200 SEK for gears of war bundle => 469 USD. I guess it is only microsoft that demands "premium" price to live in Sweden.

Buy it and pray to the gods of Sigs: Naznatips!

Around the Network
robjoh said:
Well that is more or less the same story in Sweden: PS3 6000 SEK, 1 USD = 6.82 SEK => PS3 cost 879 USD Wii 2700 SEK => 395 USD xbox360 3200 SEK for gears of war bundle => 469 USD. I guess it is only microsoft that demands "premium" price to live in Sweden.

People in Sweden are better off buying a Wii from amazon.de... I checked since I'm probably going to live in Sweden pretty soon, at which time I may buy a Wii. It's 270 euros including postage, which means you can save more than 200 kr.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Where i live in Canada we also have to pay 14% sales tax on things we buy, so it costs even more :(

@NJ5 Never said that it wasn't cheaper in the rest of the EU

Buy it and pray to the gods of Sigs: Naznatips!

robjoh said:
@NJ5 Never said that it wasn't cheaper in the rest of the EU

That was just supposed to be a hint, nothing else ;)

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Around the Network

@mrmonkey12

Yep, I konw exactly how you feel.  And when you look at the bigger picture, we’re getting shafted on nearly anything tech based.

Flat screen TV’s, DVD players, set-top-boxes, MP3 players, *Internet*, fridges, microwaves etc - I hear just about the only tech products reasonably priced here are mobiles (cell phones) and I’m not even sure about that.  I’ve noticed we pay about 30% more than US prices after adjusting for currency.

It’s probably due to GST and our relatively smaller market size.  But seriously, we have closer ties to Asia where most of these goods are manufactured and the US free trade agreement has been in place for a while – so I don’t understand the excessively high prices.  Yet the Aus public just keep buying with a smile.  So, in that regard, I suppose we can’t complain... seeing as though we’re the ones that keep bending over.

Always interesting to read about the prices around the world. Does anyone know the reasons behind their country's overpricing on the PS3? I've heard bits and pieces from the EU about how it's due to taxes/tarriffs/whatever, but I haven't gotten the full story. In Canada with Free Trade and our close proximity to the US, we seem to get roughly the same deal as Americans, with occasional exceptions like the situation right now with the exchange rate change. Like someone mentioned, sometimes there are some hefty sales taxes, but I think that's something you just come to accept as normal when you live here. When it comes to electronics prices, we definitely don't have it as bad as most of the world. I remember last year the PS3 was announced as being region-free. Is that still the case in the final retail version? I'm just wondering at what point it becomes worthwhile for people in different parts of the world to skip the local shops altogether and import a system directly from the US.

In england its £425 for a ps3, thats 840 USD Does amazon.com ship to england?

Keep in mind you most likely won't be able to get warranty service for units purchased out of region.

weezy said:
"living in Australia we are paying $742 US Dollars for a PS3 console" g()d DAMN! sony must be really f#cking stupid if they think that sh!t will fly

LOL, real smart.