By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Leaked benchmarks for AMD Radeon RX 480 hits minimum VR spec for $199

nanarchy said:

Card looks to be fantastic value for money, would have preferred if it was maybe 10% higher performance but it is certainly the card that is going into the machines I am building in July for myself and a couple of friends. perfect for 1080p gaming and ok for 1440p and provides some capacity for VR while sucking less juice than previous gen offerings. No it doesn't compete with the 1070 or 1080 but then it was never meant to except in price where it slaughters both in bang for buck. I am just glad I don't have to get another Nvidia card!

I doubt it is going to be any good for VR, not with all the bells and whistles turned on anyway.

VR's resolution and framerate is 2160x1200 @ 90fps in most cases.

And considering that Tomb Raider, Ashes of Singularity, Battlefield 4, Crysis 3, The Witcher 3, The Division, GTA 5, Hitman and more isn't able to hit 90fps (Heck, it even struggles to hit 60fps) at 1920x1080... With everything turned on... Well. You get the idea.

You would need to turn the graphics effects down for VR, which in my opinion isn't an ideal scenario.

You would likely need a pair of these for the best VR experience.

yep, hence why I said "some" capacity for VR, it comes in just above the entry level requirements which at least allows you to try it out and if need be you can throw a second card in(though VR really doesn't interest me enough to bother). What I actually expect is this card is a great mid range card that is a good compromise on performance vs price and provides a good future. AMD seem to have made the right choices for a change.

Around the Network
oodles2do said:

I agree with waiting for 3rd party cards, this PC is the first that I've custom configured and I don't really know much about motherboards. What do I need for dual PCI-E power? Is that simply from the power supply? The board that I've had to go for (to stick to the configurator on the website) has 1 PCI-E slot for GPU's.

GPU's are allowed to draw up-to 75 watts of power from the PCI-E slot on the motherboard.

The rest comes from the PCI-E 6/8-pin power cables from the power supply unit, 6 pin PCI-E power cables will provide an extra 75w of power, whilst the 8-pin (Which are actually 6+2 these days) power cables can do up-to 150 watts.

Polaris thus draws upwards of 75 watts of energy from the PCI-E slot on the motherboard and another 75 watts from a 6 pin PCI-E cable... It's a power wall that could potentially limit overclocking.
There are some PSU's that also benefit from a GPU having two 6-pin PCI-E cable support rather than a single 8-pin due to load balancing of multiple 12v rails.

Your motherboard should be all good either way.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

AMD has finally explained the new naming scheme of their cards, and it includes a little surprise

AMD Radeon RX 400 series naming scheme explained

http://videocardz.com/61721/amd-radeon-rx-400-series-naming-scheme-explained

Let’s start with the RX. There are two subseries in Radeon 400 stack, the RX 400 and 400. The RX parts will offer >1.5 TFLOps performance and at least 100 GB/s of memory bandwidth. Those cards that do not offer such performance will not use the RX prefix.

AMD confirmed they will be using XX5 revisions, which basically means we might be seeing faster variants released after time, when yields are better, leakage was minimized, or AMD simply decided to release higher-clocked version. A good example would be Radeon HD 7970 and 7970 GHz Edition (being 2nd revision). Hopefully this will also mean less rebrands.

Oh, and Sapphire will replace the 6-pin power connector by an 8-pin one in their Nitro series. Asus will have two power connectors on their Strix card, but they haven't revealed which ones.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

Pemalite said:
oodles2do said:

I agree with waiting for 3rd party cards, this PC is the first that I've custom configured and I don't really know much about motherboards. What do I need for dual PCI-E power? Is that simply from the power supply? The board that I've had to go for (to stick to the configurator on the website) has 1 PCI-E slot for GPU's.

GPU's are allowed to draw up-to 75 watts of power from the PCI-E slot on the motherboard.

The rest comes from the PCI-E 6/8-pin power cables from the power supply unit, 6 pin PCI-E power cables will provide an extra 75w of power, whilst the 8-pin (Which are actually 6+2 these days) power cables can do up-to 150 watts.

Polaris thus draws upwards of 75 watts of energy from the PCI-E slot on the motherboard and another 75 watts from a 6 pin PCI-E cable... It's a power wall that could potentially limit overclocking.
There are some PSU's that also benefit from a GPU having two 6-pin PCI-E cable support rather than a single 8-pin due to load balancing of multiple 12v rails.

Your motherboard should be all good either way.

Thanks for explaining :).

Apparently the 480's are drawing more power than they're supposed to, violating the terms of PCI-E and the 6 pin power supply.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/4qfwd4/rx480_fails_pcie_specification/

AnthonyW86 said:
HoloDust said:

Yeah, this is kinda embarassing for AMD, their 150W 14nm GPU is on par with nVidia's 150W 28nm GPU.

At least there's a good price...until 1060 drops in, that is.

I would argue that it's a bit early to draw that conclusion. Except for Tomb Raider the RX480 is on par or faster than a GTX 980 in DX12 benchmarks. Also the drivers for the GTX 9xxx series are much more mature.

We will have to see what the 1060 brings, but don't forget about the RX470 either.

Yeah, AMD drivers do get quite a bit better over time, but not really my point - what I'm saying is that in current games RX 480 trades blows with 970, card from previous generation on old manufacturing process with the similar TDP...while nVidia's 1070, GPU with similar TDP and similar process as RX 480 is slaughtering it.

Basically what I'm saying is that AMD's tech is nowhere near as good as nVidia's and that they are dropping behind even more. My last nVidia card was GeForce 4 Ti4400, been with ATI/AMD ever since, but I think it's time for me to go back to team green.

Around the Network
Pemalite said:
oodles2do said:

I wonder where that myth comes from...

gpu's are allowed to draw as much power from a pci-e slot AS THE MOTHERBOARD ALLOWS. Typically on boot-up, this value has its default set to 75W.

Unbeknownst to mankind, there is a "Slot Capabilities Register" which you can configure up to over 300 watt per slot, if the motherboard setup allows it.

drkohler said:
Pemalite said:

I wonder where that myth comes from...

gpu's are allowed to draw as much power from a pci-e slot AS THE MOTHERBOARD ALLOWS. Typically on boot-up, this value has its default set to 75W.

Unbeknownst to mankind, there is a "Slot Capabilities Register" which you can configure up to over 300 watt per slot, if the motherboard setup allows it.

The "Myth" comes from the fact that it is actually a part of the PCI-E Standard.
Can a GPU draw more than that? Sure it can.
But there is zero guarentees of compatability if the Motherboards power delivery is less than ideal... I have had first hand experience with this too.

And I quote: "They can use up to 75 W (3.3 V × 3 A + 12 V × 5.5 A), though the specification demands that the higher-power configuration be used for graphics cards only, while cards of other purposes are to remain at 25 W."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PCI_Express#Power

JEMC said:

Oh, and Sapphire will replace the 6-pin power connector by an 8-pin one in their Nitro series. Asus will have two power connectors on their Strix card, but they haven't revealed which ones.

They will probably be the cards to get in that lineup.

oodles2do said:

Thanks for explaining :).

Apparently the 480's are drawing more power than they're supposed to, violating the terms of PCI-E and the 6 pin power supply.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/4qfwd4/rx480_fails_pcie_specification/

We will have wait and see what will happen on that front.

HoloDust said:

Yeah, AMD drivers do get quite a bit better over time, but not really my point - what I'm saying is that in current games RX 480 trades blows with 970, card from previous generation on old manufacturing process with the similar TDP...while nVidia's 1070, GPU with similar TDP and similar process as RX 480 is slaughtering it.

Basically what I'm saying is that AMD's tech is nowhere near as good as nVidia's and that they are dropping behind even more. My last nVidia card was GeForce 4 Ti4400, been with ATI/AMD ever since, but I think it's time for me to go back to team green.

You aren't the only one!
My last nVidia card was a Geforce 7, before that the Geforce FX. I don't think I have ever been enticed to go back to nVidia this strongly before, they are just "better" in almost every aspect except price, going to wait it out for Vega. I need high-end cards.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Pemalite said:

You aren't the only one!
My last nVidia card was a Geforce 7, before that the Geforce FX. I don't think I have ever been enticed to go back to nVidia this strongly before, they are just "better" in almost every aspect except price, going to wait it out for Vega. I need high-end cards.

Well what ever happened to sticking with AMD ?  

I think AMD needs to pull all the stops to put GP102 dead in it's tracks like pushing out a bigger die size and keep depending on console wins to effect engine level optimizations along with the API level ... 

If AMD can't decisively beat Nvidia in those especially favourable conditions, it's pretty much game over for them ...

ive been following this card since its announcement. I think its great for its price range however as an owner of a 970 it'd didn't offer much in terms of a raw power boost. In light of that I decided to get a 1070 instead. Shame too because I wanted to switch to freesync further down the line.

I predict that the Wii U will sell a total of 18 million units in its lifetime. 

The NX will be a 900p machine

Pemalite said:
JEMC said:

They will probably be the cards to get in that lineup.

Oe rgw PowerColor RX 480 Devil, that also has an 8-pin power connector, and a DVI port.

http://videocardz.com/61769/exclusive-powercolor-radeon-rx-480-devil-pictured

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.