By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Is Miyamoto losing his touch?

CaptainExplosion said:
Jpcc86 said:
How much can we credit Miyamoto for Nintendo's latest failures? Because he's not the designer or director of most of the games from the later years. In Star Fox Zero, for example, he acted as a producer, and "Producer" is such a general position. He may very well have little to do with the game itself.

But who was it that decided to incorporate motion controls into a Star Fox game? Sales numbers show that it's officially killed the franchise.

who was the member of the group of people making decision about the Wii U hardware that pushed for it to have that specific gamepad ? oh, right, it was Miyamoto again.

dude needs to retire and play Wii Sports forever/teach to the new developers at Nintendo how to reach the usual level of polishing of their games, nothing more.

Around the Network

As long as he sticks to making games that are naturally heavy on gameplay and light on story while ending his quest to force-feed controller/input gimmicks to customers, he'll be fine. He only seems like a has-been to me when he tries to force his video game philosophy on games where it doesn't mesh well (like Paper Mario).

Anyone here work alongside Miyamoto before?

Miyamoto's Failure: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=onScwrHP2g0

Kyle bossman talked about it aswell.

Darwinianevolution said:

The man has shaped the industry multiple times, but what he can't shape are the trends and tastes of the public. And if those get far away from Miyamoto's core ideas, there's nothing he can do. I still think he has a lot to bring to game, even after all this years.

I agree. I too believe he's still has something to give. He's a mentor, a leader, a producer, an experimenter, etc. Plus, not everything's gonna work. Every dev has made some mistakes, it's reality. Again, it depends on how you view the games that are being questioned.

Around the Network

His role has changed over the years at Nintendo. He's not a game Designer anymore. Every company has rising stars that set standards and eventually let way to newer stars. It was going to happen eventually. But still, Splatoon...was Miyamoto's idea. He just needed a younger team to execute it. He hasn't lost it per say, but his resources have been pulled elsewhere where he can't create like he used to and if you don't use it you lose it.

Maybe not retire, but he could move to a tutor role, not a management one any more. But perhaps, Wii U generation is too short to take any conclusions.

God bless You.

My Total Sales prediction for PS4 by the end of 2021: 110m+

When PS4 will hit 100m consoles sold: Before Christmas 2019

There were three ravens sat on a tree / They were as blacke as they might be / The one of them said to his mate, Where shall we our breakfast take?

Pavolink said:
Yes. Wii U, Sticker Star, Star Fox Zero.
Although, he has done some good ideas from time to time.

Wii U wasn't Miyamoto's full idea. Let's keep in mind that Miyamoto wanted HD graphics on the Wii but Iwata said no to that. He wanted to stay ahead or at least on par with other consoles in terms of power but they had to wait for Wii U...also Iwata's idea.

He played an early version of sticker stars and found it boring. Maybe his suggestions didn't fix it but unlike what many on the internet claim we can't know that it was all his fault. He might have been trying to polish a terrible turd.

I can't really comment on starfox zero as I've not played it but dinosaur planet probably would have still sucked if there was no star fox forced in.

Has anyone here ever even met Miyamoto before?