By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Would you buy a digital only console?

Would you buy a digital only console?

Yes 163 19.45%

No 479 57.16%

Maybe leaning yes 92 10.98%

Maybe leaning no 104 12.41%

Total:838

No, I use it as a blu-ray player too.
As a secondary console, still no. Digital prices going down without the physical retail market is just wishful thinking. Less competition does not lower prices.

Around the Network

Have 2x PSPgo's Great digital only system, if there is enough media for the system then digital only is fine, heck 95% of my PS4 games are digital and probably 80% of my Vita ones.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

I somewhat have if you count mini-consoles.
I already only buy digital anyway. On PC I haven't bought a CD for a game in a decade or more.

Digital music, digital games, digital movies. The idea of actually buying physical CDs is backwards and outdated in this age.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Well I'm all digital on Steam/GOG so I don't object to such a console in theory. But the games would need to be a fraction of the cost - I can't see myself paying $60 for a digital game I can never resell or return. Honestly, I don't think I've ever spent more than $15 on a digital game.

Alternatively, I could get on board with a console that offered the entire library for a yearly fee.

spemanig said:

I'm going to say yes, obviously, but I needn't remind you that the forums do not reflect market reality, at all. And that applies both for and against digital. You won't find your answer here unless you specifically wanted to know if VGC would buy an all digital console.

Poll essentially is 45/55. Market reality won't be that way.

Well yes, I'm asking to see what people here think. I do understand that they don't represent the larger market.

Poll is 35/65 now.

Bet with Adamblaziken:

I bet that on launch the Nintendo Switch will have no built in in-game voice chat. He bets that it will. The winner gets six months of avatar control over the other user.

Around the Network

Already digital on PC and better off for it. I honestly wouldn't mind an all digital console, provided I could always change the drives at any time to different sizes and types.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Preferably not, but if we end up in an age of digital only, I'll probably get used to it super fast.

"Just for comparison Uncharted 4 was 20x bigger than Splatoon 2. This shows the huge difference between Sony's first-party games and Nintendo's first-party games."

Yes, but only from Nintendo, as they're the only console manufacturer with 1st party games I want.

1.Should allow external hard drives and have pretty good space automatically in(500GB minimum).

2. Prices should change so they don't always stay so high

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

12/22/2016- Made a bet with Ganoncrotch that the first 6 months of 2017 will be worse than 2016. A poll will be made to determine the winner. Loser has to take a picture of them imitating their profile picture.

Absolutely. I already am all digital on PC and handheld, and am 50/50 on console. Using discs to sell software is a thing of the past. It's slow, expensive, and scratchable.

If consoles handle their digital games the way Steam does, no one will have a problem with digital only consoles. That really is the key to weening people off of physical media. If they do that, then I am really looking forward to an all digital future.

NNID: garretslarrity

Steam: garretslarrity