By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo Has New TV Marketing Slogan

Is it a pun? it's a pun! It's a terrible pun. It sounds like a joke made by an elderly.

"Trick shot? The trick is NOT to get shot." - Lucian

Around the Network
Risthel said:

Thank you for your kind words, I don't comment very often here, but it's always nice to have a civil and constructive conversation with someone. I also appreciate your comments. Even if I don't always agree with what you say, I think your thoughts are very lucid and clever. 

Having said that, I think I didn't explained myself properly before. I agree that Nintendo strenght is their difference and uniqueness and that they should market that. I'm not even talking about exploiting slogans, you can do it with everything so it isn't much of a problem. It's that "There's no play like it" doesn't sound right to me, it has a bad ring if you are saying it out loud. Something like "Unique play. Unique fun" for example conveys Nintendo's special flavour in a simple way while being somewhat a stronger message. I don't know if I'm explaining myself in a good way, I apologise if I don't. 

About Nintendo's target, I think "everyone" is too wide and broad, how do you appeal "everyone"? They should start with a specific target and then eventually exapand their audience. I bet Sony too wants to appeal to everyone, but they started with a really focused target (the "hardcore" gamers) and then, thanks to goodwill, word of mouth and good press, they expanded their offerings to a much "casual" audience. I think that a bad execution is directly linked to a lack of focus towards the target. If you don't have a clear direction it's difficult to have good results. 

I must say that I still didn't hear the jingle, I an at work now and I can't turn the audio on! But yeah, you can always change a jingle, it doesn't really change the slogan message.

No, you're being clear. I understand why it doesn't make sense to you. It's not good grammer. In order to get the "no place like it" reference, they fudged it. I think it's one of those things people will get used to when the more they hear it. The layman isn't going to look at "There's No Play Like It" and try to disect it for flaws. They're going to see an ad, read the slogan, and remember it with repetition. Even if you don't get the word-play, the message is clear and easy to understand. It's short, simple, and memorable. That's all it needs to be to work.

"Everyone" is too wide at all. Like I always say, Disney already does this. It's very easy to appeal to everyone. The DS did it flawlessly, and it's the second most successful gaming platform of all time. Sony clearly has no investment in appealing to everyone, and they'll never get everyone with the way PS4 is branded and with it's capabilities. DS was an example of perfect execution when appealing to all demographics. It appealed to casuals, children, women, and mainstream gamers at the same time without alienating any one side. How did it do that? The games. How does Nintendo do that with the NX? It needs the software and it needs accessable pricing. It had a wider catalogue of games than anything before and much since.

"There's No Play Like It" is universal enough to address all of these four demographics when need be. (I separate "women" only because Nintendo does) All that's left is the exclusive software. They need exclusive big-budget AAA western-style games for mainstream audiences, they have their current Nintendo franchises for children, they are doing a good job with stuff like Animal Crossing that appeal to women, and they seriously need to find something new that can appeal to casuals and make them want a sit-down game instead of a mobile game. That last part is obviously a major area of focus for them still. I think a lot of people are fooling them selves in thinking that Nintendo's new red branding means they'll no longer focus on casuals. It's not a "callback to the NES and core gaming systems." I also think that people are fooling themselves in thinking that casuals are lost to smartphones, never to return. The Wii's problem was that its gimmick got old, not that casual gaming did.

If Nintendo wants NX to be the monster that it can be, it needs to target everyone, and unlike the Wii U it needs to do it well.

Shots have really been fired xD

Risthel said:

About Nintendo's target, I think "everyone" is too wide and broad, how do you appeal "everyone"? They should start with a specific target and then eventually exapand their audience. I bet Sony too wants to appeal to everyone, but they started with a really focused target (the "hardcore" gamers) and then, thanks to goodwill, word of mouth and good press, they expanded their offerings to a much "casual" audience. I think that a bad execution is directly linked to a lack of focus towards the target. If you don't have a clear direction it's difficult to have good results. 

I see what you mean but one thing that really bugs me is when gaming is divided into two categories, hardcore & casual, that is way too vague and doesnt take into account age groups, genders or nationalities.

Obviously nothing appeals to everyone, but I think DS/Wii did a pretty great job of appealing to multiple different demographics.

They had alot of software that appealed to young boys, young girls, teenage boys, teenage girls, adult males, adult females.

They had such a huge variety of games ranging from things like Nintendogs, Fire Emblem, Style Savvy, Metroid Prime, Art Academy, Monster Hunter, Endless Ocean, Mario Galaxy, Legend of Zelda, Pokemon, Dragon Quest, Wii Series, Kirby, Advance/Battalion Wars, Xenoblade, Rhythm Heaven, Brain Age, Just Dance, Madden, FIFA, Skylanders, Lego, Call of Duty, Need for Speed, Smash Bros, Mario Kart, Elite Beat Agents, Guitar Hero, Mad World, Conduit, Resident Evil, Red Steel, No More Heroes, Star Wars, Imagine Series, Cooking Mama, Animal Crossing, NSMB, Professor Layton, Sonic, Ace Attorney, Sims, Final Fantasy, WarioWare, Scribblenauts, Zumba, GoldenEye, etc.

Replicating that success is certainly easier said than done, especially with the rise of mobile in the last 5-6 years but there is a very large middleground between DS/Wii & 3DS/Wii U levels of success and if done right I think Nintendo can find a healthy medium that sells off their uniqueness and appeals to many different demographics.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

That's amazing... I hope they go full red/white with NX too!

Btw, $80 for 2DS + MK7? Dear god, that's the price of a single Wii U game in Brazil. You lucky bastards!

Bet with Teeqoz for 2 weeks of avatar and sig control that Super Mario Odyssey would ship more than 7m on its first 2 months. The game shipped 9.07m, so I won

Around the Network
CaptainExplosion said:
Zoombael said:

And nintendofanboys n girls keep fangirly... ing...

Come back when you've come up with a better rebuttle.

tits for tats. 

a slogan and logo that instantly reminds one of the competiton (for the players, 4 buttons logo) is an instant fail. if anyone fails to aknowledge this... well... keep on fangirly...ing.

User was moderated for this post

-Super_Boom

Hunting Season is done...

CaptainExplosion said:

I'm seeing more complaining and stupid memes, instead of someone actually saying what they think the slogan should be.

Just Give Me My Fucking Zelda - Next Nintendo Slogan.

Zoombael said:
CaptainExplosion said:

Come back when you've come up with a better rebuttle.

tits for tats. 

a slogan and logo that instantly reminds one of the competiton (for the players, 4 buttons logo) is an instant fail. if anyone fails to aknowledge this... well... keep on fangirly...ing.

What are you referring to exactly?

The slogan is fine. It works better then "Greatness awaits" or others IMO since this one is clearly about videogames. Show an image to any random person and there is a good chance they will link it to videogames.

This could indeed be the NX slogan or type of slogans. It could be that this new one was part of a shared marketing strategy where the NX would take front center. But since it's pushed back, it might be that the marketing push for the 2DS continued as planned. I suspect we'll see this one for the 3DS holiday push also.

In the wilderness we go alone with our new knowledge and strength.

Quickly, someone tweets them to @NOA!

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile