By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Leaked benchmarks for AMD Radeon RX 480 hits minimum VR spec for $199

fatslob-:O said:
Pemalite said:

You aren't the only one!
My last nVidia card was a Geforce 7, before that the Geforce FX. I don't think I have ever been enticed to go back to nVidia this strongly before, they are just "better" in almost every aspect except price, going to wait it out for Vega. I need high-end cards.

Well what ever happened to sticking with AMD ?  

I think AMD needs to pull all the stops to put GP102 dead in it's tracks like pushing out a bigger die size and keep depending on console wins to effect engine level optimizations along with the API level ... 

If AMD can't decisively beat Nvidia in those especially favourable conditions, it's pretty much game over for them ...

Bad wording, I'm still sticking to AMD. Haha.
But it's tempting to switch to the Dark Side. :P

It will be interesting to see how nVidia positions the Geforce 1060 though, if they get the price/performance right, then Polaris is going to be struggling up stream without a paddle.

JEMC said:
Pemalite said:

They will probably be the cards to get in that lineup.

Oe rgw PowerColor RX 480 Devil, that also has an 8-pin power connector, and a DVI port.

http://videocardz.com/61769/exclusive-powercolor-radeon-rx-480-devil-pictured

Needs a back plate, otherwise the PCB warps over time. - I intend this next upgrade to be my last one for a few years.
Having a dual-Bios would be a bonus too, with a switch.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Around the Network
Pemalite said:
fatslob-:O said:

Well what ever happened to sticking with AMD ?  

I think AMD needs to pull all the stops to put GP102 dead in it's tracks like pushing out a bigger die size and keep depending on console wins to effect engine level optimizations along with the API level ... 

If AMD can't decisively beat Nvidia in those especially favourable conditions, it's pretty much game over for them ...

Bad wording, I'm still sticking to AMD. Haha.
But it's tempting to switch to the Dark Side. :P

It will be interesting to see how nVidia positions the Geforce 1060 though, if they get the price/performance right, then Polaris is going to be struggling up stream without a paddle.

GTX 980 performance with 6GB (192-bit) at $250 and using 120W, if rumors are true.

http://videocardz.com/61753/nvidia-geforce-gtx-1060-specifications-leaked-faster-than-rx-480

Pemalite said:

JEMC said:

Oe rgw PowerColor RX 480 Devil, that also has an 8-pin power connector, and a DVI port.

http://videocardz.com/61769/exclusive-powercolor-radeon-rx-480-devil-pictured

Needs a back plate, otherwise the PCB warps over time. - I intend this next upgrade to be my last one for a few years.

That's clearly a work-in-progress board .

And you won't get "a few years" from a x80 AMD card, although that depends on how many are a few. As you say, you'll have to wait for 490/Vega.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

JEMC said:
Pemalite said:

That's clearly a work-in-progress board .

And you won't get "a few years" from a x80 AMD card, although that depends on how many are a few. As you say, you'll have to wait for 490/Vega.

I gathered that from the Testbed.

And by a few years I mean 2-3+.
It's Vega or it's nothing at the moment.

I want to get one of these cards, but I hear the power draw in them is high. If that's the case, I might need a new mobo as this one is pretty old. But If I do that, I may as well upgrade my CPU, Only got enough on hand to get one right now. This GPU, or a CPU + mobo combo. What to dooo?

RJ_Sizzle said:
I want to get one of these cards, but I hear the power draw in them is high. If that's the case, I might need a new mobo as this one is pretty old. But If I do that, I may as well upgrade my CPU, Only got enough on hand to get one right now. This GPU, or a CPU + mobo combo. What to dooo?

What's your hardware first? You might not need a CPU or Motherboard upgrade.

Around the Network
RJ_Sizzle said:

Wait for the Custom Cooled editions.

They will have 8pin power connections on the board, or double 6 pins, and better cooling.

AMD has released a statement about it's Polaris cards using more power than they are meant to.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/10465/amd-releases-statement-on-radeon-rx-480-power-consumption

"As you know, we continuously tune our GPUs in order to maximize their performance within their given power envelopes and the speed of the memory interface, which in this case is an unprecedented 8Gbps for GDDR5. Recently, we identified select scenarios where the tuning of some RX 480 boards was not optimal. Fortunately, we can adjust the GPU's tuning via software in order to resolve this issue. We are already testing a driver that implements a fix, and we will provide an update to the community on our progress on Tuesday (July 5, 2016)."

In other words, they will fix it with a driver update. There will likely be BIOS updates as well for some cards.

RJ_Sizzle said:

Neither, wait for 1060 launch...if those leaks are true it will beat RX 480 in both performance and TDP for similar price.

First custom RX 480 listed online: Sapphire RX 480 Nitro

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/detail/index/sArticle/61887

Pre Order for £249.95

(the red button is the LED illumination switch)

Features:
- Sapphire Nitro Twin Fan Black Cooler
- Removable Fans (Makes cleaning easy)
- 2x HDMI, 2x DIsplayPort & 1x DVI (Perfect for VR Setups)
- Overclocked out the box
- 1x 8-Pin power connector for improved overclocking ability
- RGB Sapphire logo with LED Mode switch for different settings (Pick any colour or turn off)
- Sapphire Nitro backplate for improved cooling and aesthetics
- Black Diamond Chokes for improved power and eliminate potential of coil whine
- Nitro Pass through cooling to further improve cooling
- Dual BIOS

Specification:-
- GPU: Polaris
- Stream Processors: 2304
- Compute Cores: 36
- Core Speed: TBAMHz
- Boost Speed: TBAMHz
- Memory Speed: 8000Mhz
- Memory interface: 256-Bit
- Memory capacity: 8192MB GDDR5
- PCI-Express X16 lane required
- 400W or greater PSU required
- 175W TDP
- Power Connectors: 1x 8-pin required
- Display Outputs: 2x HDMI, 2x DisplayPort & 1x DVI

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

That's what I am talking about.
Backplate, dual bios, 8-pin PCI-E power.

So keen to see how she overclocks.