By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Emily Rogers: NX not gonna use X86 architecture, raw power close to XBO

spemanig said:
Soundwave said:

I still don't think people want to do anything with a game OS. "Because iPhone" is not a reason.

At least wait until the actual OS for this thing is unveiled, you're derailing every NX thread with some imaginary wonder OS that you've invented inside your head. This isn't even relevant to this topic. This topic is about the NX CHIPSET.

The Apple stuff is just stupid anyway, every freaking industry has some blow hard saying "we're the Apple of XYZ". There is no Apple of anything else. Apple is Apple, they are a one in a million company that is basically a part luxury electronics and part fashion brand basically and even they are largely just cruising off things that Steve Jobs pushed for that are now 7-10 years old. But they can get away with it because they are a "sexy/cool" brand.

You're warping words. Nobody's actively hoping for neat OS features to sell them on NX. It's not meant to be flashy. It's meant to be effective, and it will be. The reality is, that's what's going to sell them on NX. "Because iPhone" was never the reason. "Because of everything Soundwave forgets within a second of reading it" is the reason.

Why the hell should I wait for the reveal when they've told us this stuff already? Why should I wait for Nintendo's permission to talk about something they've already made abundanly clear for over two years now? Pay attention and stop ignoring evidence and awaiting validation.

I'm not derailing anything. Let's jog that memory of yours a bit. I'll walk you through how this whole thing went down. Don't worry - it's not a complicated series of events. First, the thread is about an Emily Rogers rumor primerily about not using x86 and having power close to the XBO. It's not just about the NX CHIPSET. You said NX needs a gimmick to make up for the lack of power. I said it didn't and would eclipse the PS4 and XBO in sales even if it were weaker than the XBO. You challenged me to explain how further. I did. Here we are. You had no problem duking the topic out until your flimsy arguments collapsed under their own flake.

And of course there can be an Apple of something else. Like when NX makes Nintendo the Apple of gaming with their XBO-level console that redefines consoles the way the iPhone redefined cell phones. You know, using boring old UI, firmware, marketplace, OS, and a unified platform. That stuff. Like a smartphone compared to old cell phones, come to think of it.

I actually came up with a term to simplify all this stuff so that I don't need to spend dozens of posts re-explaining it to people I've already explained it to. Don't know if I told it to you yet. I like call the NX a "smartconsole." :)

You're living on a fantasy planet.

Around the Network
se7en7thre3 said:
Soundwave said:

I dunno at this point SMD64 sounds like he's invested so much into the Polaris thing that he won't let it go easily, like he admits the portable could use Nvidia Tegra, but the console will still use Polaris. That's not happening with a unified platform, if the portable is using Nvidia Tegra tech then it's a virtual lock the console is just an upscaled version of that.

Pay attention to her words that she is using very carefully lol she's fighting a mini strawman. Emily's main objection is NX being a competitor to PS4k,  which motivated her to reply, that much is very clear.  The only little thing she mentioned in passing about OG PS4, was the NX gpu being double PS4 "power"but again, it could be weaker on paper and still out perform with polaris 11.  Also the way she speaks against x86 makes it seem like Arm.  Not that huge a deal. So why can't it be nvidia + arm for the portable, and amd + arm for the home?  

Also the tegra is  really only 512 gflops, sincethe 1 tf rating is on a FP16 scale when consoles go by FP32, so it is a marketing ploy.  It would still be a great next gen portable, and its safe to assume Ninty would further clock that down so more around 350-400 gflops if they use that tegra x1 chip.

Probably that's what it is. Scaled down Tegra X1 for the portable, scaled up Tegra X1 for the microconsole.

Though there are still problems even with that ... the Tegra X1 runs at 20 watts just to hit 500 gigaflops when gaming ... that's pretty hot, even if you scaled that down by half to 250 gigaflops ... 10 watts is quite a bit of electricity consumption for a portable, the thing would have be very large and have a huge battery.

The new iPad Pro 9.7 inch model has a 27 wH battery and that's a huge battery, a 10 watt chip + 1 watt for the display + misc power draw elsewhere would rip through that battery in about 2 hours.

Soundwave said:

You're living on a smart planet.

Fixed.

Soundwave said:
I'm not even sure of 1 TF anymore.

I think maybe something like

800 gigaflops for a microconsole

250 gigaflops for a tablet size portable

Is probably more realistic.

thats like exactly what i said a year and a half ago

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

zorg1000 said:
Soundwave said:
I'm not even sure of 1 TF anymore.

I think maybe something like

800 gigaflops for a microconsole

250 gigaflops for a tablet size portable

Is probably more realistic.

thats like exactly what i said a year and a half ago

If that's what it is, the portable will do OK assuming the portable business doesn't recede any more (which is a big assumption). The console will be sell like the Wii U, 14-15 million units.

Around the Network

Mark Cerny is a GENIUS and the PS4 SoC is incredibly powerful.

I don't see Nintendo or MS catching up to SONY any time soon.

lmaobox said:
Mark Cerny is a GENIUS and the PS4 SoC is incredibly powerful.

I don't see Nintendo or MS catching up to SONY any time soon.

It's just an AMD chip, nothing special. Sony has very little competetion because their competitors are fairly incompetent most of the time.

All you have to do is make a reasonably decent piece of kit and sit back and wait for your competetion to make stupid mistakes and then you just waltz in to victory.

spemanig said:
Normchacho said:

So, I before I jump back in here, I want to make sure that I have the right idea of what you expect the NX to be, and how successful you think it will be.

1. It will be digital only.

2. It will have a unified library with the handheld and every game will have cross buy/save.

3. It will have a touch based UI for both the console and the handheld.

4. It will offer gamers "points" for every purchase through the My Nintendo rewards program.

5. The E-shop will offer regular deals and competitive sales.

6. It will have equal 3rd party support to the Xbox One and PS4.

7. You think it will outsell the PS4 and Xbox One once it launches.

8. You think it will sell upwards of 100 million units.

Do I have all of that, and am I missing anything important?

1. Yes.

2. And cross play between the NX and NXDS. Yes-ish.

3. Yes. Dual screens for both.

4. That's not all, but essentially yes.

5. Yes.

6. Um, that depends on factors outside of the hardware, but for the sake of argument, yes.

7. Within the first year, I think it will outsell them weekly, yes.

8. Lifetime, definitely.

No you're missing something.

9. NX will be backwards compatible with the eShop of the Wii U and 3DS. That's important for the marketplace.

And there's probably more I'm forgetting because I've never laid it out like this. But I'm sure your upcoming post will jog my memory. Go on.

Aaah okay. Anyways!

I don't 100% agree with all of your predictions, but I want to assume that all of your predictions for what the NX is come true. 

I just don't see the console you've outlined having the success you're predicting. Don't get me wrong, I think that console would easily be more succesful than the Wii U. Simply being able to tell a father than he can buy a system that has Mario for his kids, and Madden for him will be enough to do that...but I think there are some things that would limit it.

1. I don't think the handheld market in total ever sells more than 100 million units again. This gen has seen handhelds decline by two thirds. That's a giant drop and though I don't think it will be nearly that drastic next gen, I think a drop of 25% is guarenteed. Phones have just eaten handhelds and they are getting better way too fast for handhelds to make a comeback.

2. Without a strong handheld market, the home console is left without a pretty major selling point for a lot of people. If they don't want handhelds, why do they care about a unified library or cross buy?

3. If it isn't more powerful than the PS4 it's going to get some seriously bad word of mouth. It may not even be justified, but gamers are going to say that it's too little too late. and though hardcore gamers don't buy the most consoles, they certainly guide the conversations that push the general market. Otherwise, the PS4 may not have been the go to console this gen.

4. UI has never been a major selling point for a gaming console. The NX will still do all the same basic things as the others, just with a UI designed to be more like a phone or tablet. Which will be nice, but it won't be enough to push sales to any serious degree.

5. I think 2019 sees the release of at least the next Playstation, maybe even the next Xbox. When that happens the NX is going to be in the same place the PS3 and 360 were in during 2013 and onward. Legacy platforms with dwindling support and appeal.

6. All consoles do sales, and having multiple places that gamers can buy games from means competition. PSN isn't having a sale on a game you want? Try Amazon, or Best Buy, or Gamestop. I think Nintendo will have a hard time getting around that. Since even if they have sales on big games more often than PSN or Xbox Live, they won't be able to have sales more often than them, plus all the major retailers.

7. Peoples friends have PS4s already. People want to play games with their friends, and that's going to lead people to keep buying the leading console. At least to some degree.

Like I said though, I think the console you outlined would be successful. But no mega hit.

Bet with Adamblaziken:

I bet that on launch the Nintendo Switch will have no built in in-game voice chat. He bets that it will. The winner gets six months of avatar control over the other user.

Slimebeast said:
Is Emily Rogers confirmed to really be a girl? I've never heard about a woman that is interested in computer hardware.

Seriously? I work with multiple women who are electronic engineers (or work in the field) design or run chips. 

spemanig said:
Normchacho said:

So, I before I jump back in here, I want to make sure that I have the right idea of what you expect the NX to be, and how successful you think it will be.

1. It will be digital only.

2. It will have a unified library with the handheld and every game will have cross buy/save.

3. It will have a touch based UI for both the console and the handheld.

4. It will offer gamers "points" for every purchase through the My Nintendo rewards program.

5. The E-shop will offer regular deals and competitive sales.

6. It will have equal 3rd party support to the Xbox One and PS4.

7. You think it will outsell the PS4 and Xbox One once it launches.

8. You think it will sell upwards of 100 million units.

Do I have all of that, and am I missing anything important?

1. Yes.

2. And cross play between the NX and NXDS. Yes-ish.

3. Yes. Dual screens for both.

4. That's not all, but essentially yes.

5. Yes.

6. Um, that depends on factors outside of the hardware, but for the sake of argument, yes.

7. Within the first year, I think it will outsell them weekly, yes.

8. Lifetime, definitely.

No you're missing something.

9. NX will be backwards compatible with the eShop of the Wii U and 3DS. That's important for the marketplace.

And there's probably more I'm forgetting because I've never laid it out like this. But I'm sure your upcoming post will jog my memory. Go on.

Wow..... you are worse than I could even ever imagine possible. And "smart console"? Having you been living under a rock for the last 7yrs? The least smart console has always been Nintendo platforms. And you think with the release of a new console they are suddenly going to match and exceed PSN and XBL. Or things like PSVue, PSnow, PSshare, Game DVR...... and even more so, if Nintendo does all or even any of those things to you it's the first time it's eveer being done and that makes them have a smart console?

Soundwave hit the nail on the head. You are living in a dream planet.