By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Is free will a myth?

No. People can decide to do something or not. I decided to reply to this when i could have ignored it.

Around the Network
Teeqoz said:
Peh said:

I personally have a real issue accepting undeterminism in quantum physics. I see quantum physics still deterministic, but humans are incapable of detemining it. I am aware of the double split experiment. How do you want to get data on a force without manipulating it?

It's the same with measurements in electricity, the moment you want to see the value of the current, you'll change it by measurement. It has not a big impact if you work with big values, but when it comes to single particles. Things get difficult.

Look up Bohmian quantum physics.

Holy Shit. That's my thoughts exactly. Didn't new about this mechanics. That's exactly why I don't like the quantum mechanics.

Intel Core i7 8700K | 32 GB DDR 4 PC 3200 | ROG STRIX Z370-F Gaming | RTX 3090 FE| Crappy Monitor| HTC Vive Pro :3

Punishment isn't a deterrent, it's legalised revenge.

The PS5 Exists. 

jason1637 said:
No. People can decide to do something or not. I decided to reply to this when i could have ignored it.

But you did replied instead of not replying. Why? Would it turn out differently if I turn back time? Let's see. Nope, your post is still here. All your neurons did the same stuff what they did before. That's called causality.

Intel Core i7 8700K | 32 GB DDR 4 PC 3200 | ROG STRIX Z370-F Gaming | RTX 3090 FE| Crappy Monitor| HTC Vive Pro :3

jason1637 said:

Did you will the electrons and chemicals to move in the specific manner required to make you enter this thread and post this post? If so, how? Are you sure the reactions and electrical signals just happened without you having any control over them?

Around the Network
Peh said:
jason1637 said:
No. People can decide to do something or not. I decided to reply to this when I could have ignored it.

But you did reply instead of not replying. Why? Would it turn out differently if I turn back time? Let's see. Nope, your post is still here. All your neurons did the same stuff what they did before. That's called causality.

I did reply but I could not have replied. According to this thread criminal commit crimes because they were determined to do so?  It might be true but its a bit hard to fully understand. 

Teeqoz said:
jason1637 said:

Did you will the electrons and chemicals to move in the specific manner required to make you enter this thread and post this post? If so, how? Are you sure the reactions and electrical signals just happened without you having any control over them?

Well, i cant is sure of that but it's hard to comprehend an idea that free will doesn't exist because its like saying people are going to do this and that no matter what. 

Teeqoz said:
jason1637 said:

But if he's not in control of them, then who, or what, is?  That's not a sarcastic question either.  I'd really like to know.

Peh said:
jason1637 said:

But you did replied instead of not replying. Why? Would it turn out differently if I turn back time? Let's see. Nope, your post is still here. All your neurons did the same stuff what they did before. That's called causality.

But you can't turn back time so...

Paperboy_J said:
Teeqoz said:

But if he's not in control of them, then who, or what, is?  That's not a sarcastic question either.  I'd really like to know.

There's no person that's in control of them, his actions are just reactions to other actions happening in the world. But from each single person's point of view, it's indistinguishable from having free will, because you don't know that you've been affected by various things, and that those things have determined the outcome and the process and even what you are going to do next.

So nothing or noone is in control. It just follows the laws of physics. Even though you don't have free will, and don't have control over your own actions, that doesn't mean someone else have control over you. It's just that what goes on in your brain happens because stuff around you happens, not because you want it to.

Peh said:
Eagle367 said:
Well in your sense I think metaphysics delves into that and the hard part is proving or disproving anything since you can't carry out scientific evidence on having a soul or not. Yet when you die, theoretically if all of your cells are brought back to life, you would live again but practically that does not happen and science has a difficulty explaining death so until death is explained I don't think we can truly know free will exists or not. Is the chemical process the causal phenomena or is it caused by something we can't fully comprehend. Are the chemicals just a physical messenger of the body to do the action or are they the ones creating the action directly? I believe in souls so I think free will is there at least in that metaphysical sense but it's not there in a political sense. But that's another discussion altogether

Metaphysics and that soul stuff are those things which people like to hold on to without even knowing what it is. That make it difficult to debate with people like dualists and such.

But I know something that crushes that thinking, and that's the split brain experiment. Get a read on it. It's awesome :)

I know about that but it still insunates two consciousnesses insidw your body not where it comes from. Does a cell have that or what do the cells do to make it happen. Can psychology be explained through chemistry and physics? If those things are true then what is dieing and if it is prevented in a physical sense by keeping all cells alive, then do you still die? Add also to that fact that every cell in our body gets replaced after 6 months then what is self? What is an individual itself? A passing moment or something, a bond keeping the self together that we cannot perceive? How do we have memories? Was the you a year ago the same you now if every atom of your being is different? What is sentience then?

Just a guy who doesn't want to be bored. Also