By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Sony's Shuhei Yoshida on The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

BraLoD said:
jason1637 said:

Minecraft doesn't have a story unless you include Minecraft story mode which shouldn't really count. 

Your point was that you never seem a game with so much interaction, don't change it.
Also, Dragon Quest Builders have an story, if that's the case.
Don't Starve also have a fully interactive world.

You point it very flawed, there is nothing new on this new Zelda, it is a big leap for the series, though.

Alright you have a point. 

Around the Network
pokoko said:
jason1637 said:

I'm talking about the interaction with the game and the progressive system. In Zelda, you can literally interact with almost everything and what Sony has shown of horizon it don't see that type of interaction. Also in Zelda you can do whatever you want like you don;t even need to complete the story mode to beat a game. I've never seen a game with so much interaction with the world around it and games that you can beat without doing the story. It really is impressive tbh. 

Have you ever played an open-world game before?  Zelda, from what I've seen, doesn't stray much from open-world standards.  

I also question whether or not you've seen much of Horizon.  Rocks and trees get knocked over during combat.  She hides behind an outcropping and it gets blown up.  She shoots a rocket launcher off a dinobot then picks it up and uses it herself.  That's plenty interactive.

I've seen the trailers and the gameplay from this and last years e3.

sc94597 said:
pokoko said:

I hope you're not one of those people who make a big deal about hunting, crafting, and cooking.  That's certainly not new.  Again, it's standard in Bethesda games and even MMOs like WoW.

Where did I say it was new? My whole post was about how implementation is important rather than just having something in the game. For example, hunting and crafting with environmental resources (rather than loot) in Skyrim was quite minimal , barely affecting the game (with the exception of smithing.) You can do it if you want to, but it didn't gain you a big benefit to do it (again, excepting smithing.) It is integral to this Zelda game, as the survivalist elements are important. It seems to me as if they are aiming for a realistic level of scarcity and resource attainment. Something that was not felt in Skyrim. Theme-park mmorpgs aren't open-world games in the sense we are describing, even then - the same argument applies. I think a better example would be something like Eve Online, but really we are comparing apples to oranges at that point.

Why are you leaving out Smithing?  That doesn't make much sense, as it impacted making Armor and Weapons and was impacted by Mining, Smelting, Tanning, and Woodcutting.

And, no, Enchanting was extremely beneficial, while Alchemy had a great deal of effect on the other two and could be quite valuable.

Also, I'm guessing you've never played Survival in Fallout, where you need to eat, drink, and sleep.

Seriously, though, whatever.  If you want to believe that this game wasn't influenced by western games, go ahead.

pokoko said:

1. Why are you leaving out Smithing?  That doesn't make much sense, as it impacted making Armor and Weapons and was impacted by Mining, Smelting, Tanning, and Woodcutting.

2. And, no, Enchanting was extremely beneficial, while Alchemy had a great deal of effect on the other two and could be quite valuable.

3. Also, I'm guessing you've never played Survival in Fallout, where you need to eat, drink, and sleep.

4. Seriously, though, whatever.  If you want to believe that this game wasn't influenced by western games, go ahead.

1. Because smithing was useful to every single character one can make. But that was the extent of it. I've played games with much more extensive crafting systems, where you can combine and built many more things - more realistically. 

2. Again, all of them are tangent and optional. Smithing is probably the only skill every one consistently used in the game. I did some enchanting on my original mage character, but it really isn't necessary if somebody plays a different class (minimal Alchemy - the game is too easy to really need Alchemy.) It really is hard to even compare Skyrim to Zelda. Skyrim uses the traditional RPG route of doing things (you have skills which you work on and stats to describe your power.) Zelda has an action-adventure way of doing things, you realistically combine materials to use - and it is primarily item based rather than statistics based. 

3. Fallout 4 was announced and released half way through last year. I have my doubts Zelda BotW took much inspiration from it. Survivalism in previous fallout games was quite minimal. 

4. Where did I say that? Way to misrepresent what I was saying, again let me make it clear "I am talking about implementation, not inspiration." Obviously Aonuma has used games like Far Cry 4 to influence his vision of Zelda BoTW, but that does not mean he has implemented all of these things 1:1.  So again, let me say it " I am talking about implementation, not inspiration." What game doesn't take from other titles of a similar variety? What is exciting about BotW is that it has taken many great things from other open-world games, streamlined them, and added Zelda twists to it, and then it is going to be mixed with some Zelda tropes like extensive puzzles, recognizable landmarks, exceptional dungeon and overworld design, etc. 

sc94597 said:
pokoko said:

1. Why are you leaving out Smithing?  That doesn't make much sense, as it impacted making Armor and Weapons and was impacted by Mining, Smelting, Tanning, and Woodcutting.

2. And, no, Enchanting was extremely beneficial, while Alchemy had a great deal of effect on the other two and could be quite valuable.

3. Also, I'm guessing you've never played Survival in Fallout, where you need to eat, drink, and sleep.

4. Seriously, though, whatever.  If you want to believe that this game wasn't influenced by western games, go ahead.

1. Because smithing was useful to every single character one can make. But that was the extent of it. I've played games with much more extensive crafting systems, where you can combine and built many more things - more realistically. 

2. Again, all of them are tangent and optional. Smithing is probably the only skill every one consistently used in the game. I did some enchanting on my original mage character, but it really isn't necessary if somebody plays a different class (minimal Alchemy - the game is too easy to really need Alchemy.) It really is hard to even compare Skyrim to Zelda. Skyrim uses the traditional RPG route of doing things (you have skills which you work on and stats to describe your power.) Zelda has an action-adventure way of doing things, you realistically combine materials to use - and it is primarily item based rather than statistics based. 

3. Fallout 4 was announced and released half way through last year. I have my doubts Zelda BotW took much inspiration from it. Survivalism in previous fallout games was quite minimal. 

4. Where did I say that? Way to misrepresent what I was saying, again let me make it clear "I am talking about implementation, not inspiration." Obviously Aonuma has used games like Far Cry 4 to influence his vision of Zelda BoTW, but that does not mean he has implemented all of these things 1:1.  So again, let me say it " I am talking about implementation, not inspiration." What game doesn't take from other titles of a similar variety? What is exciting about BotW is that it has taken many great things from other open-world games, streamlined them, and added Zelda twists to it, and then it is going to be mixed with some Zelda trope like extensive puzzles, recognizable landmarks, exceptional dungeon design, etc. 

Then what are you arguing about?  What game does not take influences and turn them to their own purposes?  Horizon clearly does, as well.  Zelda is not alone in that.

It's fine if that's your point but, I'm sorry, your original post(s) did not get that across.

Around the Network
pokoko said:

Then what are you arguing about?  What game does not take influences and turn them to their own purposes?  Horizon clearly does, as well.  Zelda is not alone in that.

It's fine if that's your point but, I'm sorry, your original post(s) did not get that across.

"Can you name me an open-world game with every single feature Zelda has? I can't, and it is the meta-genre I play the most."

That was my original post. I might've went about it in a roundabout way, but it was clear that I wasn't arguing that Zelda is innovating here (any more or less than any other open world game.) I was arguing that there is no game with the same package (set of features) as Zelda. Two entirely different arguments. 

And then here is the ending statement of the post you originally quoted:

"None of these features you mentioned are really even new to Zelda. Its their implementation, and how they all come together into one package. "

sc94597 said:
Ali_16x said:

Lol? Did you even read what I said? Where did I say that there is a game out there that is doing everything Zelda is doing. I said we've already seen features that Zelda is doing in open world games these days.

You think there aren't games that take a bunch of open world features and put them into a game? Horizon does the, "Go anywhere you can see" feature. Horizon has mounting, a feature we've seen since literally forever. Horizon has crafting a feature we've seen forever. Horizon has destructable environments, Horizon has equipable weapons and armor etc. I can go on. And the thing is, we've barely seen anything of Horizon. We've seen 15 minutes total. They're keeping a bunch of things a mystery

Let's go into Zelda's features.

Horse Riding and shooting off it? Shadow of the Colossus, a 2005 game.

Jumping off and going into gameplay? Batman Arkham Knight with the Batmobile, shown E3 2014, before Nintendo showed Zelda gameplay.

Cooking? Final Fantasy XV just recently and it's basically just alchemy which hundreds of games do.

Super Huge worlds? Lol I can name so many.

Gliding? Just Cause 3.

And as I said, I'm sure there is something that Zelda does unique, like the way you use your shield to travel. But then again, most games have unique features like that. Like Horizon where you can thether enemies to the ground or w/e.

But you guys seriously need too stop acting like this Zelda game has created features which we've seen in games already.

You were downplaying the game by saying, "it is a huge leap for Zelda as a series." As if it wouldn't be interesting to have all of these features in one package for any other game series. 

Horse-riding and shooting are traits of previous Zelda games, starting with OoT. But honestly besides something like Mount and Blade (a niche PC exclusive title), I can't think of a game that does it as flawlessly as this Zelda game is doing it. 

Jumping off and going into gameplay: most open world games don't have this feature. 

Cooking? Final Fantasy XV isn't out, and it is missing all of the crafting features Zelda has. To compare using resources in the world realistically with alchemy is silly. Zelda games had barebones alchemy before too (Skyward Sword, Windwaker, and Majora's Mask.) 

Gliding? Majora's Mask and Windwaker had it before there was even a Just Cause. 

None of these features you mentioned are really even new to Zelda. Its their implementation, and how they all come together into one package. 

What the hell? You can't be serious? You JUST can't be serious. I'm downplaying Zelda by saying it went Open world? For most games, going open world would be considered a big leap. But for some reason, for Zelda, it's an insult? LOL?

And in the first GTA you could get out and in of cars, cars which were basically a form of transportation just like the Horse in OoT. But you know what, let's just say Zelda created every feature EVER. 

"I can't think of a game that does it as flawlessly as this Zelda game is doing it. "

Lol see, this is basically what I'm talking about. You guys are literally acting like Zelda does everything, Zelda created everything.

You think Zelda is the first game to get transportation right? You obviously haven't played Just Cause. 

"Jumping off and going into gameplay: most open world games don't have this feature. "

Are you being serious? Why in the world would every game have this feature? What are you talking about? Why would Red Dead Redemption have you jumping off a horse into the sky with a gun? That doesn't even make sense. Games that need this feature, WILL HAVE THIS FEATURE. Assassin's Creed with killing people by jumping off the horse and killing them. Just Cause 2 with helicopters and cars. Why would Geralt jump off a horse into the sky with a SWORD. You are being absolutely ridiculous.

"Cooking? Final Fantasy XV isn't out, and it is missing all of the crafting features Zelda has. To compare using resources in the world realistically with alchemy is silly. Zelda games had barebones alchemy before too (Skyward Sword, Windwaker, and Majora's Mask.) "

What? Why would it matter if Final Fantasy XV isn't out yet? Just what? They introduced Cooking in Final Fantasy XV years ago and just showed off cooking for cooking for Zelda a day ago. Omg..... how is it silly? How is cooking different from alchemy? Both use resources from the world. You think in games you don't have to pick herbs for Alchemy. Oh my...yes Zelda games also created alchemy....yes....

I can't...I actually got a headache from your post.

"There is only one race, the pathetic begging race"

Lawlight said:
You'd never see a Nintendo praise a Sony game.

Has a Sony ever praised a Microsoft?

Ali_16x said:

1. What the hell? You can't be serious? You JUST can't be serious. I'm downplaying Zelda by saying it went Open world? For most games, going open world would be considered a big leap. But for some reason, for Zelda, it's an insult? LOL?

2. let's just say Zelda created every feature EVER. 

"I can't think of a game that does it as flawlessly as this Zelda game is doing it. "

3. Lol see, this is basically what I'm talking about. You guys are literally acting like Zelda does everything, Zelda created everything.

4. You think Zelda is the first game to get transportation right? You obviously haven't played Just Cause. 

"Jumping off and going into gameplay: most open world games don't have this feature. "

5. Are you being serious? Why in the world would every game have this feature? What are you talking about? Why would Red Dead Redemption have you jumping off a horse into the sky with a gun? That doesn't even make sense. Games that need this feature, WILL HAVE THIS FEATURE. Assassin's Creed with killing people by jumping off the horse and killing them. Just Cause 2 with helicopters and cars. Why would Geralt jump off a horse into the sky with a SWORD. You are being absolutely ridiculous.

"Cooking? Final Fantasy XV isn't out, and it is missing all of the crafting features Zelda has. To compare using resources in the world realistically with alchemy is silly. Zelda games had barebones alchemy before too (Skyward Sword, Windwaker, and Majora's Mask.) "

6. What? Why would it matter if Final Fantasy XV isn't out yet? Just what? They introduced Cooking in Final Fantasy XV years ago and just showed off cooking for cooking for Zelda a day ago. Omg..... how is it silly? How is cooking different from alchemy? Both use resources from the world. You think in games you don't have to pick herbs for Alchemy. Oh my...yes Zelda games also created alchemy....yes....

I can't...I actually got a headache from your post.

1. Yes I am saying that. It has been the trend for most people to say things along the lines of "It is an upgrade for a Zelda game, but nothing new..." to downplay the game. If those weren't your intentions, then nevermind. If they were, then you know exactly that it is was downplaying. 

2. Where did I say that. Don't put words into my mouth. I was just noting that many of the features in this game are nothing new for the series, so to insinuate that Zelda went from being archaic to what it is with this game is silly. 

3.  Again stop misrepresenting what I said, and read it. I said "as flawlessly", I didn't say it invented the mechanic. 

4.  Again way to build a strawman. 

5.  That is a silly argument. I can definitely see Geralt being able to jump of his horse seemlessly and strike an enemy as a plus to the game's mechanics. Sure, not every game needs this, but many that can use it and don't have it. The implementation of it in this game is a plus, one which people should rightfully praise. 

6.  Because isn't the whole point of the your argument that BotW is taking everything it does from other games? The implementation is obviously different here. But if we are to talk about alchemy, OoT had alchemy in its most basic sense. Just having something does not mean it is a good implementation of it. There is a such a thing as changing and innovating within pre-existing mechanics, or fitting them into a much wider picture. Cooking and alchemy are not the same thing. One determines survival, it is a necessary feature to persist (it doesn't necessarily have to give a bonus, albeit it could), the other is just creating an item that gives buffs. 

sc94597 said:
pokoko said:

"Can you name me an open-world game with every single feature Zelda has? I can't, and it is the meta-genre I play the most."

That was my original post. I might've went about it in a roundabout way, but it was clear that I wasn't arguing that Zelda is innovating here (any more or less than any other open world game.) I was arguing that there is no game with the same package (set of features) as Zelda. Two entirely different arguments. 

And then here is the ending statement of the post you originally quoted:

"None of these features you mentioned are really even new to Zelda. Its their implementation, and how they all come together into one package. "

WOW. WOW. You are hands down the most ridiculous poster I've seen on this site. That's what I've been saying THE WHOLE TIME. Zelda is doing nothing new, they're just doing features we've already seen and putting them into a open world game. All games do open world differently.

I really wish VGC would introduce a ignore feature. I really do.

sc94597 said:
Ali_16x said:

Did you seriously just say the same thing 4 times?

Having problems with the website loading pages. 

Oh and nice try. You basically did it on purpose trying to make a point because I was wrong and had nothing to say, thinking that I wouldn't give a reply. Oh and the fact that you said it 4 times multiple minutes apart should also be obvious :).

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=7949632

And the fact that this post is different from the rest is obvious. I'm done with you.

"There is only one race, the pathetic begging race"