By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Brexit discussion thread- UPDATE: the majority chose leave!

Should Britain stay or leave?

Stay! 185 48.43%

Leave! 197 51.57%

Total:382

1 million sore losers have signed a petition demanding another vote. What a disgrace!

Around the Network
SvennoJ said:
haxxiy said:

To come up with something like that after the referendum sounds like a coup against the sovereign will of the people.

Imagine to come up with that after presidential elections or the like. Suddenly, bam, 270 votes isn't enough for Clinton or Trump to become president! The notion itself is ridiculous and should be left on the waste bin of politics.

Not that it hasn't happened before with the European constitution / Treaty of Lisbon.
The sovereign will of the people, what does that really mean though: 34.7% of the people voted to remain, 37.5% voted to leave, 27.8% did not vote.
Democracy kinda fails with big decisions and undecisive votes.

Qualified majority in politics, to shield some laws and policies from cronyism and ingroup bias, is one thing; on electoral processes, another entirely different. What do you propose? To vote it again and again until one gets 60-66.6% of the votes? It will never happen.

Those who dislike politics are punished by leaving it up to those who like it. There is nothing wrong with democracy here, just the sloth and idleness of some. As Bertolt Brecht says, the worst illiterate is the political illiterate.

I feel like this the talk of sore losers. Specially millenials who think they are more entitled to vote and have more enlightened opinions than older people because "muh future" and whatnot. I can't see anything else on this besides plain old ageism. Guess what? You could take a bullet to the forehead tomorrow and some of the elderly live another 30 years. One never knows...

Dark_Lord_2008 said:
1 million sore losers have signed a petition demanding another vote. What a disgrace!

Brexit is the most stupid think UK has done in a century, this will be remembered as something to be ashamed of in the future, good work being on the wrong side of history.

I believe a vast majority in all Western European countries want to leave the EU behind. However the problem is that the EU has taken things like free trade and European cooperation hostage by requiring to be part of their organisation. The fact is we don't the EU as an political entity to have those things.

They are basically saying you are either you are with us or against. Well pretty much everyone is for as much cooperation and as free a market as possible in Europe, however many people are against the EU and it's "all or nothing" notion.

haxxiy said:
SvennoJ said:

Not that it hasn't happened before with the European constitution / Treaty of Lisbon.
The sovereign will of the people, what does that really mean though: 34.7% of the people voted to remain, 37.5% voted to leave, 27.8% did not vote.
Democracy kinda fails with big decisions and undecisive votes.

Qualified majority in politics, to shield some laws and policies from cronyism and ingroup bias, is one thing; on electoral processes, another entirely different. What do you propose? To vote it again and again until one gets 60-66.6% of the votes? It will never happen.

Those who dislike politics are punished by leaving it up to those who like it. There is nothing wrong with democracy here, just the sloth and idleness of some. As Bertolt Brecht says, the worst illiterate is the political illiterate.

I feel like this the talk of sore losers. Specially millenials who think they are more entitled to vote and have more enlightened opinions than older people because "muh future" and whatnot. I can't see anything else on this besides plain old ageism. Guess what? You could take a bullet to the forehead tomorrow and some of the elderly live another 30 years. One never knows...

With course altering decisions like this, while willing the population to decide, an asolute majority should be a requirement.
So with 72.2% turnout, yeah 69.3% of that has to vote for change. Get 90% motivated to vote, 55.5% is sufficient. Should 37% of the people get to decide to uproot everything and throw a country on a different course? If it's that important to them, those 37% should be able to motivate another 13%.
Math is not a strong point in politics. Anyway it's not my country, we already had our brexit in 1982.

I don't blame the British btw, I wouldn't want Canada to join with the USA either.

Around the Network
Dark_Lord_2008 said:

2 million, as I type this.

They'll have to address it, even if it is to say 'no'.

I'm really starting to think that a new world war is on it's way, hell maybe even the end of the world. Enjoy your life while it lasts gentleman.

Send a Friend Request On PSN :P

Peh said:

Is there a donation for a new brain for her? She desperately needs a new one without being aware of it.

Dude, she's playing with us.

I wonder who needs a new one.

Ka-pi96 said:

It absolutely does! For starters some UK constituencies are smaller than others, considering each seat has the same value in parliament those votes from smaller constituencies are then worth more since they need less votes to get elected. Plus every vote over the minimum needed (and any for any party other than the winner) don't really count. If you live in a safe seat area (which I do) then your vote is quite literally worthless since not only is the same party going to win every time but any extra votes they get or any closer the other parties get doesn't make the slightest bit of difference.

That still doesn't mean that it's undemocratic ... 

Just because power allocation breakdown by region is unequal doesn't mean that every vote does NOT have the same power in that specific election! 

Don't think of the allocated power en masse, just think about single elections ... 

I'm surprised the thread has become this large. Good grief.

Also, I think a lot of people want to revote because they didn't put much thought into it in the first place. Most people just went with their emotions(or false information) to place their vote. If a second round occurs, I think more people will go online and seek information on the matter. They'll weigh the cons and pros, evaluate the situation, and then place a vote based on their knowledge.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

12/22/2016- Made a bet with Ganoncrotch that the first 6 months of 2017 will be worse than 2016. A poll will be made to determine the winner. Loser has to take a picture of them imitating their profile picture.