By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - So...NX is a "New Way of Playing Games"... I'm Scared

JWeinCom said:
You guys do know that the PS4 and XBox One exist right? If you want a traditional console, you have not one, but two! I definitely want a new way to play.

I am well aware of this, I consider myself a Nintendo fan first and foremost but I am critical enough of them to understand that Wii U didn't do them any favors and if NX simply believes that new ways to play is enough to compete against PS4, not so much Xbone, they need to at least make sure their gimmicks don't get to their head or make sure that NX is a console that third parties can't afford to miss out developing for. It's possible to be powerful and new.

Around the Network
Ljink96 said:
JWeinCom said:
You guys do know that the PS4 and XBox One exist right? If you want a traditional console, you have not one, but two! I definitely want a new way to play.

I am well aware of this, I consider myself a Nintendo fan first and foremost but I am critical enough of them to understand that Wii U didn't do them any favors and if NX simply believes that new ways to play is enough to compete against PS4, not so much Xbone, they need to at least make sure their gimmicks don't get to their head or make sure that NX is a console that third parties can't afford to miss out developing for. It's possible to be powerful and new.

The article never said any of that.

Even if the system is as powerful as its rivals, the selling point has to be its new features.  When you're arriving 3 years late, it's not enough to be as good as them.  Has to offer something very unique.  A traditional console at this point would flop hard.

This is Nintendo Third Pillar BS. Executives protecting their asses and setup for potential failures or negative results.

Only after the NX is a succeed and sales well; will it be promoted has the successor of WiiU and 3DS.

yvanjean said:
This is Nintendo Third Pillar BS. Executives protecting their asses and setup for potential failures or negative results.

Only after the NX is a succeed and sales well; will it be promoted has the successor of WiiU and 3DS.

It worked with the DS even though the Game Boy was their strongest brand.

I wouldn't look too deep into that, just wait till we get the actual reveal :p

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]

Around the Network
JWeinCom said:
Ljink96 said:

Even if the system is as powerful as its rivals, the selling point has to be its new features.  When you're arriving 3 years late, it's not enough to be as good as them.  Has to offer something very unique.  A traditional console at this point would flop hard.

I didn't quote the article in my response... it's my own thought for this one. You can be unique and powerful at the same time. The technology to make a PS4 is relatively cheap, I expect Nintendo to at least get on that level in terms of graphical capability. You wouldn't put out an 8 bit system during a 32 bit era. If a traditional console would flop hard...how come PS4 and Xbone are beating the stuffing out of the Wii U both of which had a year delay over Wii U? Wii U is anything but traditional and it's flopping hard. You can have something unique to your rivals and have decent graphics at the same time and if Nintendo is touting NX's software and games like Dragon Quest XI are in the talks for the system, they must have realized this  by now.

Arriving 3 years late, it isn't good enough to be worse than them either. Graphics and power have to at least be on par with PS4 and Xbone if Nintendo wants to stay relevant, that is unless NX is such an amazing piece of tech, that it sells on the concepts alone.

At this point, nintendo is almost fucked anyway. 3rd parties don't trust it, and it can't hold itself with just 1st parties. So good luck...

Made a bet with LipeJJ and HylianYoshi that the XB1 will reach 30 million before Wii U reaches 15 million. Loser has to get avatar picked by winner for 6 months (or if I lose, either 6 months avatar control for both Lipe and Hylian, or my patrick avatar comes back forever).

Ljink96 said:
JWeinCom said:

I didn't quote the article in my response... it's my own thought for this one. You can be unique and powerful at the same time. The technology to make a PS4 is relatively cheap, I expect Nintendo to at least get on that level in terms of graphical capability. You wouldn't put out an 8 bit system during a 32 bit era. If a traditional console would flop hard...how come PS4 and Xbone are beating the stuffing out of the Wii U both of which had a year delay over Wii U? Wii U is anything but traditional and it's flopping hard. You can have something unique to your rivals and have decent graphics at the same time and if Nintendo is touting NX's software and games like Dragon Quest XI are in the talks for the system, they must have realized this  by now.

Arriving 3 years late, it isn't good enough to be worse than them either. Graphics and power have to at least be on par with PS4 and Xbone if Nintendo wants to stay relevant, that is unless NX is such an amazing piece of tech, that it sells on the concepts alone.

A traditional console would flop hard because it is 2016 and not 2013.  Their rivals have had more time to build a user base, an online community, third party support, and game libraries.  Nintendo could have possibly had success if they released a traditional console in 2012 or 13.  They cannot do that now.

"The PS4 is a completely new way of playing games."

Love and tolerate.

JWeinCom said:
Ljink96 said:

A traditional console would flop hard because it is 2016 and not 2013.  Their rivals have had more time to build a user base, an online community, third party support, and game libraries.  Nintendo could have possibly had success if they released a traditional console in 2012 or 13.  They cannot do that now.

So Nintendo's only choice is to go the Wii and DS route...if it works again. Make "must play" technology. I understand that PS and XB basically have a install base that would be very hard to sway. I kinda get what you are saying but it doesn't make sense to at least output technology that all developers can utilize. You can't do anythign without third party support which builds your install base. Wii U is a Nintendo fan's console. It isn't for all types of gamers from all walks of life.