By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What should be the reasonable lifespan of a console?

5-6 years. After that, the console and graphics start feeling very old and boring for me by that time.

Around the Network

5 years first party support

5 years at the very least, 6 is a lot more preferable.

"Just for comparison Uncharted 4 was 20x bigger than Splatoon 2. This shows the huge difference between Sony's first-party games and Nintendo's first-party games."

5 years is good for now. But as games become bigger and bigger, I think it needs to get to 8 minimum.

Ljink96 said:
5 years is good for now. But as games become bigger and bigger, I think it needs to get to 8 minimum.

I fail to see your point. Are you talking development time and resources when you say "bigger"?

bet: lost

Around the Network
HylianYoshi said:
Ljink96 said:

I fail to see your point. Are you talking development time and resources when you say "bigger"?

I think Aonuma said it best. If they were to make a new Zelda on NX instead of dual releasing Zelda, we wouldn't see that Zelda until the end of that console cycle much like Wii U. Bigger doesn't apply to all games. More like AAA games that increase in size and budget. I really don't see how you got lost, bigger things take more time to build if you want to do them right.

6 years than release a new console and support the old one 4 or 5 years more.

PS4 - over 100 millions let's say 120m
Xbox One - 70m
Wii U - 25m

Vita - 15m if it will not get Final Fantasy Kingdoms Heart and Monster Hunter 20m otherwise
3DS - 80m

At least five years, maybe more. I just don't see a console being a wise investment if its lifetime is any less.

Ljink96 said:
HylianYoshi said:

I think Aonuma said it best. If they were to make a new Zelda on NX instead of dual releasing Zelda, we wouldn't see that Zelda until the end of that console cycle much like Wii U. Bigger doesn't apply to all games. More like AAA games that increase in size and budget. I really don't see how you got lost, bigger things take more time to build if you want to do them right.

I know where you're coming from, but game devs have always adapted. A developer can chug out a game in 3 years, just like a developer could have a decade ago. Actually, many devs have become more efficient at releasing large games at a steady rate. So any change in the development time wouldn't be enough to warrant an increase in generation length like that.

bet: lost

5 years, or 6 at max. More than that and it becomes a struggle. Remember last gen when we were dying for new consoles to show up? Wii lasted 6 years, which is ok, PS3 7 years, which is a lot, and X360 8 years, which is too much. It showed... games ran at sub-HD resolution with horrible framerate most of the time and things also became too stale.

Bet with Teeqoz for 2 weeks of avatar and sig control that Super Mario Odyssey would ship more than 7m on its first 2 months. The game shipped 9.07m, so I won