By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Chinese washing detergent turns a black man into an Asian man.

Would it still be racist if he were white?

Still racist. 104 40.00%

Not racist. 86 33.08%

Not racist enough. 70 26.92%

Total:260

USA being too sensitive?!?! No way, ever!!

Around the Network
Shadow1980 said:
Ganoncrotch said:
Even if they were saying that it turns things from Black to White... that guy who comes out of the machine isn't exactly ... White ya know? Like if they go with a simple reasoning of... "well we just wanted to show our product would remove any colour" well... the Advert doesn't show that because which the guys shirt comes out very white, his skin is very much not white, they should have got WWE's Sheamus if they wanted pure white.

Fellah.... etc.

That man looks positively radioactive under a bright spotlight, perhaps even a non-corporeal energy being.

Haha, yeah , The Ghost of Wrestling Past.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

A racist mind is a racist kind. It is factual, I'll give it that. Bleach will turn coke white if you give it time.

Ka-pi96 said:
Ljink96 said:
A racist mind is a racist kind. It is factual, I'll give it that. Bleach will turn coke white if you give it time.

Wouldn't it technically cease being coke once you add bleach though?

Of course not, it'd turn into Sprite. Duh. How do you think Pepsi White is made?

V-r0cK said:
CosmicSex said:

You could have argue like some that both are racist.  

Are you arguing that the black to white guys is the racist one and everything else is fine?  I'm a little unsure where you are going.  And stop shaking your head.  It isn't good for you lol. 

loll ill keep shaking my head until it falls off! xD

But honestly none of that is acceptable, just odd that this is blowing up now and didn't back then 9yrs ago.

Its really weird to say this but 9 years ago the world was a different place.  It would take a commercial from another country much longer to propergate to the US or wherever.  Add to that the Social structures that exist within the cloud that are always trying to push an agenda.  However the two biggest agendas come from  social advocates and bigots.  You will find that everyone else can get over things really quickly even if it is offensive. 

Around the Network
vivster said:
To be racist you have to actually be a racist and mean what you say. A lot of people forget that when flinging around the -ism words. Racism is the thought that certain races are by nature inferior to yours. If you don't think that then you're not a racist and as such you cannot be racist.

If you prefer around to be white people you're not automatically a racist. Preferring one thing does not mean hating the other. That's why this commercial is not racist unless that was the intent of the producers.

Come on now son. She washes him into an asian man. I mean the implication is that there was a problem with him being black. 

If you prefer something then you inherently think everything else is inferior no?

Areaz32 said:
vivster said:
To be racist you have to actually be a racist and mean what you say. A lot of people forget that when flinging around the -ism words. Racism is the thought that certain races are by nature inferior to yours. If you don't think that then you're not a racist and as such you cannot be racist.

If you prefer around to be white people you're not automatically a racist. Preferring one thing does not mean hating the other. That's why this commercial is not racist unless that was the intent of the producers.

Come on now son. She washes him into an asian man. I mean the implication is that there was a problem with him being black. 

If you prefer something then you inherently think everything else is inferior no?

Actually no, and it is exactly that type of mentality that leads to people being unable to separate the attempt at humor with the race in this exact video.

Life has varying shades it isn't simple binary.

Neodegenerate said:
Areaz32 said:

Actually no, and it is exactly that type of mentality that leads to people being unable to separate the attempt at humor with the race in this exact video.

Life has varying shades it isn't simple binary.

Dude. She washed him. The implication was that he was dirty because of the black skin. I am not saying it wasn't an attempt at humor but you cannot deny that skin color had a central role in that commercial.

Your type of mentality is completely reactionary.

Wrong post

Lawlight said:
Never said:
I lived in china as well and they do have a race problem.

The ad is racist because of the context of the chinese attitudes to black people (Which they don't hide much). Anyone with dark skin in china is deemed bad, very unattractive, criminal, and poor.

It's normal for chinese people too say, 'I'm not racist I just don't like black people'. I've had conversations where people have seen photos where I'm eating with a black person and said, 'ewww, a black guy.' with extreme disgust and not realising there anything remotely wrong with acting that way.

Many people there don't have a very well developed sense of what racism is in most of the country. It's normalised and they don't question it. There's bigotry in china between chinese people of slightly different skin tones. Actual black people make them crazy.

The ad it ripped off was comparing a white slob to a black body builder in a culture where white people are the norm and made for a largely white audience. This compared a scruffy black guy in a culture that often overtly dislikes black people to a pale skinned chinese guy.

So, which is it? Just black people or anyone with a dark skin tone?

Both. They asssociate chinese people with dark skin with being poor. Farmers and people who work outside. This might be part of why there is so much dislike for black people.

There are also a very very small number of aficans in China and as a group they get associated in the media with drug smuggling. When I questioned somebody about some of his racist comments he brought up the "Dirty africans" and repeated stories about immigration being a problem.

China is not a very muticultural country. For a Chinese person to complain about black immigrants, when there are probably no more than 2 or 3 black people in his entre city, seemed strange.

Africa is also poor, and the assoication with povity might play a part. Many people in China seem preoccupied with gossiping about and judging people on their wealth.