By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Get Windows 10 (GWX) is a virus

binary solo said:
Ganoncrotch said:
I think the best thing that MS managed to do was convince people even in this thread to use the word upgrade when it comes to changing to windows 10, it's a change of the OS, if you have a PC which is perfectly functioning with Win7/8 and you are thinking... is Windows 10 an upgrade for me, think can you improve on a system which is working perfectly? no, you can change it around and then find ways to make it work for you again... but really if your PC/Laptop is perfect now then the change is just that, a change to MS's new system and you are handing away your rights to ever have this choice again down the line, because a part of Win10 which people do not like is the lack of choice regarding updates, and those updates can include critical things... such as Windows 11 or 10.1 which will all be considered critical updates from now on.

Me ranty long time, no likey Win10, remove 35583 if you see it on a family machine and they're complaining about that Win10 popup or have an older system which will not be compatible with Win10 drivers

Can you just delete the GWX folder, or do you have to jump through some hoops?

Nope you can't, you don't have the ownership rights to the folder even as Admin, the owner of it is System the same as the Windows32 folder so it can't be deleted "by accident" you need to firstly make sure and show hidden files and folders inside the System32 folder (it hides there because they knew people are immediately aware of trolls telling them to delete files from it = bad idea) but yeah, show the hidden folders inside System32 then if you have a GWX folder check the size of that, if it's something like 6-12gb then it has preloaded your "upgrade" OS for you so that a stealth upgrade can happen at a point you click the wrong button on that GWX popup.

Anyway once you find the folder you will need to add yourself to the owners of it, Right click on the file > Properties > security tab > Advanced > owner tab > edit > other users and groups, then find your account add it to the list, then try and get rid of it... but I think someone mentioned there is a little app people made to just remove all of the GWX in one action now without having to do the digging around yourself, just be careful obviously with what you use for it since you will be giving whatever program it is full admin rights so would be an easy way to pick up a nasty bit of spyware.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

Around the Network
Ganoncrotch said:
binary solo said:

Can you just delete the GWX folder, or do you have to jump through some hoops?

Nope you can't, you don't have the ownership rights to the folder even as Admin, the owner of it is System the same as the Windows32 folder so it can't be deleted "by accident" you need to firstly make sure and show hidden files and folders inside the System32 folder (it hides there because they knew people are immediately aware of trolls telling them to delete files from it = bad idea) but yeah, show the hidden folders inside System32 then if you have a GWX folder check the size of that, if it's something like 6-12gb then it has preloaded your "upgrade" OS for you so that a stealth upgrade can happen at a point you click the wrong button on that GWX popup.

Anyway once you find the folder you will need to add yourself to the owners of it, Right click on the file > Properties > security tab > Advanced > owner tab > edit > other users and groups, then find your account add it to the list, then try and get rid of it... but I think someone mentioned there is a little app people made to just remove all of the GWX in one action now without having to do the digging around yourself, just be careful obviously with what you use for it since you will be giving whatever program it is full admin rights so would be an easy way to pick up a nasty bit of spyware.

I added my account to the list, but it only let me delete 2 subfolders. GWX and a bunch of other files in GWX would not delete.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

binary solo said:
Ganoncrotch said:

I added my account to the list, but it only let me delete 2 subfolders. GWX and a bunch of other files in GWX would not delete.

Ah, this could be because the program GWX is currently using those files so you can't delete them, even though it might not be actively downloading into the files you'll need to go and remove GWXs update patchs from your windows update you'll want to add them to block list too if you rather stay with your functional OS right now KB 3035583, KB 2952664, and KB 2976978. are the 3 updates you want to remove but you'll also have to at least temporarily turn off automatic updates because the 3035583 fucker is considered "critical" to the system now and if you have automatic updates after you remove it, when you restart the PC it will just instantly redownload itself.

I fucking hate GWX just saying.

http://www.infoworld.com/article/2979572/microsoft-windows/gwx-stopper-an-easy-way-to-permanently-delete-get-windows-10-nagware-in-windows-7-and-81.html

here is a link directly Iwata hand motion to the download of the standalone tool to just remove the shit for you, http://ultimateoutsider.com/downloads/GWX_control_panel.exe it should be mostly automatic if you don't want to go digging about with changing folders in system32 (a very good idea) but I've not used this myself but seen a lot of people suggesting it does the job nice and handily and also it's so good other twats are trying to sell it to users... sad times, sad, sad, sad times.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

Hiku said:
Ganoncrotch said:

Ah, this could be because the program GWX is currently using those files so you can't delete them, even though it might not be actively downloading into the files you'll need to go and remove GWXs update patchs from your windows update you'll want to add them to block list too if you rather stay with your functional OS right now KB 3035583, KB 2952664, and KB 2976978. are the 3 updates you want to remove but you'll also have to at least temporarily turn off automatic updates because the 3035583 fucker is considered "critical" to the system now and if you have automatic updates after you remove it, when you restart the PC it will just instantly redownload itself.

I fucking hate GWX just saying.

http://www.infoworld.com/article/2979572/microsoft-windows/gwx-stopper-an-easy-way-to-permanently-delete-get-windows-10-nagware-in-windows-7-and-81.html

here is a link directly Iwata hand motion to the download of the standalone tool to just remove the shit for you, http://ultimateoutsider.com/downloads/GWX_control_panel.exe it should be mostly automatic if you don't want to go digging about with changing folders in system32 (a very good idea) but I've not used this myself but seen a lot of people suggesting it does the job nice and handily and also it's so good other twats are trying to sell it to users... sad times, sad, sad, sad times.

I'm seeing that KB 3035583 update on my list of critical updates, so I'll read up on this and start removing these files.

Thanks Microsoft for making us fear updating our systems, or even going to the kitchen to make a sandwitch without keeping an eye on the GWX icon.
Ridiculous.

Hey hey, on the upside! if you use the GWX control panel in windows 7/8 at least you can kill that GWX popup with an easy enough tool, while playing Overwatch in a team the other day we lost a round thanks to 2 Windows 10 players getting forced out of the game to check an advert to try out a free month of Office365, would you believe it, they did not avail of this offer...

http://www.howtogeek.com/226321/how-to-disable-the-%E2%80%9Cget-office%E2%80%9D-notifications-on-windows-10/

Adware bundled into the OS, and people questioned how MS could offer it for "free"

Ganoncrotch said:
Hiku said:

I'm seeing that KB 3035583 update on my list of critical updates, so I'll read up on this and start removing these files.

Thanks Microsoft for making us fear updating our systems, or even going to the kitchen to make a sandwitch without keeping an eye on the GWX icon.
Ridiculous.

Hey hey, on the upside! if you use the GWX control panel in windows 7/8 at least you can kill that GWX popup with an easy enough tool, while playing Overwatch in a team the other day we lost a round thanks to 2 Windows 10 players getting forced out of the game to check an advert to try out a free month of Office365, would you believe it, they did not avail of this offer...

http://www.howtogeek.com/226321/how-to-disable-the-%E2%80%9Cget-office%E2%80%9D-notifications-on-windows-10/

Adware bundled into the OS, and people questioned how MS could offer it for "free"

How wonderful. Getting tiring.