By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Nintendo NX will be dead on Arrival.

Blester said:
I can't help but agree with this. I won't be buying whatever the NX is, seriously, i don't care anymore. If Nintendo didn't care about the Wii U, what kind of guarantee you have that this will be successful? As hard as it is to say as a Nintendo fan, i just want them to go 3rd party at this point. There's no use in trying to compete if they have never tried to compete in the past since the Game Cube era.

If you actually are a Nintendo fan as you claim to be, you would say that after you know what the system is.  You can have doubts, as I'm sure a very large portion of people do.  No one knows anything for sure about the NX except insiders. 

Around the Network
MDMAlliance said:
Blester said:
I can't help but agree with this. I won't be buying whatever the NX is, seriously, i don't care anymore. If Nintendo didn't care about the Wii U, what kind of guarantee you have that this will be successful? As hard as it is to say as a Nintendo fan, i just want them to go 3rd party at this point. There's no use in trying to compete if they have never tried to compete in the past since the Game Cube era.

If you actually are a Nintendo fan as you claim to be, you would say that after you know what the system is.  You can have doubts, as I'm sure a very large portion of people do.  No one knows anything for sure about the NX except insiders. 

No, seriously i don't have doubts in my mind. I just felt so slapped in the face by Nintendo with the Wii U that i'm not interested in what they have at all. It has been a long journey, since the Super Nintendo (where i started) to the Wii U. I mean who knows, maybe, if they do EVERYTHING right this time with the NX, i might consider it, but right now, no. Nintendo is so out of touch right now, you even wonder if they understand what we really want.

MDMAlliance said:
vivster said:

Yep. As long as there is the fleeting one time success of the Wii, Nintendo fans will never lose hope.

I guess if NX fails as well, its successor is gonna be a smash hit for sure! Because precedent and brand power have no impact on sales whatsoever.

You're missing the point, really.  People didn't expect the Wii to succeed, and only in hindsight do people call it a fad.  Did we even know such a thing was possible at the time?  The thing is that success isn't outside the realms of possibility.  Jumpin is probably exaggerating things, but if it were so easy to understand the market, businesses would be successul more often.

Technology has come far since the Wii, very far actually. Since then we've been through all possible technological enhancements for gaming. There is nothing the NX will do that we have not seen in the past 3 years. Nintendo has lost its lead in gaming innovation. MS and Sony already covered all bases and are currently leading in VR/AR. Nintendo is not magic, they have the same technology available as everyone else, even worse they're usually going with low fidelity.

Of course people can wait for the magical unicorn but times have changed since the Wii. Nintendo is with its back at the wall, their brand is as weak as it ever was. Nintendo has no choice to go yet again after non-gamers because they will sure as hell not entice the hardcore crowd.

And yes my friends, that is called a "prediction". It is based on a thing called current state of the industry, aka the base on which all predictions are made. It does not matter that we have no info about the NX. If we had info it wouldn't be called a prediction, it would be facts.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

vivster said:
MDMAlliance said:

You're missing the point, really.  People didn't expect the Wii to succeed, and only in hindsight do people call it a fad.  Did we even know such a thing was possible at the time?  The thing is that success isn't outside the realms of possibility.  Jumpin is probably exaggerating things, but if it were so easy to understand the market, businesses would be successul more often.

Technology has come far since the Wii, very far actually. Since then we've been through all possible technological enhancements for gaming. There is nothing the NX will do that we have not seen in the past 3 years. Nintendo has lost its lead in gaming innovation. MS and Sony already covered all bases and are currently leading in VR/AR. Nintendo is not magic, they have the same technology available as everyone else, even worse they're usually going with low fidelity.

Of course people can wait for the magical unicorn but times have changed since the Wii. Nintendo is with its back at the wall, their brand is as weak as it ever was. Nintendo has no choice to go yet again after non-gamers because they will sure as hell not entice the hardcore crowd.

And yes my friends, that is called a "prediction". It is based on a thing called current state of the industry, aka the base on which all predictions are made. It does not matter that we have no info about the NX. If we had info it wouldn't be called a prediction, it would be facts.

Even if I give you the most well-formed position, you still wouldn't agree at all.  You think you're right, and there are no other positions to be had on this.  I'm not arguing about the possibility of the NX actually being unable to compete in the market, but you don't know anything about the NX and it DOES matter.  You think all that matters in the industry is where technology is and what Nintendo has done in its past.  The problem with that thinking is that it neglects a LOT of information.  So, hypothetically speaking, if the NX actually does succeed what would you say?  You were wrong?  Or would you just make some relative statement?  If the NX does indeed die, it means nothing to me because I'm not actually claiming the system will succeed.  I'm just pointing out there's no real basis for saying you know it will fail.  Only doubts that it will be able to succeed are valid. 

Blester said:
MDMAlliance said:

No, seriously i don't have doubts in my mind. I just felt so slapped in the face by Nintendo with the Wii U that i'm not interested in what they have at all. It has been a long journey, since the Super Nintendo (where i started) to the Wii U. I mean who knows, maybe, if they do EVERYTHING right this time with the NX, i might consider it, but right now, no. Nintendo is so out of touch right now, you even wonder if they understand what we really want.

That's the point.  You don't know IF they will do everything right or not.  It's a long shot, but no one here knows anything.  You can't even make a prediction about something that isn't even out, that no one knows anything about except for like... two games coming for it.  You can only predict what it MIGHT be based off of their track record, but that's not completely reliable since things have changed since then.

edit: You can give up on a personal level because you're tired, but you can't actually know that it's a failure.

Around the Network
MDMAlliance said:
Blester said:

That's the point.  You don't know IF they will do everything right or not.  It's a long shot, but no one here knows anything.  You can't even make a prediction about something that isn't even out, that no one knows anything about except for like... two games coming for it.  You can only predict what it MIGHT be based off of their track record, but that's not completely reliable since things have changed since then.

edit: You can give up on a personal level because you're tired, but you can't actually know that it's a failure.

No, i must agree on that. That i don't know. Just call it a hunch. I don't want to be pessimistic and stuff, but right now Nintendo doesn't have the odds in they favor so it's hard to see them having success with the console even if nothing is known yet, actually is their biggest advantage right now, because you can only hope, just to be dissapointed in the end if Nintendo keeps doing things the way they are doing right now.

MDMAlliance said:
vivster said:

Even if I give you the most well-formed position, you still wouldn't agree at all.  You think you're right, and there are no other positions to be had on this.  I'm not arguing about the possibility of the NX actually being unable to compete in the market, but you don't know anything about the NX and it DOES matter.  You think all that matters in the industry is where technology is and what Nintendo has done in its past.  The problem with that thinking is that it neglects a LOT of information.  So, hypothetically speaking, if the NX actually does succeed what would you say?  You were wrong?  Or would you just make some relative statement?  If the NX does indeed die, it means nothing to me because I'm not actually claiming the system will succeed.  I'm just pointing out there's no real basis for saying you know it will fail.  Only doubts that it will be able to succeed are valid. 

Oh I never did say it will fail. I only said that it will have a very hard time to compete with Sony. I don't even know what Nintendo fans would define as success. 20 million, 50 million, more than PS4?

I'm being a realist here. The chances of Nintendo pulling off the impossible and somehow pull another Wii are astronomically low. Like winning in the lottery low. Of course it's possible but betting on it is not advisable. That's why people go the safer route and bet on it to fail. And to be fair, the arguments for it failing are many, yet the only argument for it not failing are "Nintendo will do something that no one expects". So who got the flimsier base for predictions?

People love to predict because it is gambling, because there is a chance to lose. Not predicting just because there is no information is for the weak.

My prediction is that the NX will sell very well in the first 2 years because Nintendo fans are pretty much starved. 10 million in the first 2 years is not a stretch. After that it will fall off like the Wii U because the Nintendo fan base just isn't big enough anymore and people who don't care about Nintendo games will have very little reason to buy it.

Of course this is all based on the NX being a home console only. If it's a hybrid it will sell a lot better of course and I cannot see it failing then.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Blester said:
MDMAlliance said:

No, i must agree on that. That i don't know. Just call it a hunch. I don't want to be pessimistic and stuff, but right now Nintendo doesn't have the odds in they favor so it's hard to see them having success with the console even if nothing is known yet, actually is their biggest advantage right now, because you can only hope, just to be dissapointed in the end if Nintendo keeps doing things the way they are doing right now.

Yeah,, that's okay as I can understand why people will feel that way.  Nintendo hasn't done much in a long time, it's hard to see how they can pull through.  I just don't like absolute statements, because we can't know.  Especially when we have nothing to go off of except for some very large generalizations from a very complex system.  For me, I am cautiously optimistic.  I wont be surprised if they mess it up, but I have hope they can do something.

vivster said:
MDMAlliance said:

Oh I never did say it will fail. I only said that it will have a very hard time to compete with Sony. I don't even know what Nintendo fans would define as success. 20 million, 50 million, more than PS4?

I'm being a realist here. The chances of Nintendo pulling off the impossible and somehow pull another Wii are astronomically low. Like winning in the lottery low. Of course it's possible but betting on it is not advisable. That's why people go the safer route and bet on it to fail. And to be fair, the arguments for it failing are many, yet the only argument for it not failing are "Nintendo will do something that no one expects". So who got the flimsier base for predictions?

People love to predict because it is gambling, because there is a chance to lose. Not predicting just because there is no information is for the weak.

My prediction is that the NX will sell very well in the first 2 years because Nintendo fans are pretty much starved. 10 million in the first 2 years is not a stretch. After that it will fall off like the Wii U because the Nintendo fan base just isn't big enough anymore and people who don't care about Nintendo games will have very little reason to buy it.

Of course this is all based on the NX being a home console only. If it's a hybrid it will sell a lot better of course and I cannot see it failing then.

It's a probabilities game, yeah.  However, there are ideas that could be done that we wouldn't think of that are possibly things that can imitate the success of the Wii.   I doubt it, but I don't think I can claim to know how likely it is.  It's something that would be beyond me.

MDMAlliance said:
vivster said:

It's a probabilities game, yeah.  However, there are ideas that could be done that we wouldn't think of that are possibly things that can imitate the success of the Wii.   I doubt it, but I don't think I can claim to know how likely it is.  It's something that would be beyond me.

Yeah, but do you realize something? All these hopes of NX not failing are based on wishes that something unexpected happens while the predictions on NX failing are all based on cold hard facts about Nintendo's current standing in the gaming industry.

That's why I get really annoyed when my arguments are called baseless speculation.