By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - US Military dumps 360, and picks up wiimote!!

A few months back, some of you may remember this, I posted a thread about US military robots and the pictures showed them using 360 controllers to control the robots. Today I found this...

Source 

"US Army robots using Nintendo Wii

The latest high-tech military robots are being controlled by something lots of you might find in your living rooms - the controller from a Nintendo Wii.

Because the Wii-mote is easy to get to grips with, it's now being looked at as away of directing robots that are used to clear dangerous mine-fields.

The controllers that were first checked out needed lots of concentration.

But because the Wii-mote is so simple, it allows the users to concentrate more on what's around the robot. "

Wii FTW!!!! 

Around the Network

Sweeeeet.
(added to avoid ban)

Satan said:

"You are for ever angry, all you care about is intelligence, but I repeat again that I would give away all this superstellar life, all the ranks and honours, simply to be transformed into the soul of a merchant's wife weighing eighteen stone and set candles at God's shrine."

Awesome! Now I want to see these robots and how they work... are the IED (EID?) robots? Almost makes me wanna join the army...

Didn't the government just order some 300 PS3's for research? :P Maybe they're building the robots with the PS3 and controlling them with the wii >_>;

From 0 to KICKASS in .stupid seconds.

LOL, I can see sergeant major now with a wiimote, that would look hilarious! Effective though, with all the motion sensing. I wonder if the boys here at 2nd Mar Div, 2nd Tanks will get to see some of that in action this August.

Around the Network

yeah, i can't find any pics yet...but I am curious if it is just wiimote or nunchuck too?

@Lu--almost right?
i mean you would still have to go on active duty to get to use them

First the Cell... then BluRay... and now the Wiimote...

Does the US Military have too much money or something?

ChronotriggerJM said:
Didn't the government just order some 300 PS3's for research? :P Maybe they're building the robots with the PS3 and controlling them with the wii >_>;

Holy crap, you're right. I forgot about that.

However, the gov got the PS3's for similation testing, they don't build the robots themselves.  

I don't get why the Army constantly uses videogame controllers. Yeah, they're easy to learn, but are our soldiers really that dumb, and is the Army really that cheap?

Surely there's better motion control devices, more accurate, but obviously more expensive. And I guess I'm just confused why they'd opt for motion control, which can be a little iffy...there's nothing iffy about pressing a button to issue a command.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )