By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Blu-ray for Xbox? No chance, says Microsoft

HD DVD format may be out but Microsoft continues to remain steadfast in its determination of not adopting Blu-ray format. The speculation about Xbox 360 integrating Sony s high definition DVD technology was put to rest when a senior Microsoft executive said that Xbox was not in talks with Sony nor did it have any plan to use Blu-ray.
In an interview to a news agency, Aaron Greenberg, group product manager for Xbox 360 denied any move to integrate its arch rival s technology. Greenberg s statement assumes significance since speculation was rife about Microsoft s next move following the collapse of the HD DVD format which was headed by Toshiba and supported by Microsoft. The HD DVD conglomerate had to bite the dust after major Hollywood studios announced their support for Blu-ray.
With Microsoft snubbing the only surviving high definition format, there are now talks about the Redmond-based internet giant launching its own high-definition format. There are reports that though HD DVD has lost the disc war, Microsoft is looking at other platforms including Xbox Live to make a fresh assault with its HD format. Xbox Live is a popular movie rental service and according to Greenberg, the only console offering digital distribution of entertainment content.

LINK - http://www.techtree.com/India/News/Blu-ray_for_Xbox_No_chance_says_Microsoft/551-87922-585.html

Why There Is No Blu-Ray For The Xbox 360

Some say Microsoft chose poorly when they backed Toshiba's HD DVD standard, and that had Microsoft backed Blu-ray instead, there wouldn't have been much of a format war.  There's another group, including Michael Bay, that thinks Microsoft intentionally chose a standard that they didn't think would win in an attempt to undermine consumer confidence in disc formats altogether.  Why?

So they could build up their HD content on their digital distribution service:

"Microsoft has been expanding the HD video capabilities of both Vista Media Center and Xbox Live Marketplace. The Marketplace's HD content library is modest today, but the software giant clearly has plans to change that.

So, let's put everything together. Microsoft has a popular gaming console and an operating system that are HDi compatible. It also has a group of developers working on HDi applications, and a 360-accessible HD video library that could feasibly be outfitted with next-gen interactivity features. All that's left is the dog and pony show needed to convince content providers that HDi-enhanced content and Microsoft's video outlets are key to making HD video downloads a viable revenue stream."

If this works, Microsoft might stand a good chance of leaping ahaead of rival Apple.

"Back off, man. I'm a scientist."

Your theories are the worst kind of popular tripe, your methods are sloppy, and your conclusions are highly questionable! You are a poor scientist. Especially if you think the moon landing was faked.

ioi + 1
Around the Network

old news, sorry dude

Manchester United 2008-09 Season - Trophies & Records

Barclays Premier League 2008-09: 1st // UEFA Champions League 2008-09: Finals (Yet To Play) // FIFA Club World Cup: Winners // UEFA Super Cup: Runners-up // FA Cup: Semi-Finals // League (Carling) Cup: Winners // FA (Charity) Community Shield: Winners
Records: First British Team To Win FIFA Club World Cup, New Record for No. Of Consecutive Clean Sheets In Premier League, New English & British League Records for Minutes Without Conceding, New Record For Going Undeafeated In Champions League (25 games ongoing), First British Team To Beat FC Porto In Portugal, First Club To Defeat Arsenal At The Emirates In European Competition, First Team In English League Football History To Win 3 Titles Back To Back On Two Seperate Ocassions

I like how it says "arch rivals." Sony and MS are not arch enemies, if anything apple is MS arch enemy. Sony at least uses windows for their laptops.

NintendoMan said:
old news, sorry dude

I know but they are new articles, and I thought I would post this since kn posted the question about xbox's next storage medium.

Your theories are the worst kind of popular tripe, your methods are sloppy, and your conclusions are highly questionable! You are a poor scientist. Especially if you think the moon landing was faked.

ioi + 1

Microsoft needs to realize that not everyone wants to just RENT movies. (digital or hardcopies), People actually want to KEEP it.

Unless Microsoft can do 15 dollars HD-movie download with no DRM and no expiring date, I'm sticking with hard-copies.

Soriku (Feb 10/08): In 5 years the PS3/360 will be dead.

KH3 bet: "If KH3 comes to Wii exclusive, I will take a 1 month of sig/avatar by otheres open a thread apologize and praise you guys' brilliance." http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?start=50&id=18379
Original cast: Badonkadonkhr, sc94597 allaboutthegames885, kingofwale, Soriku, ctk495, skeezer, RDBRaptor, Mirson,

Episode 1: OOPSY!
selnor
: Too Human I even expect 3-4 mill entire life and 500,000 first day. GoW2 ( expect 7 - 9 million entire life and over 2 mill first day), Fable 2 (expect 5-6 million entire life and 1.5 mill fist day) BK3 (expect 4 - 5 mill sales entire life and 1 mill first day).. Tales/IU/TLR should get to 2 or 3 million! post id: 868878
Episode 2:
Letsdance: FFXIII (PS3+360) first week in NA = 286K
According to pre-order rate in week 13 (post id: 2902544)
Around the Network

i agree with the statement

Notice the wording. It says that they are not in talks about it, and don't have any plans for it. A far cry from saying that they never WERE in talks.

In fact, Sony said before that they were in talks about it.

Could I trouble you for some maple syrup to go with the plate of roffles you just served up?

Tag, courtesy of fkusumot: "Why do most of the PS3 fanboys have avatars that looks totally pissed?"
"Ok, girl's trapped in the elevator, and the power's off.  I swear, if a zombie comes around the next corner..."
kingofwale said:
Microsoft needs to realize that not everyone wants to just RENT movies. (digital or hardcopies), People actually want to KEEP it.

Unless Microsoft can do 15 dollars HD-movie download with no DRM and no expiring date, I'm sticking with hard-copies.

I agree I hate to rent but storage of 3'000 movies takes up a lot of space. I am persoanlly rooting for i-tunes since I can own and put it on a hard-drive. Of course owning a ton of there crap also helps.

ioi + 1

Wii should have blu ray...

Nintendo still doomed?
Feel free to add me on 3DS or Switch! (PM me if you do ^-^)
Nintendo ID: Mako91                  3DS code: 4167-4543-6089

Well i heard from a friends, friends, brothers, cousin, that MS secretly wanted Blu Ray to win, and its a conspiracy that reaches all the way to the heart of the United Federation of Planets!