By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Would you buy a digital only console?

Would you buy a digital only console?

Yes 163 19.45%

No 479 57.16%

Maybe leaning yes 92 10.98%

Maybe leaning no 104 12.41%

Total:838

Leaning towards yes

Around the Network

Of course, but they really have to do something with the prices. Steam got so popular because of the constant sales.

No---it's anti-consumer because you are completely unable to resell them, and you have to buy them at steep prices with only rare opportunities for discounts.

Not to mention it's horrible for the preservation of the artform when the games are locked down to a closed ecosystem. What happens 15 years from now when they shut the storefront down and they go bankrupt? I don't want all of my bought-and-paid-for games subject to the whims of an ephemeral company who can just revoke my access to them at any time.

You can still buy and sell 35-year-old NES games that work perfectly. Will I still be able to do that 35 years from now with a digital-only console? Hell no.

Yep -- my Nintendo 3DS game library is all-digital since I travel a lot (and I bought my N3DS for that reason).

Aquamarine said:

No---it's anti-consumer because you are completely unable to resell them, and you have to buy them at steep prices with only rare opportunities for discounts.

Not to mention it's horrible for the preservation of the artform when the games are locked down to a closed ecosystem. What happens 15 years from now when they shut the storefront down and they go bankrupt? I don't want all of my bought-and-paid-for games subject to the whims of an ephemeral company who can just revoke my access to them at any time.

You can still buy and sell 35-year-old NES games that work perfectly. Will I still be able to do that 35 years from now with a digital-only console? Hell no.

Although now that I think about it, companies are pushing that nonsensical "Games as a service" DRM where you can only play your *single-player game* if you're connected to their bullshit servers (like The Division, Hitman, Need For Speed, Diablo 3 and Sim City initally, etc.).

If they're going to put a ticking time-bomb on games that will explode and render them a coaster the instant the game is no longer profitable......we might as well embrace an all-digital future.

...And watch our artform completely vanish 30 years from now.

Around the Network

Steam?

As long as I don't need to be connected to the Internet 24/7, the s'all good, but still, at that point, why not just get a PC? That's clearly the better option here.

I'm now filled with determination.

I work in power plants and I have to move every two year. EDIT : I mean I can't bring with me a collection of physical games each time I move out.

With Steam, I've already a all-digital system, and my rig has a 500Go SSD.

So I think I could do with a all digital console, but when I'm pretty confident with the future of steam and the upgradability of PC, I'm less confident with consoles.

My last PC upgrade was 2 years ago, and I start to think I should upgrade my graphic card for the end of the year.

I probably wouldn't support it if i had a choice. Even if i didn't i would have to ponder how confidence inspring it would be.

Like digitally download your games and no DRM, i could probably live with. DRM's or stream would be a complete no.

Aquamarine said:
Aquamarine said:

Although now that I think about it, companies are pushing that nonsensical "Games as a service" DRM where you can only play your *single-player game* if you're connected to their bullshit servers (like The Division, Hitman, Need For Speed, Diablo 3 and Sim City initally, etc.).

If they're going to put a ticking time-bomb on games that will explode and render them a coaster the instant the game is no longer profitable......we might as well embrace an all-digital future.

...And watch our artform completely vanish 30 years from now.

The power of the cloud! :p

Its just another form of DRM. 

Crackdown 3 is going to have input lag issues, desync more than usual, and the servers will be more expensive to run than normal (if it flops or people stop playing it, they ll be quick to shut them off). Im calling it now.

I hope we dont go all digital consoles, anytime in the near future.