By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Is It Realistic to Think NX Will Get Good Third Party Support?

Tagged games:

NX have good third party if it sell well?

Yes most third party 34 17.17%

Only JP third party 42 21.21%

Only indies 20 10.10%

Third party on Nintendo HAHAHA 68 34.34%

not sure 34 17.17%

Total:198

Nope. They either make an x86 console of power similar to the other 2 in order to make porting easy, or they can forget it. 3rd party games don't sell well on Nintendo systems. If Nintendo doesn't make it easy for them, they won't make it easy for Nintendo.

Around the Network

Third party and Nintendo - here we go again!
The answer? I don't know!

Even on Wii - third party with massive sales were on casual games. Do I really expect to have a COD or Battlefront on NX outselling a PS4 or NextBox edition? No.

Switch!!!

It really depends on if Nintendo will use the NX to compete with the Xone and the PS4. Or they will try to aim for them smartphone peeps!

Pocky Lover Boy! 

SpaceLegends said:
I can't see why they couldn't. My question would be how much would that affect their success? Did third party support make the Wii? How relevant would that be at this point in this generation. I'd think most gamers already have a platform on which they enjoy third party offerings. I myself buy Nintendo for the experiences that only Nintendo can offer.

Depends third party support was the key ingredient for Sony to pretty much destroy Nintendo's domination on the console market. The droughts on Wii U and the relatively small library didn't work in favour for the system as well. Does thid party solves all Nintendo's current problems, no it doesn't but it sure is a piece of the puzzle. Imagine a console with your 3d mario, zelda a metroid prime a few of your favourite 2d platformers, smash, kart etc. Alongside games like Mass effect, GTA, RDR, Battlefield 1, The Witcher 3 and such games. That's a system I would be intrested in. Especially if those games run a bit beter on the NX than the Xone. 

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar

I´m not sure... maybe japanese developers will support it, but I don´t see western developers highly interested about it...at least for now.

Around the Network

nope it wont.

Third party games dont sell on nintendo consoles (see wii u).
People that buy an nintendo console dont do this because they want to play cod, fifa, assassins creed and co.
They want to play nintendo games.

I think its almost impossible to change people expectations just with one console. The Nintendo/Wii brand is very well known for child friendly mario games, no cod/fifa and co.

People that want to play those games will play ps4/xbox one.
Dont forget that 95% of the gamers arnt that active on forums etc, it will need tons of money into marketing to even tell them that NX will have the games they are expecting from ps/xbox. Nothing nintendo would do imo.

jnk3 said:
nope it wont.

People that buy an nintendo console dont do this because they want to play cod, fifa, assassins creed and co.

I think its almost impossible to change people expectations just with one console. The Nintendo/Wii brand is very well known for child friendly mario games, no cod/fifa and co.

Dont forget that 95% of the gamers arnt that active on forums etc, it will need tons of money into marketing to even tell them that NX will have the games they are expecting from ps/xbox. Nothing nintendo would do imo.

I think that is a poor generalization. Compared to the sales of PS/XBox, most 3rd party games sell unmistakenly better on those than on Nintendo, but that doesn't mean 3rd parties can't prosper there. Even leaving the clear successes on Nintendo handhelds (Monster Hunter, Youkai Watch, Bravely Default, Professor Layton, Ace Attorney, Sonic games...), 3rd party console games can reach a decent number of sales on Nintendo consoles. Rayman Legends on WiiU is the second best platform for the title, the NFC games are the strongest on Nintendo, Just Dance is still kicking after all this years...

You might say that most of those aren't titles that pick the interest of the average gamer, but I don't think that's a problem. Different consoles have different auiences. RPGs sell better on PS devices than on XBox devices, and Shooters sell better on XBox devices than PS devices. And both platforms get both genres anyway.

Nintendo platforms might not be the best selling platform for 3rd party games, the problem is they didn't even try. Particulary with the WiiU. The GCube had some great, albeit small, 3rd party support, and the Wii just kept getting game after game, suited for the bulk of its userbase. The WiiU got for the most part either older games that people owned already or late ports of games with less support than the other versions, so people that were interested in those just got them elsewhere. And after those ports failed, publishers abandoned the system. If 3rd parties pushed more games suited for Nintendo's audience in a way they keep the quality and support, the games would sell. Maybe not as much as the PS/XBox versions, but they could make a profit.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Darwinianevolution said:
jnk3 said:
nope it wont.

I think that is a poor generalization. Compared to the sales of PS/XBox, most 3rd party games sell unmistakenly better on those than on Nintendo, but that doesn't mean 3rd parties can't prosper there. Even leaving the clear successes on Nintendo handhelds (Monster Hunter, Youkai Watch, Bravely Default, Professor Layton, Ace Attorney, Sonic games...), 3rd party console games can reach a decent number of sales on Nintendo consoles. Rayman Legends on WiiU is the second best platform for the title, the NFC games are the strongest on Nintendo, Just Dance is still kicking after all this years...

You might say that most of those aren't titles that pick the interest of the average gamer, but I don't think that's a problem. Different consoles have different auiences. RPGs sell better on PS devices than on XBox devices, and Shooters sell better on XBox devices than PS devices. And both platforms get both genres anyway.

Nintendo platforms might not be the best selling platform for 3rd party games, the problem is they didn't even try. Particulary with the WiiU. The GCube had some great, albeit small, 3rd party support, and the Wii just kept getting game after game, suited for the bulk of its userbase. The WiiU got for the most part either older games that people owned already or late ports of games with less support than the other versions, so people that were interested in those just got them elsewhere. And after those ports failed, publishers abandoned the system. If 3rd parties pushed more games suited for Nintendo's audience in a way they keep the quality and support, the games would sell. Maybe not as much as the PS/XBox versions, but they could make a profit.

sure it will get the same 3rd party games the wiiu/3ds got. Skylanders, monster hunter, just dance and co.

I was more talking about aaa third party support (gta, fifa, cod, witcher, elder scrolls, fallout, assassins creed, mirrors edge, mass effect, deus ex, battlefield, battlefront, dragon age, diablo, Destiny, Far Cry, Watchdogs, Batman, The Division, Madden, Nba, Mortal Kombat, need for speed, just cause, bioshock)

jnk3 said:
Darwinianevolution said:

sure it will get the same 3rd party games the wiiu/3ds got. Skylanders, monster hunter, just dance and co.

I was more talking about aaa third party support (gta, fifa, cod, witcher, elder scrolls, fallout, assassins creed, mirrors edge, mass effect, deus ex, battlefield, battlefront, dragon age, diablo, Destiny, Far Cry, Watchdogs, Batman, The Division, Madden, Nba, Mortal Kombat, need for speed, just cause, bioshock)

The key for those to arrive to the NX is how easy/cheap is it to port them and how much profit is there to make. From what I've heard, the Wii was very difficult to program for, and yet it got thousands of games, so if it manages to sell well the first year, 3rd parties might consider bringing the bigger games. If the NX is easy and cheap to port games to, I'm sure it at least will get the CoD, FIFAs, AC, Batman... Games from Zenimax and T2 are a different thing altogether. The relation between those and Nintendo is almost nonexistant. Nintendo should make friends with them and try to convince them to port games to the NX. Nintendo might not need GTA, TES or Fallout, but they sure as hell can help them.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Darwinianevolution said:

The key for those to arrive to the NX is how easy/cheap is it to port them and how much profit is there to make. From what I've heard, the Wii was very difficult to program for, and yet it got thousands of games, so if it manages to sell well the first year, 3rd parties might consider bringing the bigger games. If the NX is easy and cheap to port games to, I'm sure it at least will get the CoD, FIFAs, AC, Batman... Games from Zenimax and T2 are a different thing altogether. The relation between those and Nintendo is almost nonexistant. Nintendo should make friends with them and try to convince them to port games to the NX. Nintendo might not need GTA, TES or Fallout, but they sure as hell can help them.

its not only developing costs, there are alot administrations costs that comes with such a release as well.

The Wii U was also considered cheap to port for (from x360). Source: http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2012-07-23-ubisoft-says-wii-u-ports-costing-under-USD1-3-million

Dont forget games like Crysis 3 were almost finished for wii u but didnt got released (administration costs). Same happened to dozens of other games for several other systems (like battlefront 3, stargate worlds and co). Marketing and administration costs are often HIGHER then the costs of the game development.

Ubisoft also said some time ago, they already have finished wii u games but wont release them now because of low installed hw base.