By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Sony's Shuhei Yoshida on The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Ali_16x said:
Goodnightmoon said:
There is a something new in this Zelda, but is not really in the new elements it brings to the saga but in HOW they are mixing them and translating them into the Zelda gameplay and the Nintendo style of making games, this looks to be one of the most dynamic, beautiful and fun open world experiences ever.

Zelda went "modern" open world, adding features we've already seen in open world games. And as BraLOD said, while Zelda isn't necessarily doing things we haven't seen before, it is a huge leap for Zelda as a series.

Can you name me an open-world game with every single feature Zelda has? I can't, and it is the genre I play the most. 

Around the Network

Jesus people. It's a guy saying he likes a game.

Shu, the head of Sonys first party studios, manages to be totally cool about the new Zelda game.

And here on VGC we can't even talk about that without it falling into console wars.

Bet with Adamblaziken:

I bet that on launch the Nintendo Switch will have no built in in-game voice chat. He bets that it will. The winner gets six months of avatar control over the other user.

jason1637 said:
Ali_16x said:

Please explain. Explain how Zelda is so different from all these open world games.

pokoko said:

What are you talking about?

I'm talking about the interaction with the game and the progressive system. In Zelda, you can literally interact with almost everything and what Sony has shown of horizon it don't see that type of interaction. Also in Zelda you can do whatever you want like you don;t even need to complete the story mode to beat a game. I've never seen a game with so much interaction with the world around it and games that you can beat without doing the story. It really is impressive tbh. 

Have you ever played an open-world game before?  Zelda, from what I've seen, doesn't stray much from open-world standards.  

I also question whether or not you've seen much of Horizon.  Rocks and trees get knocked over during combat.  She hides behind an outcropping and it gets blown up.  She shoots a rocket launcher off a dinobot then picks it up and uses it herself.  That's plenty interactive.

Ali_16x said:
Goodnightmoon said:
There is a something new in this Zelda, but is not really in the new elements it brings to the saga but in HOW they are mixing them and translating them into the Zelda gameplay and the Nintendo style of making games, this looks to be one of the most dynamic, beautiful and fun open world experiences ever.

Zelda went "modern" open world, adding features we've already seen in open world games. And as BraLOD said, while Zelda isn't necessarily doing things we haven't seen before, it is a huge leap for Zelda as a series.

Can you name me an open-world game with every single feature Zelda has? I can't, and it is the meta-genre I play the most. 

Ali_16x said:
Goodnightmoon said:

Can you name me an open-world game with every single feature Zelda has? I can't, and it is the genre I play the most. 

Around the Network
Ali_16x said:
jason1637 said:

I'm talking about the interaction with the game and the progressive system. In Zelda, you can literally interact with almost everything and what Sony has shown of horizon it don't see that type of interaction. Also in Zelda you can do whatever you want like you don;t even need to complete the story mode to beat a game. I've never seen a game with so much interaction with the world around it and games that you can beat without doing the story. It really is impressive tbh. 

What? You mean the fact that you can pick up things and that you can climb? Climbing has been open world games for quite a while and they actually showed climbing first on Horizon during the conference.

And the fact that you could pick up things? It's just something that this Zelda game does. Most open world games have something unique to them, whether is Dying Light with parkour, or Horizon with it's unique take on robot dinosaurs in which you destroy the robot parts to get to it's weak spot or tethering them to the ground or with Shadow of the Colossus with riding a horse and shooting off it and climbing things with a stamina meter. There is nothing special about this Zelda that we haven't seen in other open world games.

EDIT: And I swear I've seen games where you can pick up objects.

Bethesda games, you can pick up almost all small objects, like telephones, fans, pieces of armor, even bodies and body parts, and move them around.  You can pick up some heavy objects, too, though it makes you move slowly.  I very slowly moved a car engine into my settlement to turn into scrap.

Pavolink said:

2 Wii U's? So, he represents 50% of the Wii U userbase? Damn.

Heh! Oh you!

Ali_16x said:
Goodnightmoon said:

Can you name me an open-world game with every single feature Zelda has? I can't, and it is the meta-genre I play the most. 

Lawlight said:
You'd never see a Nintendo praise a Sony game.

You'll also never see a Microsoft walk into a bar and buy a Nintendo a drink.

sc94597 said:
Ali_16x said:

Lol? Did you even read what I said? Where did I say that there is a game out there that is doing everything Zelda is doing. I said we've already seen features that Zelda is doing in open world games these days.

You think there aren't games that take a bunch of open world features and put them into a game? Horizon does the, "Go anywhere you can see" feature. Horizon has mounting, a feature we've seen since literally forever. Horizon has crafting a feature we've seen forever. Horizon has destructable environments, Horizon has equipable weapons and armor etc. I can go on. And the thing is, we've barely seen anything of Horizon. We've seen 15 minutes total. They're keeping a bunch of things a mystery

Let's go into Zelda's features.

Horse Riding and shooting off it? Shadow of the Colossus, a 2005 game.

Jumping off and going into gameplay? Batman Arkham Knight with the Batmobile, shown E3 2014, before Nintendo showed Zelda gameplay.

Cooking? Final Fantasy XV just recently and it's basically just alchemy which hundreds of games do.

Super Huge worlds? Lol I can name so many.

Gliding? Just Cause 3.

And as I said, I'm sure there is something that Zelda does unique, like the way you use your shield to travel. But then again, most games have unique features like that. Like Horizon where you can thether enemies to the ground or w/e.

But you guys seriously need too stop acting like this Zelda game has created features which we've seen in games already.

"There is only one race, the pathetic begging race"