By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - [Opinion] Sony pulled NEO from E3 because they realized it would be the weakest of the 3 consoles within a year

I think they pulled it out cause they didnt want the negative press.

Microsoft has no problem with it apparantly.

These new consoles are rip-offs and will make current gen consoles lose value. Who is gonna buy the next gen at launch now knowing something more powerful will be coming down the line? These new consoles are dangerous. They may very well lead the market to contraction.

Actually why buy these? There may be better versions coming 1 or 2 years later. It is greed. Nothing more. We don't need new more powerful consoles just to run gimmicks such as VR. Where is the focus on creating great games?

Around the Network
kitler53 said:
Nautilus said:

You confuse common sense with assumptions.The 360 last generation was selling much better than the PS3, but Sony managed to turn the tides of it, comercially speaking of course.That is an example to show that you can turn the tides of things.But most importanly, Scorpio will be a new generation, by the way Microsoft explained it.They said Scorpio would have backwards compatibility, but never said the other way around would work.And even if it did, then the console would have no appeal at all, since it couldnt use the full potential of the console(or the XOne version would suck to the point that the true version to play is going to be the Scorpio one).By that I mean, Microsoft is going for a new market.And we dont know what the NX is, and we dont know what market it is targeting.

So yeah, if Sony gets cocky because it is winning now, we will have a PS3 situation all over again.

sony turned the tide around on ps3 by investing in first party games to release an steady stream of first party exclusives.

so...

A) having watch this conference it was a year of reshowing the games announced last year and forza horizon 3 (which in itself isn't surprising since it is an annual franchise now).  clearly ms is making no such investment in their first party.

B) ms announced that all their games are coming to pc.  while in theory this is a great thing history has shown that gamers do not like games that are not true exclusives.  their exclusives will now always be viewed as "exclusives" instread of exclusives.

C) ps4 and ps4 neo is stated forwards/backwards compatible.  this means 3rd parties will develop a game targeting scorpio's hardware exclusively.  it doesn't matter that scorpio isn't advertised as BC with xbox one,.. developers don't like making games for small user bases to begin and you saw this with the long tail of support for 360/ps3 heading into this gen.  with playstation is mandating "last gen" support on neo that tail will only last longer.  no 3rd party will do anything substantial with scorpios specs for years unless the game is fully excusive to the platform which would be financial sucide.

without 3rd party exclusives,.. with few if any 1st party "exclusives",.. ms is going to have a hard time marketing why the upgrade is needed. 

Sony turned the tide of the PS3 commercially.Financially it was a disaster, they bleeded money the entire generation because of that initial mistake.If they had another victory like that with the PS4, they would probably go out of the business.

But with the rest, I completely agree with you.I would even add that Microsoft dont care for the console part, at least not as much as the past, and just want people to go to PC, and for me I think that the are trying to appeal to the PC audience with the Scorpio.I dont know, I just odnt see this Scorpio as a good idea.

The only thing that I dont agree with you is about Neo having that mandatory thing.I mean, sure that Sony will enforce it in the beginning, and since Neo have much a smaller jump in power, keeping both versions working flawlessly seems more plausible, but I dont think they will keep it along the years, in the sense that Neo games will be MUCH better than the original PS4 versions to the point that they will seem like two different games.

I dont like this upgradable idea.We are not like the PC space.We are not like the mobile industry.We have a different "culture" and this upgradable idea, at least the way is presented, dosent seem that will work, at least long term.

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

Seriously? The people thinking 4.5 vs 6 as a big difference, are probably the some ones that make up the PS4 '50%' more powerful nonsince.

It's not a big enough different for more everyone to see.

Really not sure I see any point of Consol over PC's since Kinect, Wii and other alternative ways to play have been abandoned. 

Top 50 'most fun' game list coming soon!

Tell me a funny joke!

that is not a opinion though because you are guessing, guessing and having a opinion is two different things.

I believe in my assumption that they rather keep things secret long enough to ensure Victory upon release, which also includes observing what the competitions are currently doing. That is what i believe to be the case

PSN: Opticstrike90
Steam: opticstrike90

Really? To me it made no sense from the start to announce it at E3 only for it to release many months later. Especially if it doesn't launch until 2017...

Around the Network
vivster said:
Nautilus said:

LOL

No, it isnt.You could say that NOW they have a better brand awareness than the two of them, but much stronger?No way in hell, especially since Nintendo KILLED Sony and Microsoft last gen.But even in the NOW, Nintendo have much better brand streght.Sony is doing so well now because of mainly two things:First they did all things right.Marketing, third party deals, PR, and so on.Second is that they have all western third party and most japanese third party game go only to PS.So most things that makes them successful arent actually in their control.If Nintendo gets their shit together(And I agree its going to be hard) and gets third party support and japanese support, and supposing that their version arent lesser than the other ones, Sony will have NOTHING on Nintendo.Nintendo IP, brand awareness, nostalgia would just run over Sony in that regard.Sony has some good IPs, but not nearly in the same quantity or quality as Nintendo.

Sony is ahead now, but anything can happen in the next few years.

I wouldn't call selling 10% more consoles than a console with a really bad start as "killing". Sony's brand strength is never selling less than 80 million consoles. What exactly is Nintendo's strength? A brand so strong that it can't even convince 15m people to buy a console with many great exclusives that they can't get anywhere else? Doesn't sound that strong to me. BTW having3rd party exclzusives is a greatsign of brand strength and proper management and public relations. If Nintendo can't even entice developers making games for their console how can they hope to entice people to buy their console?

The PS3 sold millions more software than the Wii despite being millions of units behind. Only shows how low Nintendo consumer's investment is with their consoles.

Nintendo beat Sony once in 4 console cycles. Slightly.

the difference last gen is that Nintendo did sell more than Sony yes, but the real difference is that they made so much more profit than Sony.Success is not measured in the number of consoles you sell, but how much money you make selling it and the softwares.Sony bled money last gen, while nintendo printed it.Not only that, but even with a console that sold only 15 million, it manages to get insane atach ratios with many games, something that Sony wouldnt be able to do.But enough about that, its not constructive to the point im trying to make.

The point that I am trying to do is that 3rd party are not loyal, they will go where the money is.While I do agree that having all erd party with them now IS  a sign of their current strenght, that could easily change, because as I said, they will go where the money is.If Nintendo manages to get everything right with NX(and please spare me the "Nintendo dosent know what it is doing" kind of thought), they can "steal the biggest draw of the PS system.And while PS has some truly great franchises, such as Uncharted and God of War, they dont come even near the appeal that Nintendo IPs have, like Mario, Zelda, Smash, Splatoon, Fire Emblem, and many many more.

I do love Playstation.The PS2 is my second favorite console ever, but I can also see the potential(and the flaws) of both companies.Now we only need to wait and see what the NX is all about.If the NX ends not having enough appeal(in my vision at least), I will grant you that you were right.

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

Also both platforms are still at the drawing board, it's just a concept so far. So let us not sit here and discussing what mistakes that have been made or not, cause it's a waste of time when none of these consoles physically exist outside the concept art

PSN: Opticstrike90
Steam: opticstrike90

celador said:
Nah, pretty sure the NX is rumoured to be around the power of the standard X1

And to have SCD to boost power well above current consoles.

And a demo not capable of running in other hardware than high end PC's.

Not a constant of how powerful it is, right?

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

pokoko said:
Nautilus said:

Then I think Scorpio is simply stupid.I mean, its going to be 4 times more powerful and wont be able to use nearly half the power because its going to be hold back because of XOne.Or the Scorpio version will be so much better, that if you play the XOne version, you will feel like playing a different game, much like Black Ops 3 with the current and last gen versions.

I dont know, I cant see nothing good coming out of this.

It's just like buying a $1200 PC instead of a $800 PC.  People will pay a LOT of money to play Ultra High instead of High.

Scorpio/Neo are for better visuals, better framerate, 4K gaming, and VR.  Xbox One, especially, has trouble with resolution, so that should be solved.

But would it justify the mass manufactoring of it?I dont see it selling enough if it is too much expensive.

Sony always copies Nintendo. They held back because they need to wait to see the secrets of NX.