By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Gamestop should open VR arcades.

VR arcades...

Great idea. 25 75.76%

Bad idea. 6 18.18%

Explanation in comments. 2 6.06%

Total:33

Main concern would be store size. Most GameStops I've been to are relatively small, not much larger than an average living room. There are larger ones, but I'm just not sure how beneficial it would be to take up space for a VR station that could be used for gaming/media related merchandising which I've noticed they've definitely increased lately.

Around the Network

You can barely fit an Xbox One inside of a GameStop, let alone a station where people are free to move around and play with VR.

bet: lost

might be a good idea for oculus to open a store in the mall. would be awesome

I don't think the Other companies would be ok with this.

VR arcades/theatres are a brilliant idea, and I think it's the only way we're gonna see VR become mainstream any time soon with the cost of entry.

Around the Network
Trunkin said:
VR arcades/theatres are a brilliant idea, and I think it's the only way we're gonna see VR become mainstream any time soon with the cost of entry.

i agree

I think VR Arcades are a great idea but it's the initial investment.  You would need probably a dozen stations or more for it to be worth even trying so that's a dozen Oculus Rifts or Vives or PSVRs which is thousands right there.  Then you need systems for those. For the Oculus and Vive you need a VR capable machine and a good one.  For PSVR you need a PS4.  Again, thousands up to tens of thousands just for the hardware depending on how good an experience you want.  Then you need space.  If you want Room Scale, you need a very large location (in fact, I would recommend a standalone store rather than a rented space for a Room Scale experience).  If you want to focus on sitting down experiences with a cockpit focus,  then you need to less space but you will want to make it a very premium experience.  Remember between Vive, Oculus, PSVR and the Gear VR, a lot of people are going to have access to VR.  You want to give a very good experience people don't feel they could easily replicate at home.  So now you are talking about something like a pod or high end chair or similar setup with high end sound and probably specialized controlers like a wheel for a racer or a joystick for things like EVE Valkyrie.  So again, more money.  And then you need branding, you'll want to upfit the space really nice.  And then a company like GameStop would want to/need to do multiples.  That's a ton of investment to create a successful, sustainable VR Arcade chain. 

At my local Microsoft store they have the HTC Vive demo stations and they're nice, but it takes up a whole corner of the store. In a Gamestop that would translate to maybe a third of the average store. Like everyone's said so far, the stores are too small. To make room for the demo stations they'd have to take a lot of product off the floor and that might add to overall cost. But it would be cool, I'd go try it out if it existed.

At least having a few demos would be a great idea. It would work well in getting more people on board to buy VR machines when they release.

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

They could at least replace those laser tag arcades with VR. Do they still exist? I'm so old :)