By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Brexit discussion thread- UPDATE: the majority chose leave!

Should Britain stay or leave?

Stay! 185 48.43%

Leave! 197 51.57%

Total:382

So people decided... could we give it a rest. All I see on every social media is Brexit, and now brought to you by VGC. Come one people. It not like the future of Britain could not go either ways... Like it or not, the EU is crumbling, and the first real step was made.

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

Around the Network
hershel_layton said:
I'm surprised the thread has become this large. Good grief.

Also, I think a lot of people want to revote because they didn't put much thought into it in the first place. Most people just went with their emotions(or false information) to place their vote. If a second round occurs, I think more people will go online and seek information on the matter. They'll weigh the cons and pros, evaluate the situation, and then place a vote based on their knowledge.

They went online after voting, doh
https://www.thestar.com/news/world/2016/06/24/brits-frantically-google-what-is-the-eu-hours-after-historic-vote.html

Hedra42 said:
dark_gh0st_b0y said:

I believe it would be wiser from both parties to re-negotiate the migration part and let the people re-vote after 6 months or so, the difference of 2% is just too small to be decisive

An online petition has gone up for a revote due to the small margin.

‘We the undersigned call upon HM Government to implement a rule that if the remain or leave vote is less than 60% based on a turnout less than 75% there should be another referendum’ - http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/brexit-petition-for-second-eu-referendum-so-popular-the-government-sites-crashing-a7099996.html

100,000 gets it a debate in Parliament. As I type this, it is at 395,084, and increasing by about 1,000 votes a minute.

That petition is really messed up... I'm an American and I was able to sign it! Got a confirmation email and everything.

The BuShA owns all!

SvennoJ said:
hershel_layton said:
I'm surprised the thread has become this large. Good grief.

Also, I think a lot of people want to revote because they didn't put much thought into it in the first place. Most people just went with their emotions(or false information) to place their vote. If a second round occurs, I think more people will go online and seek information on the matter. They'll weigh the cons and pros, evaluate the situation, and then place a vote based on their knowledge.

They went online after voting, doh
https://www.thestar.com/news/world/2016/06/24/brits-frantically-google-what-is-the-eu-hours-after-historic-vote.html

That's not a case of ignorance; rather, a smudging of the facts to make them seem more important than they are. Notice how Google specifically chose the topic of it being the EU and not out of everything? Not only that, but Scotland - where they overwhelmingly voted to stay - has the top question of "What is Brexit?"

EDIT: http://www.npr.org/sections/alltechconsidered/2016/06/24/480949383/britains-google-searches-for-what-is-the-eu-spike-after-brexit-vote

EDIT2: To expand what I'm saying above, think about it this way. When it says "Top Questions on the European Union", what other questions would you expect to find so close to the vote?

The BuShA owns all!

Vertigo-X said:

EDIT2: To expand what I'm saying above, think about it this way. When it says "Top Questions on the European Union", what other questions would you expect to find so close to the vote?

'After' not 'close to', if that 'What is the EU?' was from before it might make sense but people shouldn't be asking a question like that after they've voted on it. That is assuming that people did vote at all and those google searches are not by those younger than voting age who's futures have been decided for them.

Hmm, pie.

Around the Network
The Fury said:
Vertigo-X said:

'After' not 'close to', if that 'What is the EU?' was from before it might make sense but people shouldn't be asking a question like that after they've voted on it. That is assuming that people did vote at all and those google searches are not by those younger than voting age who's futures have been decided for them.

I'd like to think it was more the people who decided that"my vote doesn't matter" and never voted and are now beginning to realise the consequences of what they have set in motion by either thinking there vote doesn't matter or simply couldn't be arsed to walk 100 yards to vote.

Also I saw on TV that even though 75% of under 25's voted remain only 36% of the age group turned out to vote compared to over 80% of 65+. Pretty much explains the results and you can blame to old for deciding the future of the young with little effect on them selves whilst blaming the young for not bothering to have a say in their own future.

looks like no one want's to activate article 50 to initiate the exit. interesting...

0815user said:
looks like no one want's to activate article 50 to initiate the exit. interesting...

Those guys that ran the campagne for getting out.... one of them has to be okay, actually backing up their words with action.

JRPGfan said:

Those guys that ran the campagne for getting out.... one of them has to be okay, actually backing up their words with action.

Nope, no plan in place for being out of the EU so don't be surprised if in a year or so a full u-turn is made at which point it would seem like a ploy to houst Cameron.

Vertigo-X said:
Hedra42 said:

An online petition has gone up for a revote due to the small margin.

‘We the undersigned call upon HM Government to implement a rule that if the remain or leave vote is less than 60% based on a turnout less than 75% there should be another referendum’ - http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/brexit-petition-for-second-eu-referendum-so-popular-the-government-sites-crashing-a7099996.html

100,000 gets it a debate in Parliament. As I type this, it is at 395,084, and increasing by about 1,000 votes a minute.

That petition is really messed up... I'm an American and I was able to sign it! Got a confirmation email and everything.

The petition is a waste of time, they will look at it and say tough shit.