By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Everyone seems to trust IGN and distrust Gamespot, why?

I hugely distrust gamespot for many reasons, fired a reviewer as his opinion wasn't in line with advertisers, multiple times have been caught putting up reviews for games they barely even played (Metroid Prime: Hunters and Savage).

Also I often disagree with them and seems to me their reviews follow advertisers. E.G they gave BF2142 an 8 for graphics and dark messiah a 7. I think at the very least Dark messiah is on par if not better than BF2142. However BF2142 had adverts on the site, Dm didn't.

The MP:H thing is what really did it for me though. They put up a review when it was clear the reviewer had barely even played it. There were so many mistakes they actually had to take the review down and replace it. Although they didn't change the score. So that means that really the text of their reviews is worthless, they really only care about the score. Besides it says 2 other things
1) the reviewers that work there are terrible at their jobs and are willing to hand in faked reviews.
2)The site doesn't seem to have any quality control as the reviewer wasn't fired.

It's funny how this topic brings fanboys out of the woodwork though. Pete_beast and CTK495 claim Gamespot is biased towards 360. Yet take a look at Site Stats over at gamerankings.

Difference between GS review and average review per platform
PS3 -1.3%
360 -1.2%
Wii -2.7%

So those 2 claiming GS is unfairly biased towards 360 compared to PS3. Hmm it is 0.1% more in favour of the 360. Compared to a difference of 1.4% between Wii and PS3.
So if GS is biased in favour of 360 over PS3 then it must truly hate the Wii I guess. Interesting to note the sites overall difference is -1.7% so it is compartively actually generous towards the PS3 and 360 compared to the overall sites average reviews.

Turkish says and I'm allowed to quote that: Uncharted 3 and God Of War 3 look better than Unreal Engine 4 games will or the tech demo does. Also the Naughty Dog PS3 ENGINE PLAYS better than the UE4 ENGINE.