By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Canada still the master of hockey!

Canada wins the world championship!

CANADA! CANADA! CANADA! 8 50.00%

My team lost, so fuck off Canada! 5 31.25%

Wooh? 3 18.75%

Total:16

https://www.rt.com/sport/344031-canada-ice-hockey-world-champions/

Boom! 2-0 against Finland, we're on top of the world! :D

Made a bet with LipeJJ and HylianYoshi that the XB1 will reach 30 million before Wii U reaches 15 million. Loser has to get avatar picked by winner for 6 months (or if I lose, either 6 months avatar control for both Lipe and Hylian, or my patrick avatar comes back forever).

Around the Network
Ka-pi96 said:
So how has the NHL been for Canadian teams lately?

50% of the players on the american teams are canadian.

Made a bet with LipeJJ and HylianYoshi that the XB1 will reach 30 million before Wii U reaches 15 million. Loser has to get avatar picked by winner for 6 months (or if I lose, either 6 months avatar control for both Lipe and Hylian, or my patrick avatar comes back forever).

Eh... Dominance in any sport by any country is rarely good for the sport. Look at cross-country skiing. Completely dominated by Norwegian athletes, and it's detrimental to the sport as a whole, on an international arena. While Hockey is bigger than cross-country, I'm still not convinced the sport is better off being dominated by a few countries.

Teeqoz said:
Eh... Dominance in any sport by any country is rarely good for the sport. Look at cross-country skiing. Completely dominated by Norwegian athletes, and it's detrimental to the sport as a whole, on an international arena. While Hockey is bigger than cross-country, I'm still not convinced the sport is better off being dominated by a few countries.

For a century at has been largely dominated by the Canadians and the Soviets/Russians with the Swedes, Americans, and Finns being also being competitive. Hockey will always struggle to grow beyond countries that have the climate that are conducive to the sport.

Augen said:
Teeqoz said:

For a century at has been largely dominated by the Canadians and the Soviets/Russians with the Swedes, Americans, and Finns being also being competitive. Hockey will always struggle to grow beyond countries that have the climate that are conducive to the sport.

I realize that hockey (or any winter sport for that matter) is largely reliant on the climate, but even then, there is room for hockey to grow bigger than it is, methinks. In my own Norway for instance, even though we too have been somewhat competetive in the later years. (We seem to want to stick with football being one of our favourite sports, regardless of how terrible we are at it.) As late as yesterday I read an article raising the question of why hockey isn't a more high profile sport in Norway than it is, considering our (relatively good) performance internationally.

Around the Network
Augen said:
Teeqoz said:

Cost is also a factor, as it's quite expensive to play. As far as today goes, you can easily add Czech Republic, Switzerland, and Slovakia. Belarus, Germany, Latvia, Norway, and France are competative in general as well. France has come a long way in recent years. Your point stands though.

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

Barney Stinson cares about hockey? And Canada?
Ask the mods to change your username bro

Angelus said:
Barney Stinson cares about hockey? And Canada?
Ask the mods to change your username bro

Don't follow it too much, but winning is always fun to boast about :)

Fuck off Canada. And Canadians.

OK, seriously. The Canadian team was better in this match, no doubt about it. Congratulations! Don't fuck off please.

This is why I hate international hockey. It's always the same teams winning.