By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS4 Neo Could Be 5.5tf ($399 - $599)

SWORDF1SH said:
jason1637 said:

Im not really familiar with Cars so i can't really comment much on Ford.

The whole point of the PS4 Neo is to get people to upgrade from there PS4 they have now just like the Iphone 6S is to get people to upgrade. Sony knows that a $400 console will sell a lot better than a $600 look at the sales of the PS3 vs PS4 for an example. 

I think you have missed the point of the Neo. Listen to how Sony talk about it. It a high end version of the PS4 and will be sold along side the PS4. It isn't targeted at the mainstream.

If someone really wants a high end console and is willing to pay $600 why don't they just get a PC because you can get a pretty good PC for $600 and they would already have they regular ps4 for exclusives and a PC for that high end gaming.

SWORDF1SH said:
jason1637 said:

The Neo are for those that want to upgrade and im pretty sure Sony would want people who don't have a PS4 to get a neo over the basic one they have now.

Why would they? They lose any advantage with pricing. The PS4 is set to become $300 /$250 and cause a massive increase in sale. Moving to the Neo would just fuck this up. How?

LordLichtenstein said:
jason1637 said:

The Neo are for those that want to upgrade and im pretty sure Sony would want people who don't have a PS4 to get a neo over the basic one they have now.

This is how I see it.

Playstation 4 are for those who have yet to enter Playstation's ecosystem, while Neo are for the existing Playstation 4 owners looking for an upgrade.

$299 and $499 are entirely justifiable if you ask me.

$500 makes more sense than $600 but its still a bit pricey. 

DonFerrari said:
jason1637 said:

Why would they it the money mainly comes from SW and someone upgradring will still be expending the same amount on SW? The upgrades they expect to see are from newcomers that want better graphics, on the upgrade that the used ps4 are bought and that the vanilla PS4 keep selling. this isn't a smartphone with most of the money being made already on the purchase of the HW.

Yes, most money is made from software but that doesn't mean there isn't money to be made from hardware. Even if they price it at $600 then there is less for them to make from software because sales history shows that less software is sold when the price of the console is higher than it is lower. 

Around the Network

$599 will never work. I can see it having some chance of sucess at $499 at $599 I believe its faded to be a complete failure.

But maybe they are pricing it like this cause they expect the Scorpio to cost this much so they can cut the Neo price by $50-100 right before the Scorpio launches and undermine MS plans.

jason1637 said:

SWORDF1SH said:

I think you have missed the point of the Neo. Listen to how Sony talk about it. It a high end version of the PS4 and will be sold along side the PS4. It isn't targeted at the mainstream.

If someone really wants a high end console and is willing to pay $600 why don't they just get a PC because you can get a pretty good PC for $600 and they would already have they regular ps4 for exclusives and a PC for that high end gaming.

SWORDF1SH said:

Why would they? They lose any advantage with pricing. The PS4 is set to become $300 /$250 and cause a massive increase in sale. Moving to the Neo would just fuck this up. How?

LordLichtenstein said:

This is how I see it.

Playstation 4 are for those who have yet to enter Playstation's ecosystem, while Neo are for the existing Playstation 4 owners looking for an upgrade.

$299 and $499 are entirely justifiable if you ask me.

$500 makes more sense than $600 but its still a bit pricey. 

DonFerrari said:

Why would they it the money mainly comes from SW and someone upgradring will still be expending the same amount on SW? The upgrades they expect to see are from newcomers that want better graphics, on the upgrade that the used ps4 are bought and that the vanilla PS4 keep selling. this isn't a smartphone with most of the money being made already on the purchase of the HW.

Yes, most money is made from software but that doesn't mean there isn't money to be made from hardware. Even if they price it at $600 then there is less for them to make from software because sales history shows that less software is sold when the price of the console is higher than it is lower. 

sure... if you buy a ps4neo already having ps4 you wouldn't use much on sw, so why would sony do that

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

jason1637 said:
SWORDF1SH said:

Because some people don't like playing on PC? My PC is more powerful than my PS4, doesn't mean I want to use it as my primary machine for games.

If it's 5.5 TFlops then that is the value that I saw someone deduce the AMD RX 490, with it being such a reasonable price and Sony will have got a good deal that seems like a good contender to be the Neo's GPU. I assume someone has pointed this out before, would this be realistic? Seems like a good GPU to go for, for Sony

Around the Network
Barkley said:
jason1637 said:

Because some people don't like playing on PC? My PC is more powerful than my PS4, doesn't mean I want to use it as my primary machine for games.

I'm not saying too. You already have a PS4 and a Neo might cost $600. If someone really wants that graphical boost then they should just buy a PC because then you can still play the Sony exclusives with the PS4 you already have and you will have even better graphics if you have a PC. Also, remember that Devs don't have to use the extra neo power so it's not guaranteed that the extra power will be used.

oodles2do said:
If it's 5.5 TFlops then that is the value that I saw someone deduce the AMD RX 490, with it being such a reasonable price and Sony will have got a good deal that seems like a good contender to be the Neo's GPU. I assume someone has pointed this out before, would this be realistic? Seems like a good GPU to go for, for Sony

Teraflops isn't a denominator to determine performance of a graphics processor.

A 4 Teraflop GPU can thus beat a 6 Teraflop GPU.

GribbleGrunger said:

PlayStation Neo (PS4K) GPU is going to be twice (2X) as powerful as the Standard PlayStation 4 and much faster. The source did not reveal exactly how fast the GPU is going to be, but it was confirmed that it will be running at a higher clock speed while being much smaller than the original.

You can't have "twice as powerful" and "much faster" I.E. Greater performance than 2x Playstation 4's.

And any GPU built at 14/16nm is going to be smaller than something built at 28nm.

Airaku said:
I will laugh my ass off if the NX matches the Neo and Nintendo uses that extra power to push polycount. Sony and Microsoft will likely need to make some "exclusive" games like the N3DS does in order to look as impressive. Not to mention some third parties might want to take advantage of the NX. Sure it can be a port of the other version, but exclusives would undoubtly be higher fidelity.

Unfortunately there isn't much room for Sony, Microsoft or Nintendo to get radical with hardware, their spoon all comes from the same bowl.
Thus the NX isn't likely to to push poly's harder than the other companies which already have a liberal use of Tessellation to boost poly counts.

thismeintiel said:

I would get your expectations in check.  First of all, I think the console makers are sticking with AMD.  They offer better GPUs for the price and haven't screwed over any of the Big 3 like nVidia has.

2nd, Nintendo has already said they aren't trying to compete in specs. And really they can't if they are trying to push a fusion console by including a handheld/controller in every box. I wouldn't expect anything over 2 Tflops, personally.  And if rumors are true, it'll be closer to 1.5 Tflops.

@ OP

I definitely believe Sony would have upped the clock to push their GPU to 5.5 Tflops, since it was rumored the 4.1 Tflops was only due to them underclocking it.  However, there is NO WAY they are pushing a $599 price.  That would kill the Neo right away.  That may be the price MS is going to try and push, but I fully believe the max Sony is going to go is $449-499.

I think the main issue is this forum is INFACTUATED with specs and typically push Teraflops as a denominator for gauging performance, despite the fact a 1 Teraflop graphics processor can beat a 2 Teraflop graphics processor, they throw all real-world expectations out the window.

bunchanumbers said:
Nate4Drake said:
a 5.5 TF GPU makes a lot of sense now that MS said Scorpio would be 6 TF. If Sony release NEO 6-12 months before Scorpio, they will own also the "updated Console war".

I don't know if you can call $600 a win. Not to mention the fact that it doesn't do anything a $349 PS4 can already do outside of play 4k blu rays.

It's a win if they have another product filling the other price brackets. If you think Neo and Scorpio is going to target more price conscious market segments, then you are highly mistaken, they will both work in tandem at various price points.

JRPGfan said:
If this is true, then the differnce between it and the scorpio will be so damn small it wont be noticeable at all.

Plus.... 1 years headstart... damn, sony worked some magic.

Scorpio is set to have the edge graphically. But it won't matter for most users who chose/chosen the regular Xbox One or Playstation 4.

Lawlight said:
Just some more attention-whoring from a neogaf "insider". The PS4 will be 4.2TF.

Teraflops isn't a denominator for gauging performance, architecture is signficantly more important overall.

LordLichtenstein said:
4.2 or 5.5, either way Sony will sell more consoles than Microsoft.

That could very well be the case, but I prefer to take a more pragmatic "wait and see" approach.
Xbox gamers will be happy in having superior graphics though either way.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Pemalite said:

LordLichtenstein said:
4.2 or 5.5, either way Sony will sell more consoles than Microsoft.

That could very well be the case, but I prefer to take a more pragmatic "wait and see" approach.

The only ones who will take advantage of all that power are Microsoft's studios, maybe. There won't be much of a difference in graphical fidelity between NEO and SCORPIO, at least not in such a way that it matters.

Furthermore, Xbox gamers can have "the most powerful" console if that makes them happy, because we at Playstation have better games, better studios and much greater talent working on exclusive games. :)

LordLichtenstein said:
Pemalite said:

The only ones who will take advantage of all that power are Microsoft's studios, maybe. There won't be much of a difference in graphical fidelity between NEO and SCORPIO, at least not in such a way that it matters.

Furthermore, Xbox gamers can have "the most powerful" console if that makes them happy, because we at Playstation have better games, better studios and much greater talent working on exclusive games. :)

I'm interested to see how Naughty Dog competes against a stronger console this time around. Their technical prowess has really excelled these past two gens.

LordLichtenstein said:
Pemalite said:

If the Neo does not take advantage of the superior graphics of the PC (which everything points to that it wont...), then Scorpio will,.
Ergo... Scorpio will have a graphics advantage by taking advantage of the out-right superior graphics already offered on other platforms.

As for better games and studio's, that is entirely personal taste, Microsoft has one thing it can leverage though... And that is the PC. - It has more developers, more games and better graphics than the Playstation.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--