By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Thoughts on the Canadian PS3 Price

You might remember that a couple months after the PS3 launch, the price in Canada was actually increased from $650 to $699. The reason behind this was understandable - the price point had been decided earlier in 2006 when the Canadian dollar was stronger, and it having dropped back by the time of the PS3 launch, Canadians were actually getting the system for cheaper than their American counterparts. The bump up to $700 brought the Canadian price more in line with the US one. Still, to see the already ludicrously expensive console actually go even higher in price felt like a slap in the face, and it was another rock on the ever-mounting pile of bad publicity surrounding the PS3.

This week, the Canadian dollar rebounded to a 30-year high of around 92 cents US. At the new exchange rate, the 599 USD PS3 should cost right around $650 CAN again. In other words, based on the movements of the economy, Canadian consumers have gone from getting a relative bargain on the PS3, to spending eye-to-eye with the USA, to now officially getting a raw deal. Nothing like the Europeans are getting, of course, but it's happening. So what do you think, is the price going to be bumped back down to where it was?

Yeah, ok, I kind of doubt it. They're not likely to give up those extra dollars now that the PS3 has been accepted (in a sense...) at this price. But where I see a light at the end of the tunnel is at the seemingly inevitable global price drop later this year. Sony (I would hope) will reassess their MSRP's at this time to put them in line with current exchange rates. If the CAN dollar holds roughly where it is until then, that would mean a 100 USD price drop would bring the Canadian price down to around $550. For me, that's beginning to creep into the "maybe-possibly-think-about-buying" range.

It still seems like a lot, but it should be put into perspective. A 200 USD price drop is where things really start to get interesting, I think.  (I know it looks very unlikely as a first price drop right now, but it's not so far-fetched as it sounds. Remember that a 1/3 reduction has been the standard for a first price drop for most consoles in the past - and god knows Sony needs it right now). A 399 USD PS3 would, ideally, retail in Canada for $450 or less - that's the price the PS2 was at the same point in its life. The reason for this somewhat surprising matchup is that in 2000 when the PS2 launched, the Canadian dollar was hovering around a fairly pitiful 66 cents US. We paid the same for a 299 USD system then as we would for a 399 USD system today. And these figures don't even take inflation into account - where I live, minimum wage has gone up something like 20% in the interim, and who knows how other costs have changed. In other words, as ugly as things look right now, before long the PS3 could very well be more affordable than a PS2 was in this country. Even a 100 USD price drop (to $550 CAN) might be enough to push the scale in favor of the PS3 over the PS2.

For an idea of just how much the exchange rate has affected things: you think a $700 console is ridiculous? It would have been $900 under the 2000 rates.  I know a stronger dollar is a double-edged sword, but man, as an electronics consumer I'm in heaven.

Just some thoughts I wanted to share with the Canadians of this board and anyone from other countries who happens to be interested.

Around the Network

I can really see where your coming from, living in Australia we are paying $742 US Dollars for a PS3 console when you convert Australian dollars. Now don't you think were being a tad screwed? Every console we buy costs so much more then what Americans have to pay, Aus Dollar is about 83 US cents. So the Wii should cost us about $292AUD however were paying $399. Here is a very interesting link about how much PS3s cost in each terriotry when converted to US dollars. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStation_3 (scroll down a bit and look on right) In short every country outside of Japan, Taiwan, Hong Kong, United States and Canada are paying $700+ US dollars for a PS3. So stop complaining cause us Aussies are paying so much more then any of you!

Um vat, other taxes, echange rate, shipping costs. all play their part.

Ahh so thats the story behind the bump price to $699. I'm possibly thinking of maybe getting a Xbox360 sometime this year but yeah, looking at the Canadian $ this strong It makes me not want to buy it here looking at US price. Now would be a good time to buy internationaly!

crappy old school NES games are more entertaining than next-gen games.

mrmonkey12 said:
 So the Wii should cost us about $292AUD however were paying $399.

$400 for a Wii??  Jesus H. Christ is Miyamoto buying an Island or something and making his own private ZeldaLand???!?

Around the Network

mrmonkey12 said:
I can really see where your coming from, living in Australia we are paying $742 US Dollars for a PS3 console when you convert Australian dollars. Now don't you think were being a tad screwed? Every console we buy costs so much more then what Americans have to pay, Aus Dollar is about 83 US cents. So the Wii should cost us about $292AUD however were paying $399. Here is a very interesting link about how much PS3s cost in each terriotry when converted to US dollars.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStation_3 (scroll down a bit and look on right)

In short every country outside of Japan, Taiwan, Hong Kong, United States and Canada are paying $700+ US dollars for a PS3. So stop complaining cause us Aussies are paying so much more then any of you!

I see what you're saying, they're making people take it up the ass in Canada but in Australia they're making people take it up the ass AND someone else is forcing them to deepthroat at the same time..  But still don't you think people from both countries should be complaining?

Absolutely there should be a worldwide price, i think perhaps this problem has put a huge damper on gaming in australia. If you think the price of consoles is bad what about games, we pay $99-$110 for new games on PS3 and 360 and about $79-$89 for Wii and PSP and $69 for DS (all Aus Dollar). That means were paying between $82.17 and $91.30 US dollars for 360 and PS3 games. Around $65-$70 for a Wii or PSP game and $57 for a DS game. I think us aussies arent just taking it up the ass and being deepthroated were having a full sized trees shoved into every orifice on the body. :P

"living in Australia we are paying $742 US Dollars for a PS3 console" g()d DAMN! sony must be really f#cking stupid if they think that sh!t will fly

I am WEEzY. You can suck my Nintendo loving BALLS!

MynameisGARY

"$400 for a Wii?? Jesus H. Christ is Miyamoto buying an Island or something and making his own private ZeldaLand???!?" ROFL@@!!@

I am WEEzY. You can suck my Nintendo loving BALLS!

MynameisGARY

Well I guess people living in Canada and Australia can take solice in the fact that they don't have to pay like Brazil does according to that wikipedia link $1843 I bet that's a least a few months of whole paychecks going soley to that purchase.