By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - How long will Neo and Scorpio be supported?

Probably what we will see after a few years is that the standard PS4 and Scorpio will be dropped, new consoles will appear, and the Neo and Scorpio will be the new baseline for game support.

That's actually not so bad.

What that would mean, in a nutshell, is that backwards compatibility would be automatic and ingrained back to the PS4 and Xbox One even 10 years or so forward. It will be very much like PC, where you don't lose your games just because you upgraded your system.

Around the Network
Nem said:
JOKA_ said:

No, I personally hate the idea of it.  But unfortuantly what I want isn't necessarily whats I think is going to happen.

What happens is what the market wants, not necessarely what the manufacturers want. So, we will see if console gamers are interested in that or not. Just cause it works on the portable market, it doesn't mean it will work on the console market. They are very different purchases that see very different uses. You don't take your console out with you everyday, so it won't have the social status that an expensive phone has, for example.

I do think they want that, but i don't think the consumers do. Only the more hardcore ofc. But will those be enough to make the investment worth it?

Gamers will want it if they can play new games being released now on 3-4 year old $199 hardware just the same as $499 brand new hardware except for the fact that the older hardware will be lower res with less effects.  Some people already wait years and years to buy next gen consoles until its cheap, even going so far as to wait for the next gen after to release before buying it.  People are right now buying PS3s and XB360s for the first time to replace their PS2s and original XBOXs.

A warrior keeps death on the mind from the moment of their first breath to the moment of their last.

pokoko said:
Probably what we will see after a few years is that the standard PS4 and Scorpio will be dropped, new consoles will appear, and the Neo and Scorpio will be the new baseline for game support.

Do you think they sound adequately designed to support new 9th gen experiences, then?

As long as the PS4 and XOne gets support

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]

1% of devs will patch there games so it can look better in Neo and Scorpio then game won't buy them and then they will be discontinued.

PS4 - over 100 millions let's say 120m
Xbox One - 70m
Wii U - 25m

Vita - 15m if it will not get Final Fantasy Kingdoms Heart and Monster Hunter 20m otherwise
3DS - 80m

Around the Network

I have posed this question in another thread, cant remember which. So I'll just ask it again.

PS3/360 had 512MB of ram and GPUs equivalent to around 300Gflops.

PS4/XB1 has ~5GB or (app) ram and GPUs with power of around 1.2-1.8TF.

Can anyome show me a game made fir the PS4/XB1 in the last 3yrs that will be compketely impossible to make on the PS3/360?

Impossible to run, so even if its downgraded to hell and back but still could run then that doesnt count.

Now take that answer, then lets see how the supposed PS5/XB2 with 16GB of ram, CPU thats 2/3 times as powerful and GPUs thats 8 times more powerful than the stock PS4/XB1 will have games that will be impossible to run on the PS4/XB1.

Mind you, we already can have PC rigs with that kimda power available today..... yet there isnt a game in existence that can only run on the must elite and extreme of gaming hardware. If intended, everything out there can be made to run on the current consoles in some shape or form.

forever

TallSilhouette said:
pokoko said:

Do you think they sound adequately designed to support new 9th gen experiences, then?

The whole model with probably change.  I mean, "generations" are kind of artificial to begin with.  PC isn't concerned with generations.  The problem that PC has, relative to that, is that there is no common baseline.  That means you really don't know sometimes if your system will run a new game or not until you try it.  Suggested specs are pretty much shots in the dark.

Really, the .5 model isn't so bad, as long as it retains backward compatibility indefinitely that way PC does.  Obviously, there will come an XP-to-Vista jump eventually but hopefully there is a nice window of time between.

As far as being adequately designed, I don't really know.  Resolution is becoming everything, as hardware keeps trying to push new standards in many different industries.  It's like "resolution, THEN everything else."  Personally, I don't like that at all but that's how it works out.  People don't miss the sacrifices they don't see.

The other question I have is price.  Scorpio will drop over time but will it be at a fair price when IT becomes the lowest baseline for new games?  If the trend continues, console prices could start to inch upwards again as console makers try to compete with PC.

TallSilhouette said:

So we have rough specs for both mid-gen consoles, now.

How do you call "the most powerful console ever" a mid gen console?

Rob5VGC said:
TallSilhouette said:

So we have rough specs for both mid-gen consoles, now.

How do you call "the most powerful console ever" a mid gen console?

Because both MS and Sony are making it very clear that these are not meant to replace the original spec and the only difference is performance with no change in design or compatibility. As far as we know Scorpio is not the start of a new generation for MS which phases out the previous generation of hardware. Hence mid-gen.