By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Has Microsoft already achieved its goal?

kowenicki said:

It is interesting how people have such short memories and how people can manage their own expectations to feel happier in their own little worlds.

A couple of years ago it was "The Xbox 360 has no chance of taking any significant market share, why are they even bothering", then it was "The PS3 will blow it out of the water within 12 months"... now its "The PS3 will catch it by 2010". Imagine the uproar if you had predicted Wii 23m, 360 18m, ps3 11m by April 2008 when the 360 launched.

I dont think there is any doubt that the 360 has pretty much achieved its goal, aided by the Wii I might add. Playstation is no longer the default brand of choice, gaming has changed and markets have to. Japan has become casual gaming heaven, hence the Wii rules. In the two other biggest markets, US and UK, there is now no doubt that the 360 has taken massive market share and will continue to do so (the PS3 isnt any closer in either of those markets than it was a year ago).

The Wii has changed the gaming landscape and brought new people to the gaming world. The 360 has proved that brand lotyalty is restricted to small percentages of the buying public in any product range and the gaming world is no different. The Sony propoganda of a 10 yr product lifespan is just silly, increases in technology are exponential and who knows where we will be by then.

For these reasons I think the 360 has already achieved pretty much what it set out to do and will increase market share significantly over the original Xbox figures in readiness of being first to market in the next gen. Go on..... burn me.

It's much closer in Europe, if you've been paying attention the 360's been outsold by the PS3 in Europe the entire year, and it's market share globely has been dropping every month. So to say "The 360 will continue to take market share" is false and makes you look like a moron.

The PS2 is far less advanced than the PS3, and by today's standards if extremely weak, yet it has been maintaining good sales, so really, a 10 year plan for the PS3 isn't so silly.

Microsoft set out to make money, and is still something like 6 billion in the hole because of the 360, it has not achieved it's  goal, and with the price of the PS3's hardware dropping so much faster than the 360's, MS will probably barely cut even on their losses.

Around the Network
rocketpig said:
Dno said:
rocketpig said:
^I said "Beyond game sales, MS doesn't give a rat's ass what Nintendo is doing" and "MS didn't enter the game market to only sell games, they wanted a piece of the emerging download entertainment market and home theatre hub setup".

Reading comprehension FTW!

umm..... hmmm....... beyond games and consoles what does nintendo sell????

EXAAAAACCCTTTLLLLYYYY.

*bangs head on desk*

You seem to think that I believe Microsoft entered the market to lose money... Obviously that's not the case. They want to make money on everything, just like every other company ever created.

But to think that they didn't enter this market to get a piece of the download market is ridiculous. What is the point of having an entertainment hub if said "hub" only plays games? The entire point of a hub is to bring different experiences together in one unit.

Seriously, you need to re-read my posts. You're arguing a point I'm not trying to make.

i think u need to re read my post.

You said microsoft cares not about nintendo.... if nintendo is NOT a concern why does microsoft what casual games now? i dont understand what you are talking about.

Basicly microsoft FEARS nintendo and so does sony. if you think for a second microsoft does not care that nintendo is getting all the games and sells 3X bettter then them i think thats stupid. Who will use 360 downloadable service if everyone buys a wii???? No one

El Duderino said:
Dno said:
El Duderino said:

@Dno: But that makes very little sence to me, after the PS1 and the PS2 Sony was in a position were they could have crushed Nintendo and Microsoft for good and been the number one console maker for a very very long time, sure Blue-Ray will make them lots if money... but for how long ??? will it last as long as the DVD ??? Consoles on the other hand will last forever and dropping the ball there will cost Sony much more in the long run, giving Nintendo and Microsoft the chance to gather new strength was the biggest mistake Sony ever made in the gaming industry IMO, had they continued with what the PS2 was doing they could have dominated the market for years to come... but that chance is dead and gone now...

For me Blue-Ray was nothing but a Pyrus victory for Sony... but I´m happy the way things turned out... lots of competition makes the maret better for all gamers, a fact fanboys like to ingnore... (I´m not calling anybody here a Fanboy... I just hate it when people want a company to dominate the market)

Um... DVDs came out in what 1997... and its 2008 and DVDS sell in the millions..... not one console has lasted for 11 years.... so umm.... what?

Every 5 years a new console is made... blu-ray can last for like 10 years without R&D.... whereas as soon as a console is made they start R&D for the next one because the life is only 5 years.

The Game industry is like what... 25-40% of he movie industry. more people watch, buy, and own lots more movies then games......

So the DVD has been around for 11 years... VHS was around for what... 20 years ??? New formats are comming out at a much faster rate than they used to... and I´m not even tuching downloads... now how long do you expect gaming to be around ??? Thats right, forever... so dropping the ball in the gaming industry is much much worse than losing a video format IMO, Blue-Ray might be around for another 10 years but the Playstation brand should be around much longer... if Sony had done things right and put its money on the future of the Playstatin brand they could have crushed Microsoft and Nintendo... then even our children would still play on a playstation... and ask us "Daddy what was a Blue-Ray and who was this Nintendo you keep talking about ???" But now Sony lost most of what they gained with the PS1 and 2 and face much stronger competition... they simply screwed up...

Oh and you should listen to rocketpig instead of fighting against him... he knows what he´s talking about... 

New formats may be coming out but there is only 1 standard. Blu-ray will make sony BILLIONS and sony can (as what we seen with nintendo) take back the lead with PS4 and kill everyone( not saying it will before fanboys kill me)....... And the 10 years the playstation has been out blu-ray would have made more money then games in the same amount of time.

you seem to think sony is dead. When in fact its selling faster then xbox. Sony did the right thing. They will make billions off blu-ray and the playstation brand is alive and well.

And As for Rocketpig, im not fighting I am debating thats what the site is for..... We have different points of view and i have every right to state when i think he is wrong.

dabaus513 said:
rocketpig said:
Dno said:
rocketpig said:
^I said "Beyond game sales, MS doesn't give a rat's ass what Nintendo is doing" and "MS didn't enter the game market to only sell games, they wanted a piece of the emerging download entertainment market and home theatre hub setup".

EXAAAAACCCTTTLLLLYYYY.

*bangs head on desk*

You seem to think that I believe Microsoft entered the market to lose money... Obviously that's not the case. They want to make money on everything, just like every other company ever created.

But to think that they didn't enter this market to get a piece of the download market is ridiculous. What is the point of having an entertainment hub if said "hub" only plays games? The entire point of a hub is to bring different experiences together in one unit.

Seriously, you need to re-read my posts. You're arguing a point I'm not trying to make.

Then whats the point of the core/arcade?

Exactly....................

The point is to steal sells from nintendo and get the casual crowd...which in turn means.... microsoft cares greatly about how many wii get sold nd what nintendo is doing......

Dno said:
El Duderino said:
Dno said:
El Duderino said:

New formats may be coming out but there is only 1 standard. Blu-ray will make sony BILLIONS and sony can (as what we seen with nintendo) take back the lead with PS4 and kill everyone( not saying it will before fanboys kill me)....... And the 10 years the playstation has been out blu-ray would have made more money then games in the same amount of time.

you seem to think sony is dead. When in fact its selling faster then xbox. Sony did the right thing. They will make billions off blu-ray and the playstation brand is alive and well.

And As for Rocketpig, im not fighting I am debating thats what the site is for..... We have different points of view and i have every right to state when i think he is wrong.

Where did I say Sony is dead ??? Sony is far from dead... and yes I too believe they will beat the 360 in hardware numbers sometime twards the end of the generation... but thats not what counts... had they done things right with the PS3 they could have had total control over this generation and forced Microsoft out of the console industry... sure they might have a comeback with the PS4, but they wouldn´t need to if they had done things right in the first place... had they continued with what the PS2 was doing they could dominate the industry for generations to come...

As for Microsoft vs. Nintendo... sure MS isn´t happy that they are losing games and hardware sales to Nintendo... but MSs number one enemy is Sony and MS is much happier losing to Nintendo than to Sony... The enemy of my enemy is my friend sort of thing... well its not quite like that but still MS is doint better than last generation and its save to say they are in the industr for good now... Nintendo is back were they belong, on top... but Sony is nowere close to were they were last generation... so MS imporved, Nindendo vastly improved and Sony screwed up... 

Sony screwed up the one chance they had to get their worst enemy (MS) out of the console industry... IMO Blue-Ray winning was not worth that... 

Around the Network
Dno said:
rocketpig said:
Dno said:
rocketpig said:

EXAAAAACCCTTTLLLLYYYY.

*bangs head on desk*

i think u need to re read my post.

You said microsoft cares not about nintendo.... if nintendo is NOT a concern why does microsoft what casual games now? i dont understand what you are talking about.

Basicly microsoft FEARS nintendo and so does sony. if you think for a second microsoft does not care that nintendo is getting all the games and sells 3X bettter then them i think thats stupid. Who will use 360 downloadable service if everyone buys a wii???? No one

For the last time:

I never said Microsoft didn't care about Nintendo.

Arghhh.... I'm done with this thread. I'm not going to break down my posts word-by-word to explain them. 

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

El Duderino said:
Dno said:
El Duderino said:
Dno said:
El Duderino said:

New formats may be coming out but there is only 1 standard. Blu-ray will make sony BILLIONS and sony can (as what we seen with nintendo) take back the lead with PS4 and kill everyone( not saying it will before fanboys kill me)....... And the 10 years the playstation has been out blu-ray would have made more money then games in the same amount of time.

And As for Rocketpig, im not fighting I am debating thats what the site is for..... We have different points of view and i have every right to state when i think he is wrong.

Where did I say Sony is dead ??? Sony is far from dead... and yes I too believe they will beat the 360 in hardware numbers sometime twards the end of the generation... but thats not what counts... had they done things right with the PS3 they could have had total control over this generation and forced Microsoft out of the console industry... sure they might have a comeback with the PS4, but they wouldn´t need to if they had done things right in the first place... had they continued with what the PS2 was doing they could dominate the industry for generations to come...

As for Microsoft vs. Nintendo... sure MS isn´t happy that they are losing games and hardware sales to Nintendo... but MSs number one enemy is Sony and MS is much happier losing to Nintendo than to Sony... The enemy of my enemy is my friend sort of thing... well its not quite like that but still MS is doint better than last generation and its save to say they are in the industr for good now... Nintendo is back were they belong, on top... but Sony is nowere close to were they were last generation... so MS imporved, Nindendo vastly improved and Sony screwed up... 

Sony screwed up the one chance they had to get their worst enemy (MS) out of the console industry... IMO Blue-Ray winning was not worth that... 

Well to be honest i dont think you will make more money if you sell games then if you are the standard for ALL movies so we have different opinons...... and thats why i think sony wanted to use playstation for blu-ray. Now with all that said and done sony still has a chance to sell millions of consoles and games  and make money off ps3.

Take a hit now (lose 1st place on consoles) make money later (ps3, blu-ray etc.) i think that is what sony was looking for. they did not want to lose the console market (and they havent really) but if thats what it took to kill HD-DVD they would do and it and they have.

Dno said:
El Duderino said:
Dno said:
El Duderino said:
Dno said:
El Duderino said:

Well to be honest i dont think you will make more money if you sell games then if you are the standard for ALL movies so we have different opinons...... and thats why i think sony wanted to use playstation for blu-ray. Now with all that said and done sony still has a chance to sell millions of consoles and games and make money off ps3.

Take a hit now (lose 1st place on consoles) make money later (ps3, blu-ray etc.) i think that is what sony was looking for. they did not want to lose the console market (and they havent really) but if thats what it took to kill HD-DVD they would do and it and they have.

Actually Sony thought they would dominate this generation just like the last two and easily crush HD-DVD. They didn't think Nintendo would be a factor and they focused mainly on what MS was doing. It's kind of like how they beat HD DVD but never really thought about beating DVD, which is the real problem. Same applies to how they're looking at MS when they should be looking at Nintendo. 

Love the product, not the company. They love your money, not you.

-TheRealMafoo

god people, Sony didnt lose market share, the PS2 is made by Sony. you guys know that right? maybe it would help if they called it the PlayStation Arcade.

but really Sony is still the dominant console maker. PS3 isnt dominating, but Sony is.

no one is paying attention to this FACT, but I will keep pointing it out. everyone is discussing market share by company, brand loyalty, and ability to make money but at the same time just dismising/forgetting about the PS2!!!

dgm6780 said:
god people, Sony didnt lose market share, the PS2 is made by Sony. you guys know that right? maybe it would help if they called it the PlayStation Arcade.

but really Sony is still the dominant console maker. PS3 isnt dominating, but Sony is.

no one is paying attention to this FACT, but I will keep pointing it out. everyone is discussing market share by company, brand loyalty, and ability to make money but at the same time just dismising/forgetting about the PS2!!!

That is because MOST gamers don't care about the PS2 anymore.  Yes late late adopters will be picking it up but the PS2 is for the most part dead.  What ever is left for the PS2 is coming out for the Wii anyways with the rest coming out on the 360/PS3 which people will buy instead.  Hell they are getting PSP ports LOL and yes it will sell some since it does have a userbase of 120 million.  As far as I can tell only Persona is truly the only exclusive game being develop for the PS2.  Other than that enjoy Wii and PSP ports.  The rest of us are playing 360/PS3/Wii.  Sorry but the PS2 is basically finished though give thanks to the Wii and PSP for keeping it alive longer then it should.