Forums - Gaming Discussion - How long will Neo and Scorpio be supported?

So we have rough specs for both mid-gen consoles, now. Both feature much stronger gpu's while cpu balance seems even less important to them than before. Higher resolutions seem to be the selling point with minimal changes to other visuals or performance and no changes to game design.

Where will this leave these two consoles when 9th gen arrives? Will they lose support at the same time as the original PS4 and XBO after only a few years on the market? Will they become the new lowest common denominator that games are designed around until the next mid-gen refresh? Do you think they are powered and balanced enough to support new 9th gen games? Would average frame rates improve at all if they do become the new LCD? Would you buy in to either system if they remain 8th gen only and at what price point?

Curious to hear your thoughts.



Around the Network

20 months.



This is the slow segue towards yearly console releases like mobile phones and cars. Heck, MS is technically releasing 2 new pieces of hardware over the next 2 years. I imagine Sony will do something similar.

Console gens won't be a thing anymore, instead games will come out for the current years hardware and be mandated (by the console manufacturers) to still run on hardware X number of years back.



Platinums: Red Dead Redemption, Killzone 2, LittleBigPlanet, Terminator Salvation, Uncharted 1, inFamous Second Son, Rocket League

JOKA_ said:
This is the slow segue towards yearly console releases like mobile phones and cars. Heck, MS is technically releasing 2 new pieces of hardware over the next 2 years. I imagine Sony will do something similar.

Console gens won't be a thing anymore, instead games will come out for the current years hardware and be mandated (by the console manufacturers) to still run on hardware X number of years back.

And you think this is what console gamers want?



Nem said:
JOKA_ said:
This is the slow segue towards yearly console releases like mobile phones and cars. Heck, MS is technically releasing 2 new pieces of hardware over the next 2 years. I imagine Sony will do something similar.

Console gens won't be a thing anymore, instead games will come out for the current years hardware and be mandated (by the console manufacturers) to still run on hardware X number of years back.

And you think this is what console gamers want?

No, I personally hate the idea of it.  But unfortuantly what I want isn't necessarily whats I think is going to happen.



Platinums: Red Dead Redemption, Killzone 2, LittleBigPlanet, Terminator Salvation, Uncharted 1, inFamous Second Son, Rocket League

Around the Network
JOKA_ said:
Nem said:

And you think this is what console gamers want?

No, I personally hate the idea of it.  But unfortuantly what I want isn't necessarily whats I think is going to happen.

What happens is what the market wants, not necessarely what the manufacturers want. So, we will see if console gamers are interested in that or not. Just cause it works on the portable market, it doesn't mean it will work on the console market. They are very different purchases that see very different uses. You don't take your console out with you everyday, so it won't have the social status that an expensive phone has, for example.

I do think they want that, but i don't think the consumers do. Only the more hardcore ofc. But will those be enough to make the investment worth it?



Until the real Playstation 5 & Xbox Two.
That should be around 2020.

So Id guess about 3 years.
After that, they might not get every new game anymore, but Im sure they ll both still see tons of titles.

Playstation 3 is still getting new games now.



Nem said:
JOKA_ said:

No, I personally hate the idea of it.  But unfortuantly what I want isn't necessarily whats I think is going to happen.

What happens is what the market wants, not necessarely what the manufacturers want. So, we will see if console gamers are interested in that or not. Just cause it works on the portable market, it doesn't mean it will work on the console market. They are very different purchases that see very different uses. You don't take your console out with you everyday, so it won't have the social status that an expensive phone has, for example.

I do think they want that, but i don't think the consumers do. Only the more hardcore ofc. But will those be enough to make the investment worth it?

I honestly think it will succeed, to my annoyance.  I think that more 'hardcore' gamers who post on forums (like you are I) will resist but the mass market consumers won't care.



Platinums: Red Dead Redemption, Killzone 2, LittleBigPlanet, Terminator Salvation, Uncharted 1, inFamous Second Son, Rocket League

JOKA_ said:
Nem said:

What happens is what the market wants, not necessarely what the manufacturers want. So, we will see if console gamers are interested in that or not. Just cause it works on the portable market, it doesn't mean it will work on the console market. They are very different purchases that see very different uses. You don't take your console out with you everyday, so it won't have the social status that an expensive phone has, for example.

I do think they want that, but i don't think the consumers do. Only the more hardcore ofc. But will those be enough to make the investment worth it?

I honestly think it will succeed, to my annoyance.  I think that more 'hardcore' gamers who post on forums (like you are I) will resist but the mass market consumers won't care.

Interesting. I think it will be the opposite. Casuals won't be able to tell the difference. Much like the Wii and Wii U.



Probably not long enough to make me wanna buy them (3 years or so).