By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Digital Foundry - Several sources indicate Neo will launch this year

Barkley said:
Guitarguy said:

$1,200US minimum in my opinion lol.

Eh??? Neo won't be $800 lol, if the 4.2 tflop leak turns out to be true I'd say $499 maximum. The Scorpio won't even cost $800. I don't see either device launching for any more than $599.

Opps sorry, i used the Australian RRP for the PSVR in my estimate($550AUS). I live down under :)

Around the Network
Guitarguy said:
Barkley said:

Eh??? Neo won't be $800 lol, if the 4.2 tflop leak turns out to be true I'd say $499 maximum. The Scorpio won't even cost $800. I don't see either device launching for any more than $599.

Opps sorry, i used the Australian RRP for the PSVR in my estimate($550AUS). I live down under :)

Ah understood! I live in the UK so it's easy for me to use USD online instead of GBP, must be a nightmare when mutliple currencies use the same symbol (USD,CAD,AUS)

Barkley said:
Guitarguy said:

Ah understood! I live in the UK so it's easy for me to use USD online instead of GBP, must be a nightmare when mutliple currencies use the same symbol (USD,CAD,AUS)

What really sucks is the current exchange rate(for me) :(

Guitarguy said:
Ganoncrotch said:

If they are going to try to match Teraflops with MS's machine next year it's going to cost 1k for this bundle at least.

I think MS were smart in ways with the Scorpio tease, showed that next year they'll have more power to weaken the position of Sony's system as of right now, sort of reminds me of the power of the cloud that is coming though.... will it come or is it just a promise on the horizon to make what is actually here seem inferior?

Hmmm I think Microsoft essentially ruined their sales potential by revealing both the Slim and the Scorpio at the same show. Not many people will jump at buying the current Xbox One now knowing the Slim is 2 months away and some won't chance going for the Slim knowing the Scorpio is 18 months away. 18 months is a long time but some will wait.

Very true, I said similar more than a few times, With The S model they lowered the value of buying the current product, with Win10 getting all the games from X1 they lowered the value of the Slim and X1 and with the Scorpio they just shot the brand to death until next Christmas... but...

The thing is they are currently just selling 50-60k per week according to VGchartz numbers, while PS4's are going out at 160k per week, say if Sony really want/need to get the NEO out the door to give PSVR the processing power it truely needs to run perfectly, but if the PS4NEO was going to be somewhere in the region of double the PS4's power in the 3Teraflops field then it would be a hard sell with the Scorpio on the (very distant) Horizon, so what they've done is made it impossible to reveal an upgrade of the current PS4 while promising the world in 18 months time, again I know they're current sales suffer from this but losing 10-20% of 50k sales per week in comparison to stopping the Juggernaught which is the PS4 sales machine right now could work out good for them in the end when it comes to console install base later on down the line.

Again after the Cloud power promising to x4 the power of the X1 which completely fell to bits though I'm not going to be holding my breath waiting for that 6teraflop power X1, I just genuinely see what was shown at E3 this year, the cgi of the PCB with Xbox on it.... far more a marketing move than a reveal of hardware to come.

Remember like I said the X1 was already promised to become 4x more powerful

That plan has clearly got a bullet in the head now.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

Assuming this is true, for the sake of argument, then we'll get a real split in hardware vision. That's interesting after the PS4 and XO were virtually the same.

If Neo conforms to the rumors, then it seems it will be about first-party VR, higher level graphics settings, and upscaled 4K?

Versus potential third-party VR, potential higher level graphics settings, and potential native 4K?

Interesting stuff.

Might explain Microsoft's odd move of announcing the Scorpio a year+ in advance. They hurt their own Xbox sales but they took the risk in order to poison the well for Sony.

Stage 2! FIGHT!

Around the Network

"Starting in October, every PS4 game is required to ship with both a “Base Mode” which will run on the currently available PS4 and a “NEO Mode” for use on the new console." - Giant Bomb

This indicates, that Neo will launch in October.

"No price was provided, but previous reports indicate that the NEO would sell at $399. At time of publishing, Sony has not returned our request for comment, but we will update this story if the company responds." - Giant Bomb

Upgrade Neo's specs to match Scorpio and sell it for $499. Those of us who will buy Neo are well aware, that this is a premium model and we will gladly pay $100 more, just not to have the "inferior" console on the market for the next three years. Next Fall, when Scorpio releases, lower the price to $399-449.

I would be surprised if they do, but then again won't be surprised if they do. I believe Sony are looking at 4k differently from MS. While they make a box that can handle 4k video natively for stuff like Netflix, YouTube and bluray, i feel if launching this year then for games they are just looking at 4k up-scaling. So all games will still be made to natively match the resolution of the base PS4 with better AA and other effects then just upscaled to 4k.

And launching a year early will give them a massive price advantage over the scorpio when that comes. Question is, how much of a difference will native 4k(scorpio) and upscaled to 4k(neo) have?

Ganoncrotch said:

Very true, I said similar more than a few times, With The S model they lowered the value of buying the current product, with Win10 getting all the games from X1 they lowered the value of the Slim and X1 and with the Scorpio they just shot the brand to death until next Christmas... but...

The thing is they are currently just selling 50-60k per week according to VGchartz numbers, while PS4's are going out at 160k per week, say if Sony really want/need to get the NEO out the door to give PSVR the processing power it truely needs to run perfectly, but if the PS4NEO was going to be somewhere in the region of double the PS4's power in the 3Teraflops field then it would be a hard sell with the Scorpio on the (very distant) Horizon, so what they've done is made it impossible to reveal an upgrade of the current PS4 while promising the world in 18 months time, again I know they're current sales suffer from this but losing 10-20% of 50k sales per week in comparison to stopping the Juggernaught which is the PS4 sales machine right now could work out good for them in the end when it comes to console install base later on down the line.

Again after the Cloud power promising to x4 the power of the X1 which completely fell to bits though I'm not going to be holding my breath waiting for that 6teraflop power X1, I just genuinely see what was shown at E3 this year, the cgi of the PCB with Xbox on it.... far more a marketing move than a reveal of hardware to come.

Remember like I said the X1 was already promised to become 4x more powerful

That plan has clearly got a bullet in the head now.

Totally forgot about the cloud! I know Sony have made some outlandish statements in regards to hardware in the past, but nothing beats the CLOUD!!!

LordLichtenstein said:

Upgrade Neo's specs to match Scorpio and sell it for $499. Those of us who will buy Neo are well aware, that this is a premium model and we will gladly pay $100 more, just not to have the "inferior" console on the market for the next three years. Next Fall, when Scorpio releases, lower the price to $399-449.

If it launches this year that will be Impossible.

Intrinsic said:
I would be surprised if they do, but then again won't be surprised if they do. I believe Sony are looking at 4k differently from MS. While they make a box that can handle 4k video natively for stuff like Netflix, YouTube and bluray, i feel if launching this year then for games they are just looking at 4k up-scaling. So all games will still be made to natively match the resolution of the base PS4 with better AA and other effects then just upscaled to 4k.

And launching a year early will give them a massive price advantage over the scorpio when that comes. Question is, how much of a difference will native 4k(scorpio) and upscaled to 4k(neo) have?

The price difference could be massive considering native 4k hardware is quite expensive...

Also by going the 4k-upscaling route, it would make the process much easier on developers compared to having to program a whole nother version of the game in 4K native....