By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Do you nickname your Pokemon?

Do you nickname your Pokemon?

Yes 20 22.47%

No 69 77.53%

Total:89
Faust said:
i let them decide their own names

Hehehehehe

Around the Network

I used to only nickname the Pokemon I intended to keep on my team, but now I tend to nickname every single Pokemon I'm able to catch. It really hinders my ability to learn the Pokemon's real name, but I also think it gives it more of a personal feel.

Official Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE Thread

Unless I'm doing a Nuzlocke run, nope. I also hate it that if you receive a traded Pokemon you cannot remove its nickname, drives me crazy.

I was a nerd and gave my favs Japanese names. Well, at least I learned some words. Tonbo means dragonfly for example. xD That did me a bit of good...

Also, I do it for nuzlockes. Rest in peace, Johnny ;_;

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

My dog's name is dog.

Of course I nickname my Pokémon. Everyone should. I think it's extremely stupid that Pokémon reinforces that Pokemon shouldn't be nicknamed by not having every trainer you battle have nicknamed Pokemon and by not forcing you to name everything. It doesn't make any sense. They're supposed to be like pets. They're individuals. Not naming your Pokémon goes against everything Pokémon is supposed to stand for.

Also, Pokemon don't speak their own names. That's an anime thing. A stupid anime thing.

Around the Network

What about Pokemon like Charizard? So it used to be named Charmander. Then you changed it's name to Charmeleon just because it evolved. Then you changed it's name to Charizard because it evolved again. What if it has a Mega Stone? Are you going to call it Mega Charizard X AND Charizard AND Mega Charizard Y, depending on your mood?

I really need to impress upon you all how stupid that is. Imagine if you had a kid. You name it Baby, because it's a baby. Then you rename it Kid when it's a kid. Then Teen when it's a Teen. Then Adult when it's an adult, but also Engineer and Golfer when you feel like it. And is every engineer supposed to be called Engineer? What if I'm in a room full of engineers? How is Engineer supposed to know which Engineer is being called? Imagine how fucking confusing it must be growing up like that.

Calling Pokemon by their current species name makes absolutely no sense when you think about a Pokemon's role in that world.

If I pick Cindaquill and it's a female then it's Cindy, if it's a male then it's Quill

The Bitch is back! And better then ever! #BritneyReturns

SONY Bring them BACK for PS4 and VITA!

When I used to play I definitely didn't. I liked the original names and disliked any nicknames.

It's funny how disliked nicknames are, so much so that a nicknamed Pokemon is often deemed completely undesirable when trading. Poor Pokemon, they aren't allowed originality, on top of their lack of personality. I wish it was easier to see them as actual creatures than just glorified numbers, but alas that would require an unrealistic amount of effort from the developers.

As for me, I'm not gonna name every single Pokemon I have, ain't got no time for that! I just name the ones I use competitively or have specific uses. I'll likely never trade them so their loss of trade value is of no consequence. Here are the names for my current online battle team!

Aerodactyl♂ - Evolsaur
Heat Rotom - Easy-Bake
Serperior♀ - Leafia
Klefki♀ - Shiny Thang
Scrafty♂ - From Da Hood
Gastrodon♀ - DeepSeaDiva

The only Pokemon I ever nicknamed was my shiny Ralts (now my shiny Gardevoir)

I'm pretty sure the only reason I never nicknamed my Pokemon in the first place was that none of the main characters in the anime series do so, by now it's just a habit of mine not to change their names.