By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Get Windows 10 (GWX) is a virus

I tried to see if there was any threads posted about the recent change to GWX and I wasn't able to find any.  Anyways, recently they changed the way GWX works.  Now, GWX sets you up for an upgrade date and if you leave your computer on then it will start updating.  The close on the x box doesn't do anything because the upgrade is already scheduled.  So you have to actually read what it says and click a few buttons to unschedule the upgrade.  I'm sure there might be a few ways to stop the upgrade process if it begins to happen (haven't looked into it) but it has apparently pissed off a few customers that left their computers running and came back to Windows 10. 

Seems like Microsoft will do anything to try to get to the 1 billion downloads.  I for one have deleted the KB3035583 (GWX) patch only to find it back on my machine and that is with me not updating any updates since taking it off (deleted again).  They state they will stop bothering you in July about updating but this latest tactic is a low blow.  If people haven't upgraded even with you putting the GWX in criticial updates to try and ensure everyone gets a message everytime they boot up your PC or every few hours the shitty program runs then they probably don't want Windows 10. 

Here is a link to an article about it and there are a decent amount of pissed off people in the comments section.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/3073457/windows/how-microsofts-nasty-new-windows-10-pop-up-tricks-you-into-upgrading.html

Around the Network

Yep they actually decided to force upgrade on people.

Basically your left without choice in the matter now, unless you go outta your way to fix it.

On neogaf there was a guy, that ran some kinda secure hdd feature on his main partition, so it instead choose to format and install on his 2nd drive.

Dude lost like 1 years worth of work, because windows decided to install all by itself.

Yea its stupid and nonsense at its finest. I like Windows 10 but their upgrade nonsense is soooo dumb that its not even funny.

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

I mean, yeah. I thought this was well known in the tech world. The sooner most users jump to 10, the sooner Microsoft can make the complete jump to Windows 7 for business devices with less concern about data being compromised. That's why they stopped their final XP support earlier than anticipated, to scare businesses into upgrading to 7 sooner.

I just upgraded and said screw it. It's not like there's significantly more crap in 10 that wasn't already in 7; plus my laptop had 8.1 on it automatically and at least this way I have a damn start menu without getting a mod again.

You should check out my YouTube channel, The Golden Bolt!  I review all types of video games, both classic and modern, and I also give short flyover reviews of the free games each month on PlayStation Plus to tell you if they're worth downloading.  After all, the games may be free, but your time is valuable!

The sad thing about this is that Windows 10 is a great OS, but a lot of people will hate it because of the forced updates. Forcing people to upgrade when they don't want to/aren't ready yet is a terrible way of increasing your user base.

Around the Network
Vini256 said:
The sad thing about this is that Windows 10 is a great OS, but a lot of people will hate it because of the forced updates. Forcing people to upgrade when they don't want to/aren't ready yet is a terrible way of increasing your user base.

^

We can only hope that this pushy attitude will lead to more resources being poured into Win10 to fix all the current issues. It's a great OS with potential but it's still far from the stability an end of life OS like Win7.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Vini256 said:

I doubt it's that. People are not hating being forced, they're hating the OS they are being forced to. Otherwise they wouldn't be forced and upgrade as soon as possible.

The actual sad thing is that Win10 is being hated for no reason.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

vivster said:
Vini256 said:

I doubt it's that. People are not hating being forced, they're hating the OS they are being forced to. Otherwise they wouldn't be forced and upgrade as soon as possible.

The actual sad thing is that Win10 is being hated for no reason.

Yeah, it's a shame really. I personally love it, and there's lots of new features coming in the next months. Heck, I'm even starting to use UWP apps instead of the regular desktop ones where possible, even though I used to hate the idea of using apps on a PC.

Anyways, most of the complaints are the usual "I don't like the Start Menu" and "Privacy Issues" (If people were really worried about privacy they wouldn't use smartphones, so this doesn't make much sense lol).

F***. I hate MS. I really do. Crap like this is the reason I will never buy their products (although I do have a PC/w windows). So far, I have been able to avoid Windows 10 like the plague that it is, but I will f***ing lose it if I ever have it forced on me. There have been reports of forced upgrades for ages already, this is just a slightly different tactic. This article is a few months old (feb 16), but I thought it was well done. http://www.cracked.com/blog/4-awful-secrets-no-one-telling-you-about-windows-10/

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."