By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Is Battleborn one of the biggest flops this generation?

Turkish said:

Time and money that could've gone to Borderlands 3, I really need that game soon-ish.

JohnnyKeflc said:
Gearbox said its sold well so no.

They said it debuted higher than BL1, which had a low opening but amazing legs. So doesn't say anything. Battleborn won't have any legs. Try to reference quotes correctly next time.

Not to mention that this is the same company that defended the crap aweful Duke Nukem Forever based on the sales.  Despite the fact that the sales fell well bellow half the expected 1.5 to 2 million the pulbisher had set as the goal.  Gearbox is a dishonest company, don't listen to them.

Around the Network
midrange said:
curl-6 said:

Bayonetta 2 received better reviews than Black Ops 3, but Black Ops III sold more than 20 times as much.

Absolutely not a coincidence. ;)

Black ops 3 is also part of a decade old franchise that is known to many, had a huge budget, was not on 1 console only, and had a marketing team and budget that some people can only dream of having.

A better comparison would be Black ops 3 and GTA V. Guess which was higher rated and correspondingly sold more

Wait, you thought I was being dead serious in any of this? Conspiracy Keanu wasn't a giveaway?

Though if you really want to pursue the correlation between reviews and sales, only 2 of the top 10 selling PS4 games are in the 90s on Metacritic, while PS4's highest selling game is it's 121st highest rated.

Overwatch's triumph over Battleborn is more likely the result of far better marketing and more appealing characters, I reckon. Plus Blizzard being a bigger brand name than Gearbox.

curl-6 said:
midrange said:

Black ops 3 is also part of a decade old franchise that is known to many, had a huge budget, was not on 1 console only, and had a marketing team and budget that some people can only dream of having.

A better comparison would be Black ops 3 and GTA V. Guess which was higher rated and correspondingly sold more

Wait, you thought I was being dead serious in any of this? Conspiracy Keanu wasn't a giveaway?

Though if you really want to pursue the correlation between reviews and sales, only 2 of the top 10 selling PS4 games are in the 90s on Metacritic, while PS4's highest selling game is it's 121st highest rated.

Overwatch's triumph over Battleborn is more likely the result of far better marketing and more appealing characters, I reckon. Plus Blizzard being a bigger brand name than Gearbox.

Reviews are only part of the complex set if issues that effect sales.  Marketing can offset bad scores.  It's a complex thing.

I will say that marketing difference isn't as big as all that, though it is better.  Battleborn had adds EVERYWHERE on YouTube around its launch.  I think what hurt them was they didn't show the game in a way that really showed what made it a unique product while Overwatch did.  This was especially damaging since Overwatch and Battleborn were promoted at the same time and as a result many assumed Battleborn to be a low budget Overwatch, which it isn't. 

Darwinianevolution said:
COKTOE said:

I had terrible experiences with both Oblivion (XB360), and Fallout 3 (PS3). Along with a large, but tolerable amount of glitches and crashes, I lost all my game data in Obivion. I was pretty upset at the time. I swore to stay away from Bethesda, but watching a friend play Fallout 3, had me buying it soon after. I won't even begin to try to detail what happend with that game, but suffice it to say, it was game ruining. And the crashes. Oh my god the crashes. They alone were difficult to deal with, let alone the game ruining scenario that forced me away for good. I envy those who can enjoy Bethesda games. Fallout 3 would have been an all time fav for me had it just functioned properly.

Did you try those on PC? I've played Skyrim, Fallout 3 and New Vegas on PC and the glitches were somewhat bearable. I've heard the console ports of those are way glitchier, though.

No sir I did not. But given the amount of other, newer games I have yet to play, it would take an apocolyptic Fallout 3 type scenario for me to retry 2 decade old games I have already played and rejected. For the record, I did fully, and I mean fully, complete Oblivion. Every quest ( except a couple that were lost due to NPC deaths ), and the full 1000 achievements + DLC I had 400 hours in it when the data was lost. It still stung  to lose that data. I just enjoyed bombing around the world, you know? It was well plundered. I was maybe 40% done Fallout 3 when I simply couldn't take it anymore. Thanks you for the idea though.

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

Being 100% serious here, I never even of heard of this game till I saw this thread simply because of Overwatch.

"Just for comparison Uncharted 4 was 20x bigger than Splatoon 2. This shows the huge difference between Sony's first-party games and Nintendo's first-party games."

Around the Network

Seeing that it has no legs in its second week in the US its a total flop now.

Machiavellian said:
vivster said:

Serves them right then. I'd rather see a developer go down for not developing the right games than seeing a developer doing all the wrong games. Just like Evlolution who decided to go down with a shit game rather than doing another Motorstorm.

Ahhh, the life of an entitled gamer.  Yep developer should go down because they did not create something YOU wanted.

To be fair, barely anyone else wanted it either if sales are any indication.

TheGoldenBoy said:
Machiavellian said:

Ahhh, the life of an entitled gamer.  Yep developer should go down because they did not create something YOU wanted.

To be fair, barely anyone else wanted it either if sales are any indication.

Not true in case of Driveclub. It sold way better than MotorStorm Apocalypse.

Mystro-Sama said:
Probably. It just looks like a less polished version of Overwatch.

You say that, but this game has way more content than overwatch. The only difference i spotted is that overwatch looks cleaner.

curl-6 said:

Not gonna lie, after Colonial Marines and Duke Nukem, it kinda gives me a malicious satisfaction to see a Gearbox game sell badly. They're one of the few devs I actively dislike.

To be fair, you can't blame Duke Nukem on Gearbox.  They were basically just brought in to put the pieces 3d Realms had developed together to actually get a game to market.  I believe they had less than a year to do so.  The fact that they took a mess of a game and made it into an at least average one is pretty impressive.  I think a Duke Nukem solely developed by Gearbox would have been much better.