By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - AMD Computex Livestream has begun, RX 480- 5+ tflops for $199, releasing June 29th

Can't wait for all the hopeful bar diagrams that tell us nothing useful until the reviews are out end of June.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Around the Network

So is Polaris 10 or 11 "better"?

So 5.5 TFLOP Polaris 10 for $250 ... anyone still doubting that MS can't get 6 TFLOPS for next fall at a reasonable price?

^If that leak is true, and I think it is given that it falls in line with previous rumors we've had, that would put the RX 480 at the same level of performance of the R9 390X.

That wouldn't be too bad by itself, it's AMD's second best class after all, but the problem is that rumors say that Nvidia's upcoming GTX 1060 will offer that same level of performance too (this is the rumor: http://videocardz.com/60666/inno3d-teases-geforce-gtx-1060), and that would put AMD in a really bad position.

Oh, well. I hope their Zen processors do perform as expected.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

Soundwave said:
So 5.5 TFLOP Polaris 10 for $250 ... anyone still doubting that MS can't get 6 TFLOPS for next fall at a reasonable price?

With Microsoft anything is possible.

Around the Network
shikamaru317 said:
Soundwave said:

Yeah, MS can definitely hit their 6 teraflops target for under $450 imo, maybe even $400. 

$399.99 will be easy. 

This is cheaper than the 7850-7870 GPUs that the PS4/XB1 used for their time (7870 was $350 when it launched in mid-2012). 

To be honest looking at that Polaris 11 price, Nintendo really dun fucked up by not using that chip (it seems). $130 retail for a 2.5 TFLOP GPU at under 50 watts?

Hoping for something good! Amd needs some marketshare back

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

shikamaru317 said:

Also interesting is the R7 460 specs leak. 2.5 teraflops for less than $130. Some rumors have suggested that NX will use Polaris 11. 2.5 teraflops for less than $130 at retail could potentially allow Nintendo to top PS4 specs for $300 or less at release.

It would've made all the sense in the world. Which means Nintendo won't do it. Much like everyone thought the 4850 GPU made perfect sense for the Wii U.

Hmm. If NX is using Polaris 11, I wonder what kind of price range we'll be looking at? If they can get performance above PS4 at $199 I think they would hit a really nice sweet spot.

shikamaru317 said:
So, it seems like full Polaris 10 (480x) will fall just below the GTX 1070 in DX12 games for $80 less. Not bad AMD, not bad at all.

I wouldn't make those assumptions yet.

Going by that leak, it seems like there won't be a 480X card (unless AMD decides to launch a card named RX 480X, and those are too many X), and given that we don't know how will big of an impact on the performance will the enhancements to the CUs bring or its actual retail price, I wouldn't start comparing it to Nvidia's offerings.

Also, the number of DX12 games right now is quite small (are there even a dozen games?), and that won't change overnight, ie. DX11 performance will still be more important.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.