By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - US Military dumps 360, and picks up wiimote!!

It's because they are less expensive.  It's much easier to buy an already proven device that works well than to spend time and money developing a new controller for robots.  With the way money is allocated most of the money they use is spent on equipment maintenance.  A lot of our equipment still needs to be updated and we're still waiting for money to do so.  Most of the money goes towards keeping our M1A1's, 8tons, and other vehicles going; maintenance, fuel, etc.

Around the Network
BenKenobi88 said:
I don't get why the Army constantly uses videogame controllers. Yeah, they're easy to learn, but are our soldiers really that dumb, and is the Army really that cheap?

Surely there's better motion control devices, more accurate, but obviously more expensive. And I guess I'm just confused why they'd opt for motion control, which can be a little iffy...there's nothing iffy about pressing a button to issue a command.

Aside from what gomezc mentioned you also have to consider that while a button is a sure-fire way to issue a command it is also a binary input.  When dealing with the complex task of maneuvering a robot about an environment there are many times where a fistfull of buttons won't do you much good.  Analog inputs are required at some point and while analog sticks are the early incarnation of the realization of this input requirement, I think it is obvious that motion sensing is at least attempting to be the next evolution.

From what I read of the article it sounds to me like they aren't planning to use the Wii-Mote in the field, but rather they are using the wii-mote to test the viability of motion controls.  If they get promising results they will likely move forward to a phase of the testing where they will implement more cutting edge technology in terms of accuracy and responce time, but most importantly they will build something tailored precisely for the task.  

Actually that is something else they gain by doing these early trials.  They can learn a lot from their operator's feedback about where the design team should be looking to make improvements that allow them to perform better. 

To Each Man, Responsibility

does this mean we could see a camo wii shell?

To be honest I think they're just making custom PS3/Wii hybrids with the wiimote as a controller for the ultimate FPS experience.

now would be a good time for China to invade the US! lol j/k

...well if thats what works best, then go for it.

Around the Network

Cool

Proud owner of all three consoles and handhelds.

Gamertag: MrKetchup911 (Add me up)

Stupid casual gamers...

I'm a mod, come to me if there's mod'n to do. 

Chrizum is the best thing to happen to the internet, Period.

Serves me right for challenging his sales predictions!

Bet with dsisister44: Red Steel 2 will sell 1 million within it's first 365 days of sales.

Wii own the world, include the army.

wii ftw.

Nintendo owns at consoles, handhelds, and now the US Army! Nintendo Domination FTW!

Guitar Hero 3/ Smash Hits