By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - [Opinion] Sony pulled NEO from E3 because they realized it would be the weakest of the 3 consoles within a year

I think its more likely they dont wanna hurt their own sales.
They ll announce it closer to release, instead of 5-6months out (if they dont do it at E3).

Around the Network

I think they just didn't need to show anything since they're ahead on hardware sales for a wide margin.

But I do think it would be harsh to show an upgrade when the competition are basically starting a new gen next year.

Scorpio is a big leap in specs from the one, it may not be a "new console" according to Microsoft, but it pretty much is regardless if they want to accept it or not.

I think it's more so that it doesn't sound like a good idea. The scorpio still leaves a bad taste in my mouth, especially the reveal. It felt like the reveal of a new console like the PS4, but it's not... I really don't want this to be a new standard >_>;

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

I hope Neo and Scorpio coincide with GTAVI for some serious numbers in the gaming industry. Maybe Sony delayed Neo to better match up with bigger games.

I'm almost certain that it will be Nintendo that has the weakest platform ...

Around the Network

The rumored specs for the PS4 neo are exactly that, rumoured. Just because the Scorpio rumours was true doesn't mean the Ps4 neo ones are. They come from different sources after all.

Secondly, Scorpio has a 2304SP GPU that generates it's 6teraflops. The PS4 neo is rumoured to have a 36CU GPU, which in the Radeon RX480 instances gives it 2304SP's, exactly the same as Scorpio. In Scorpio it generates 6 teraflops, but the PS4 neo rumours point to 4.5teraflops, however this is purely calculated based on the rumoured 911MHz clock rate. 

So, it is likely that Scorpio and neo are running the same or very similar silicon based on the SP count of the GPU and the timing with AMD's release of its Polaris architecture, and therefore any differences in power are likely clockspeed related, which can be changed at any time really (if they really are 'changed', as the Neo's speed hasn't been announced).

Sony's desire not to cannibalize current sales is a very good reason not to announce it, conversely MS announcing it 18months from release is very uncharacteristic, rarely do new consoles get announced so far out, let alone updated models. If seems to me MS announced it because they thought Sony would and wanted to get the first airing, but missed because Sony hasn't announced anything other than Neo is coming.

We really won't know until Sony give out the full specs.

Watch Xb one sales fall off even more. Why bother buying Xb one now when you can get a far superior machine next year with full backwards compatibility. Will probably be able to play Xb360 games natively too.

If Sony shows Neo now, without a launch date, then they would get shit for not having a launch date. If they showed Neo now with a launch date that's not later this year, then they negatively affect holiday 2016 sales.

Given Neo is merely supposed to be an intragen upgrade they don't need much lead time between announcement and launch. The timeframe is more like the launch of a slim model rather than a new gen machine. So if they plan to release Neo Q2 of 2017, they could announce the date at PAX in January 2017.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

yeah! Sony was in fear!

In Sony We Trust!