By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Disney Infinity canceled, Disney stopping as video game publisher

Snoopy said:
DanneSandin said:

Like to EA? Yeah, Battlefront was such a great thing...

Made a lot of money and it is going to be a yearly series.

Is it really gonna be a yearly series? Noooos! It kinda takes the magic out of a franchise when it's released yearly, imo. But didn't it sell under expectations?

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

Around the Network
Aquamarine said:

This makes sense.

If you look at USA NPD sell-through, Disney Infinity sales were just falling off a cliff from iteration to iteration.

LTD sales of Disney Infinity 3.0 as of March 2016 NPD were 1.194 million, while the equivalent sales of Disney Infinity 2.0 as of March 2015 were 1.720 million. That's a decline of -31%. Toy sales were also falling off a cliff.

It was just a matter of time.

Skylanders is going to meet the same fate. The latest version of Skylanders has only sold 741.5K in the USA so far according to NPD figures, down -47% from last year's Skylanders.

That's an interesting observation. You should make a prediction thread about this, so we can follow the coming turn of events ;)

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

Oversaturation of the market I guess.
The skylanders games are actually good games as opposed to infinity which were terrible. However I can see skylanders getting cancelled next year as well. Activision has just pushed too many figures too the market and people are over paying so much yearly from what I've observed.
I wonder if nintendo will still have a crack at a amiibo powered game?

I think Amiibo will ultimately suffer a similar fate ... how many times will you be able to get people to buy the same characters over and over again. I think by now most major Nintendo characters and even many of the bigger third party characters are available, so Nintendo is going to have to rely on getting people to buy secondary versions perhaps?

Time to check Brandon Jones twitter

Around the Network
shikamaru317 said:

If I'm reading that right they lost $147m on Disney Infinity in the last 6 months. I see why they shut it down, that's a big loss.

This isn't even peanuts to Disney.  Maybe grains of salt.  

"You should be banned. Youre clearly flaming the president and even his brother who you know nothing about. Dont be such a partisan hack"

Soundwave said:
I think Amiibo will ultimately suffer a similar fate ... how many times will you be able to get people to buy the same characters over and over again. I think by now most major Nintendo characters and even many of the bigger third party characters are available, so Nintendo is going to have to rely on getting people to buy secondary versions perhaps?

Amiibo and Infinite are very different things, whole point of Infinite franchise are toys, you can't use Infinite game without Infinity toy, Amiibo on other hand is just small addon to huge number of Nintendo games and only game that requires Amiibo is very small game Animal Crossing Festival.

I think this news open lotsa opportunity for Nintendo and Disney collaborations, like Disney characters on Amiibos and Disney related or crossover games developed by Nintendo.

shikamaru317 said:

If I'm reading that right they lost $147m on Disney Infinity in the last 6 months. I see why they shut it down, that's a big loss.

They didn't "lose" $147 million in the sense that $147 million of cash at Disney has been spent paying bills or debts.

Rather, the $147 million consists of impairment charges in The Walt Disney Company's accounting. The total amount is comprised of three sources:

1) It's primarily due to an inventory write-down (they had a whole bunch of inventory on their books as valued at a set amount assuming it will get sold-in at a decent price point, and now that inventory is going to be much more unprofitable because Disney is going to offer steep clearances to offload the inventory that's still sellable...so its future worth has depreciated significantly and its value on the books needs to reflect that)

2) Anticipated severance pay to the 300+ employees who no longer have a job at Disney

3) Other ancillary asset impairments related to the discontinuation of their console games business

If Disney had any sense they'd let videio game publishers and developers come to them with game ideas, all the Star Wars, Marvel and Disney characters licences for games could make some serious money in the right hands and they just need to licence them all out.

Of course, I'm bias and in reality want another game like X-men Legends.... but Disney hate X-men so...

Hmm, pie.