By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Solution to islamic extremism

WolfpackN64 said:
barneystinson69 said:

Well if it hadn't been the US who intervened in Afganistan, would it be better off today? I mean the soviet's invaded the country and planned to do god know what (it was before I was even born, so I don't know much about details). And since they collapsed just a few years later, do we really want to know what could've happened there? And what exactly do you mean by self-serving interventions by NATO? Look, it was their people that decided to start these civil wars and overthrow their leaders, not ours. Yes, the US supported it because these regimes weren't democracy's. It doesn't mean they started the crisis.

The communist government in Afghanistan was the legitimate government then. The USSR did NOT invade. The USSR intervened because the Afghan government asked. The US just wanted to disrupt a potential expansion of Communism.

Google Soviet-Afghan War...

Around the Network
WolfpackN64 said:
barneystinson69 said:

Well if it hadn't been the US who intervened in Afganistan, would it be better off today? I mean the soviet's invaded the country and planned to do god know what (it was before I was even born, so I don't know much about details). And since they collapsed just a few years later, do we really want to know what could've happened there? And what exactly do you mean by self-serving interventions by NATO? Look, it was their people that decided to start these civil wars and overthrow their leaders, not ours. Yes, the US supported it because these regimes weren't democracy's. It doesn't mean they started the crisis.

The communist government in Afghanistan was the legitimate government then. The USSR did NOT invade. The USSR intervened because the Afghan government asked. The US just wanted to disrupt a potential expansion of Communism.

Alright, so you clearly know more than I in case. But when the soviet union collapsed, what do you think would happen to Afganistan? You don't have to guess to realize it would probably result in a civil-war, and likely a coup. Now thats speculation, and that never happened. So I'll take your side in this case, but this was over 30 years ago, so clearly any problems from then have long been gone or have changed. And Afganistan and Iraq don't make up the entire middle east (in fact politically, Afganistan isn't even considered to be part of it). I would blame Iran, Saudi-Arabia, and Turkey for much of the destabilization in the region today. 

Made a bet with LipeJJ and HylianYoshi that the XB1 will reach 30 million before Wii U reaches 15 million. Loser has to get avatar picked by winner for 6 months (or if I lose, either 6 months avatar control for both Lipe and Hylian, or my patrick avatar comes back forever).

I wish I was around to see what this planet looked like with no religion...

barneystinson69 said:
WolfpackN64 said:

Don't be so dramatic, I'm not putting a gun to your head. Insulting you is also freedom of speech. Concerning islamic extremism, it's a problem in Belgium all right, but regarding severe job-market discriminations and persistant fascist rethoric in the North of Belgium, coupled with a failing integration and job-security policy, it's hardly surprising we have this problem. The islamic community in Belgium did much more for this country than it destroyed anyway.

Like what have they done exactly? Because from what I've heard, they suffer from huge unemployement and use up a huge amount of welfare money (aside from not integrating into society). I'm not from Belgium, so its up to you to back up your statements.

The unemployment and welfare benifit problem are tied together and are mainly a problem in Brussels. The welfare benifit problem isn't really that large (concerning fiscal fraud in Belgium constitutes an amount about 100X the size of social fraud) and it isn't really surprising seeing as unemployment in Brussels is generally high and with better paying jobs sometimes discriminating against minorities, that inflates the problem.

In general though, we've had directors, actors, poets and activists from the community who are just as inspiring as any Belgian. In most places, you could speak of a largely sucessful communization of the various ethnicities.

barneystinson69 said:
WolfpackN64 said:

Alright, so you clearly know more than I in case. But when the soviet union collapsed, what do you think would happen to Afganistan? You don't have to guess to realize it would probably result in a civil-war, and likely a coup. Now thats speculation, and that never happened. So I'll take your side in this case, but this was over 30 years ago, so clearly any problems from then have long been gone or have changed. And Afganistan and Iraq don't make up the entire middle east (in fact politically, Afganistan isn't even considered to be part of it). I would blame Iran, Saudi-Arabia, and Turkey for much of the destabilization in the region today. 

Well, the Soviet Union wouldn't have collapsed if Brezhnev wasn't spending an insane amount as he did on the Soviet military. The war in Afghanistan sapped their resources since it just kept dragging on.

the in-fighting by Saudi-Arabia, Iran and Turkey is also a large problem, but the fact is that many politcal ties between them and many NATO members show that these wars are not simply caused by their infighting. For example: the war in Syria spiraled completely out of control when the NATO started intervening, dragging even Russia into the conflict and inflating the death toll even more.

Around the Network
Majora said:
I wish I was around to see what this planet looked like with no religion...

You mean before humans existed or after humans are gone?

Aura7541 said:
WolfpackN64 said:

Belligerants: USSR, Democratic Republic of Afghanistan and supported by India vs Sunni Mujahideen, supported by Pakistan, Iran and the US

You were saying?

WolfpackN64 said:
barneystinson69 said:

Like what have they done exactly? Because from what I've heard, they suffer from huge unemployement and use up a huge amount of welfare money (aside from not integrating into society). I'm not from Belgium, so its up to you to back up your statements.

The unemployment and welfare benifit problem are tied together and are mainly a problem in Brussels. The welfare benifit problem isn't really that large (concerning fiscal fraud in Belgium constitutes an amount about 100X the size of social fraud) and it isn't really surprising seeing as unemployment in Brussels is generally high and with better paying jobs sometimes discriminating against minorities, that inflates the problem.

In general though, we've had directors, actors, poets and activists from the community who are just as inspiring as any Belgian. In most places, you could speak of a largely sucessful communization of the various ethnicities.

Communization? Do you even know what that means? Frankly I'll admit I didn't until I googled it, but what it means is that it shifts towards communism (or maybe you mean equality, I don't know).  And poets and actors? I'm talking about the economic benifits these people make, and you haven't listed one. If they don't provide for their country, then what exactly is the point in immigrating them in the first place?

Made a bet with LipeJJ and HylianYoshi that the XB1 will reach 30 million before Wii U reaches 15 million. Loser has to get avatar picked by winner for 6 months (or if I lose, either 6 months avatar control for both Lipe and Hylian, or my patrick avatar comes back forever).

barneystinson69 said:

WolfpackN64 said:

Communization? Do you even know what that means? Frankly I'll admit I didn't until I googled it, but what it means is that it shifts towards communism (or maybe you mean equality, I don't know).  And poets and actors? I'm talking about the economic benifits these people make, and you haven't listed one.

Maybe I used the wrong term. Living in harmony might be better, English isn't my first language (though I wouldn't object to moving towards Communism). A lot of these peoples ancestors worked in the coal mines and were imported as cheap labor. Today, most of these people operate small businesses but most work along the same lines as all of us.

WolfpackN64 said:
Aura7541 said:

Belligerants: USSR, Democratic Republic of Afghanistan and supported by India vs Sunni Mujahideen, supported by Pakistan, Iran and the US

You were saying?

Interesting... I remember you saying "The US made the Afghanistan mess anyway when they armed the Taliban against the Soviet-backend government." You should also include Pakistan and Iran in that list, too. You know, just for fairness.