By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - How long will Neo and Scorpio be supported?

4 years at best once a true generation comes upon us ...

Around the Network

Longer than old PS4.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

The "9th gen" won't happen as you expect. The original xbo/ps4 will be phased out, neo/scorpio will be the new basic model and a neo2/scorpio2 will be more powerful machines available at the same time with the same games. Incremental upgrades is the future, no more traditional generations.

Multiple Devices available at the same time, each device supported, not until the next more powerful device launches, but until the device after that launches.

dharh said:
Nem said:

What happens is what the market wants, not necessarely what the manufacturers want. So, we will see if console gamers are interested in that or not. Just cause it works on the portable market, it doesn't mean it will work on the console market. They are very different purchases that see very different uses. You don't take your console out with you everyday, so it won't have the social status that an expensive phone has, for example.

I do think they want that, but i don't think the consumers do. Only the more hardcore ofc. But will those be enough to make the investment worth it?

Gamers will want it if they can play new games being released now on 3-4 year old $199 hardware just the same as $499 brand new hardware except for the fact that the older hardware will be lower res with less effects.  Some people already wait years and years to buy next gen consoles until its cheap, even going so far as to wait for the next gen after to release before buying it.  People are right now buying PS3s and XB360s for the first time to replace their PS2s and original XBOXs.

Its not 3-4 years. None of the systems is at 199 yet, nor close. The brand new titles will be advertised for the new systems and people will get a version that is visibly inferior and will feel cheated.

That is actually the worst case scenario. Where consumers lose trust on the market completely and abandon it.

As for the final point, if people already do that, imagine how many more will do it because they know their new gen system is gonna run games like crap down the line? Early adoption will tank.

But those extreme cases you are using are really a minority.

Its not a matter of hardware support but support of the OS.

Consoles are moving to a mobile-style platform where every couple years there is a hardware iteration and separately there are OS and middle-ware tool iterations. Hardware only becomes obsolete as the OS/Middle-ware can no longer support it, again similar to any phone which is actually about 3 or 4 years out.

Meaning in 4 years XboxOne / PS4 won't receive latest OS updates, but may still play games as long as those games will run on that version of software. This is why you're seeing more powerful hardware only a couple years into their lives.

Around the Network

What I see them doing IF it takes off, is eventually releasing a newer, more beefed up version and phasing out the PS4 altogether. Then the Neo and Scorpio would be the new PS4 until the cycle repeats itself.

I really hope both fail though. If I need to upgrade my consoles for max performance, I am going master race.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

Nem said:
dharh said:

Gamers will want it if they can play new games being released now on 3-4 year old $199 hardware just the same as $499 brand new hardware except for the fact that the older hardware will be lower res with less effects.  Some people already wait years and years to buy next gen consoles until its cheap, even going so far as to wait for the next gen after to release before buying it.  People are right now buying PS3s and XB360s for the first time to replace their PS2s and original XBOXs.

Its not 3-4 years. None of the systems is at 199 yet, nor close. The brand new titles will be advertised for the new systems and people will get a version that is visibly inferior and will feel cheated.

That is actually the worst case scenario. Where consumers lose trust on the market completely and abandon it.

As for the final point, if people already do that, imagine how many more will do it because they know their new gen system is gonna run games like crap down the line? Early adoption will tank.

But those extreme cases you are using are really a minority.

It hasn't been a full 3 years yet since release.  The NEO/SCORPIO will probably release when their respective older siblings are nearing 4 years, meaning 3rd or 4th quarter next year.  So maybe at 5 years we'll get PS4/XBONE S at $249.  So you can spend $399-499 for 4k30fps capable console with some better but nowhere near next gen graphics or settle for $249-299 for 1080p30fps for current gen graphics.  I certainly won't buy the NEO/SCORPIO and wont feel cheated just because my PS4 and XBONE are no longer the 'best' console graphics period.  The PC has already beaten the shit out of us for years now.

I think you overestimate how much trust or care _normal_ consumers have about this type of stuff. 

I never said they weren't a minority, just said the segment exists and will continue to exist.

A warrior keeps death on the mind from the moment of their first breath to the moment of their last.

4 years til the new upgrade comes out. But it think they will still get supported after the one upgrades come out like how the xb1 and xb1s will be supported when Scorpio comes out so like 6 years. 

I found something funny that I thought I would share.
http://www.xbox2gamers.com/release-date-countdown

http://www.ps5playstation5.com/ps5-release-date-countdown