By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Uncharted 4 Gameplay

Just wondering what you all think for the feel of UC4. A lot of people talk about the gameplay like its some weak point or at the very least feel like the gameplay is carried by the incredible story. So, what makes UC4 gameplay average, good or great, in your opinion?

Good:

- Gunplay is smooth & weighty (feels better than every single FPS/ TPS I've played this gen), a lot of firefights feel like an online match 

- Driving, while limited, handles great & fits with the flow 

- H2H combat is refined 

- Best boss fight for the series 

- Platforming is tweaked with new tools as well as the stealth

- Multiple approaches to the set pieces

Bad: 

- Some puzzles are too easy 

- The AI for stealth is oblivious at times 

- A few platforming sections feel like PIS lol 

- Finding treasures feel like a chore to me 

Your thoughts? 

Around the Network

Its fine. Nothing bad, but nothing great either. Except maybe finding a crate to stand on every 20 minutes...

Two of the most subtle but valuable changes to the gameplay for me are the removal of grenade tossbacks combined with the added destructibility. While cover is still useful temporarily, the game in general really encourages and even demands mobility and your mechanics are up to the task for it. Throw in the improved AI to boot and firefights have never been more exciting in this series. I wanna try harder difficulties before I criticize the enemy's stealth AI, but I do wish the melee combat was more robust with options to proactively juke and counter enemy attacks. Altogether the best gameplay of the series for sure, though.

I personally thought the gameplay of Uncharted 4 was the best of the series. I like how the destructibility of cover forces the player to move around. The gunplay is pretty good. It's nothing revolutionary, but Uncharted has never really been known for its gunplay. The melee system is much better in this game then the previous series, especially UC3. All in all, best gameplay of the series in my opinion.

Best gameplay in the series. Interesting stealth phases (even if not perfect) and good dynamic gunfights and melee, with better platforming sequences overall.

Around the Network
Faelco said:
Best gameplay in the series. Interesting stealth phases (even if not perfect) and good dynamic gunfights and melee, with better platforming sequences overall.

I agree with this, having bought the Nathan Drake collection at the same time as UC4 and going back to the two first games last weekend, there's a whole lot they've fixed for the better in UC4. Overall, I love this new direction, they went too far with the crazy action in UC3, so each individual scene lost its effect somewhat. The new sliding and hook mechanics are fun, the endless standing on crates though; not so much...

I have no complaints on the gameplay so far.

Personally i wouldn't put hand to hand combat under 'good'.

To me gameplay is indeed carried by the story. I don't particularly like shooters so what does that leave me?

The puzzles are less than mediocre. A lot of things are getting repetitive even. Like the abovementioned crates.

I never liked Uncharteds gunplay since day one but Uncharted 4 feels much much better. Enemies are dumb as hell, though.

All of the other stuff? Driving, climbing, platforming (though you really can't fail) feel excellent. Puzzles are better than ever, too.

KLXVER said:
Its fine. Nothing bad, but nothing great either. Except maybe finding a crate to stand on every 20 minutes...

Nitpicking much ? and come on every 20 minutes really man.. really ? i dont even remember crates for the first 8 chapters at all 

KLXVER said:

Time and again, one person would make it up to some ledge and say "wait there while I find you a way up". I'm yelling at the screen "Use the ROPE on your hip!"

Do they forget they're there!?!