By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony: PSP An Evolving, "Ten Year Product"

seconded

Manchester United 2008-09 Season - Trophies & Records

Barclays Premier League 2008-09: 1st // UEFA Champions League 2008-09: Finals (Yet To Play) // FIFA Club World Cup: Winners // UEFA Super Cup: Runners-up // FA Cup: Semi-Finals // League (Carling) Cup: Winners // FA (Charity) Community Shield: Winners
Records: First British Team To Win FIFA Club World Cup, New Record for No. Of Consecutive Clean Sheets In Premier League, New English & British League Records for Minutes Without Conceding, New Record For Going Undeafeated In Champions League (25 games ongoing), First British Team To Beat FC Porto In Portugal, First Club To Defeat Arsenal At The Emirates In European Competition, First Team In English League Football History To Win 3 Titles Back To Back On Two Seperate Ocassions
Around the Network

I almost wish they would just drop the psp after like 6 years and put out the PSP2. With all the features people would like added on to the PSP like hard drive, dual joystick, etc. Also make it friggin harder to hack games!!

The only multi-million selling games are GTA games. There should be more than that with over 30 million sold.

Aren't new handhelds released more often that actual home consoles?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyLhpUPNPIs

360 IS OPERATIONAL AFTER 37 DAYS!

BottledSpringWater said:

well actually no, but still, the psp isn't gonna last 10 years, more like 5-6 years (in total, not left)

Neos - "If I'm posting in this thread it's just for the lulz."
Tag by the one and only Fkusumot!

ChronotriggerJM said:
Well as long as they don't copy Nintendo with the original gameboy and try for what... 20 somethin years? Besides, if they do follow their own 10 year strategy, do you think they'll try to put out a PSP2 after the 5 year mark? :P

Monopoly will do that, I'm glad Nintendo doesn't have a 95%+ handheld marketshare anymore. On topic, I'm buying a PSP soon and want it to last another 7 years but chances are it won't, software is below average and the only big game on the horizon is GTMobile and possibly Oblivion. Yes Sony makes some money on each PSP sold, but that won't be enough.

Around the Network
BottledSpringWater said:

Judging by the Gameboy ... no :P

10 years is way to much ... maybe 6 years + 2 , but thats my top expectation ... 

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

I see it happening, this is sony's first handheld so who knows how they will play it out.

SSDs will be cheaper, an 8GB HDD in a handheld would be amazing. PSP2 could be awesome.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

I think integration with things like Home and LBP, mobile TV next year in the US, and GPS will lengthen its lifespan. The games is a little bit tougher. What you have is the DS, with much less power but games designed for the touchscreen, and the Wii being more powerful and games designed for the Wii-more making it hard to port games.

It could take on all of the PS2 game remakes, but it needs a second joystick. IMO thats what killed the PSP, having only one joystick. I got so frustrated playing GTA Stories that I just stopped. No third party will support making a game for the PSP because of the attach rate and piracy.

10 years is reasonable if that means PSP2 comes out at year 6-8. And I think that is what they are hinting at. The PS3 connectivity will go a long way.

The GBA did the SP which was a quantum leap forward. The PSP could do something similar next. Make it like a slider or flip phone, better screen, longer battery etc.

A PSP2 could easily do only slightly upgraded graphics using a chip that is compatible with PS2 roms downloaded from the PSN store and backwards compatible with PSP games. It could have 8-16 gb internal flash memory. They don't need to push the graphics as the DS2 will probably be gamecube level at best.

Final* Word on Game Delays:

The game will not be any better or include more content then planned. Any commnets that say so are just PR hogwash to make you feel better for having to wait.

Delays are due to lack of proper resources, skill, or adequate planning by the developer.

Do be thankful that they have enough respect for you to delay the game and maintain its intended level of quality.

*naznatips is exempt