By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Is Miyamoto losing his touch?

SpokenTruth said:
midrange said:

I made it very clear that I wanted to see at least ONE game (emphasis on ONE) to at least rival the likes of what the competition has to offer (such as uncharted 4, overwatch, fallout 4).

Did I say it had to been a technological masterpiece? No. I listed wii sports for crying out loud. Did he have new technology to work with? Yes he did, the gamepad (he himself influenced this). As a wii u owner, I trusted him to work on at least one phenomenal game to rival the competition (sakurai did well, we will see how aunoma performs).

He made many games AND IP to not only rival the competition, but to set precedents and lead the way to future gaming. That was his "touch". Therefore, to see his recent output dwarfed by games like dark souls 3, doom, or the witcher 3 makes me think that he can't keep up (i.e. that he lost his "touch")

You are still under the impression that hsi role with the company is the same now as it was during the N64 days.  It's not.  It's no longer his job to make the next OoT or Mario 64.  Those torches have been passed on and you simply are not understanding this at all.

I am under the impression that he was tasked by Iwata to have games that showed the gamepad's potential. He was also the one to head starfox's development.

you love to blame platinum, but when starfox was shown at e3 2015, we already had miyamoto playing with the dual screen gameplay already built, and Nintendo in the looks to outsource the work to a third party studio. How could platinum have made that decision if a third party company hadn't been picked?

You still never answered my question. What has he done to merit keeping his "touch"

Around the Network
SpokenTruth said:

I already explained before what "Creative Fellow" meant.   President Kimishima stated that his role as Creative Fellow is to nuture the new and young talent within the company (mentor basically) and spread the Nintendo IP into new fields...he's heading up the Universal Studios theme park collaboration for instance.

Being uber influential does not mean he makes all decisions for all game designs and direction. 

And did I not just list the actual developers of several recent games including Star Fox Zero as being developed by a 3rd party (Platinum Studios)? 

Accountability is the company as a whole.  Nintendo is not just Shigeru Miyamoto.  Especially given that his role in the comapny is more business than development now.   Why not blame the director?  Why not blame the designer?  Why not blame the artists?  Why not blame the actual people resonsible for creating and directing the game?

And given that his role is what it is, he doesn't have the time to lead a major production which is why what he has worked on lately ahve been small projects.  he himself even stated that he only wants to work on small projects. 

http://www.wired.com/2011/12/miyamoto-interview/

So your position is that for years he does nothing game related, he does not exerce a significant influence in term of budget, quality control, development, and gameplay decision (this one I give it to you nicely because really it was his mission, and he did the PR), and also he doesn't look over development as a general manager of development. I read he doesn't even play games anymore. OK, great, but then he kind of totally lost it, didn't he ?

Norris2k said:
SpokenTruth said:

I already explained before what "Creative Fellow" meant.   President Kimishima stated that his role as Creative Fellow is to nuture the new and young talent within the company (mentor basically) and spread the Nintendo IP into new fields...he's heading up the Universal Studios theme park collaboration for instance.

Being uber influential does not mean he makes all decisions for all game designs and direction. 

And did I not just list the actual developers of several recent games including Star Fox Zero as being developed by a 3rd party (Platinum Studios)? 

Accountability is the company as a whole.  Nintendo is not just Shigeru Miyamoto.  Especially given that his role in the comapny is more business than development now.   Why not blame the director?  Why not blame the designer?  Why not blame the artists?  Why not blame the actual people resonsible for creating and directing the game?

And given that his role is what it is, he doesn't have the time to lead a major production which is why what he has worked on lately ahve been small projects.  he himself even stated that he only wants to work on small projects. 

http://www.wired.com/2011/12/miyamoto-interview/

So your position is that for years he does nothing game related, he does not exerce a significant influence in term of budget, quality control, development, and gameplay decision (this one I give it to you nicely because really it was his mission, and he did the PR), and also he doesn't look over development as a general manager of development. I read he doesn't even play games anymore. OK, great, but then he kind of totally lost it, didn't he ?

No dude, he recently worked on ... Apparently nothing (according to others). But he's still got it because ..........

SpokenTruth said:
midrange said:

I am under the impression that he was tasked by Iwata to have games that showed the gamepad's potential. He was also the one to head starfox's development.

you love to blame platinum, but when starfox was shown at e3 2015, we already had miyamoto playing with the dual screen gameplay already built, and Nintendo in the looks to outsource the work to a third party studio. How could platinum have made that decision if a third party company hadn't been picked?

You still never answered my question. What has he done to merit keeping his "touch"

Show me in the credits Miyamoto's name under any of the creative roles.

I'm done going back and forth. Unless you can show me something from this gen that proves he's still got, I won't continue this pointless debate and see miyamoto as someone who has lost his touch