By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Overwatch is much, much too expensive.

Overwatch...

Too expensive. 287 51.25%

Too cheap. 20 3.57%

The price is right. 127 22.68%

^If it had a campaign. 82 14.64%

Indifference. I just don... 44 7.86%

Total:560
Pemalite said:
midrange said:

Important gameplay aspects will also never be locked behind a price point, it's all cosmetic

So it should. Because there isn't enough game for the asking price, simple as that.
Same thing went for Halo 5, for a Halo game it featured less than it's predecessors (I.E. No Forge, not many maps etc'), so the updates had better be free.

Still zero need for Microtransactions other than it being a cash grab... It also leaves room for Microtransactions to be expanded upon in future patches so that it plays a larger role in the game.

midrange said:

Microtransactions are all cosmetic (you should know if you played the game. New characters, game modes, and maps are coming free of charge. The price point actually prevents hackers, and unless you plan to play a really old game, overwatch is the only one of its kind right now.

Population is not gonna plummet anytime soon

It's still a money grab

I'd rather call it a lazy gamer grab. Because it prays on peoples will power. Seriously. Overwatch is just TF2 flopped. TF2 = The games free, but you can buy the optional gear to support it. Overwatch = The game is pay, but the games updates will be free. And, TF2 is even a smaller game than Overwatch. Ofcourse that should be free. I got bored with jsut 5 characters. Also, Overwatch's money goes towards the CGI animations, the characters backstories, and comics. Granted these should be avalible from the games menu. Which I bet they will eventually add in. But that's extra work too. Do any of the TF2 characters have names?

Around the Network
archer9234 said:

I'd rather call it a lazy gamer grab. Because it prays on peoples will power. Seriously. Overwatch is just TF2 flopped. TF2 = The games free, but you can buy the optional gear to support it. Overwatch = The game is pay, but the games updates will be free. And, TF2 is even a smaller game than Overwatch. Ofcourse that should be free. I got bored with jsut 5 characters. Also, Overwatch's money goes towards the CGI animations, the characters backstories, and comics. Granted these should be avalible from the games menu. Which I bet they will eventually add in. But that's extra work too. Do any of the TF2 characters have names?

Overwatch had brilliant trailers, that hinted towards a fully fleshed out story, but there isn't any.
Overwatch had characters that were well... Full of character, but in the game there really isn't any back story to them.
Overwatch hinted towards a Good vs Evil premise in it's trailers... But, that isn't a thing either.

And other than the opening trailer, the CGI is basically non-existent in the game?

The Team Fortress 2 characters don't really have names, they are just named things like "Pyro, Scout, Demoman" etc'. Although Characters like "Soldier" are referred to as "Mister Jane Doe".
With that said Team Fortress 2 has more content, over a dozen different game modes and 100 maps... With hundreds of more community made maps. All free.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Pemalite said:
archer9234 said:

Overwatch had brilliant trailers, that hinted towards a fully fleshed out story, but there isn't any.
Overwatch had characters that were well... Full of character, but in the game there really isn't any back story to them.
Overwatch hinted towards a Good vs Evil premise in it's trailers... But, that isn't a thing either.

And other than the opening trailer, the CGI is basically non-existent in the game?

The Team Fortress 2 characters don't really have names, they are just named things like "Pyro, Scout, Demoman" etc'. Although Characters like "Soldier" are referred to as "Mister Jane Doe".
With that said Team Fortress 2 has more content, over a dozen different game modes and 100 maps... With hundreds of more community made maps. All free.

You're forgetting how long TF2 has been out. Don't compare the maps.

Should be 20 bucks

archer9234 said:
Pemalite said:

Team Fortress is probably Overwatch's most successfull competitor, it should have been the goal to beat considering it also played a big role in Overwatch's development.

If they weren't going to implement a full campaign and a fully fleshed out multiplayer, then they should have added more maps.
Besides, even if Team Fortress 2 is fairly old, it was also free.

Keep in mind that Overwatch has ZERO story, has ZERO single player and does not even have a multiplayer component that is as fleshed out as other big Multiplayer games like Halo 5, Call of Duty and other FPS Mobas. And yet they still ask a full retail price for it? Please. Even worst when people support such a practice.
Thankfully Blizzard has a good history of listening to constructive criticism and working to resolve things.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Around the Network

splatoon was 40 bucks released with singeplayer campaign, local splitscreen and no microtransactions, so hell yes.

Pemalite said:
archer9234 said:

It also wasn't free for 4 years. See the thing is. Overwatch does have a internal story. That the creators made up, for each character, map etc. Certain characters have dialogs with each other. Certain maps make characters comment on them. So they do have stuff in place. Yeah, I agree. Overwatch is missing important full stuff. But, the designing phase of the game was a lot more complicated. Then what TF2 did. Being originally an addition to the Orange box. I see the game now, as a pilot episode to a show. Hopefully, once they start adding in more stuff. Will get the visual backstories. But yes. Doing it like this, is not a good idea. Because Street FIghter 5 has messed up their sales. Because of missing things.

Needs campaign.

John2290 said:

Add it up whatever way you want, this game game should not be at the higher end of AAA retail price. I paid 60 euro for The witcher 3, 65. for Fallout 4, 70 euro for MGS5! They all have one thing in common, they were stacked with content and I played each of them more than 250 hours.

While the Beta was good, its a game you would play in chucks here and there. What am I paying 75 euro for? The characters? The cosmetic "loot boxes"? Fuck me, it even has micro transactions for these "loot boxes", up to 40 damn euro.

i'll get 1000+ hours for 40 euro in overwatch
that's a steal

if you're the single player exploration guy, sure this game is not for you.
but don't act like the game is to expensive

Pemalite said:
archer9234 said:

Team Fortress is probably Overwatch's most successfull competitor, it should have been the goal to beat considering it also played a big role in Overwatch's development.

If they weren't going to implement a full campaign and a fully fleshed out multiplayer, then they should have added more maps.

Keep in mind that Overwatch has ZERO story, has ZERO single player and does not even have a multiplayer component that is as fleshed out as other big Multiplayer games like Halo 5, Call of Duty and other FPS Mobas. And yet they still ask a full retail price for it? Please. Even worst when people support such a practice.
Thankfully Blizzard has a good history of listening to constructive criticism and working to resolve things.

As MANY users have pointed out, TF2 WAS NOT FUCKING FREE! HOW MANY TIMES DO WE HAVE TO SAY THIS?! It has story, but they are working on getting it out there is the form of those movie clips. It doesn't need a dumbass campaign to appease the users on this site, who seem to be the only people that literally can't get past the fact that a game doesn't have campaign. The multiplayer component is better, fresher, and more fleshed out than any of those games you listed. Not only that, but for the majority of people, this game did not cost full retail price. And there is absolutely nothing wrong with the microtransactions in this game. You're ridiculous for complaining about them.

I bet the Wii U would sell more than 15M LTD by the end of 2015. He bet it would sell less. I lost.