By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Disney Infinity canceled, Disney stopping as video game publisher

Either way, this is really sad. There was clearly a lot of passion that went into this stuff.

Around the Network
shikamaru317 said:

If I'm reading that right they lost $147m on Disney Infinity in the last 6 months. I see why they shut it down, that's a big loss.

No, it's not $147m lost via Disney Infinity, it's $147m in costs to wind up an ongoing publishing operation including all their studios: redundancy for possibly over a thousand employees, buying themselves out of existing contracts for e.g. health insurance, pensions, building maintenance, utilities and IT (think penalty clauses) and then legal costs, sales or reorganisation of remaining IP, buildings and assets.

Darwinianevolution said:
If Disney are not going to do anything as a videogame publisher anymore, it's just a matter of time before all publishers ask for the licenses of their IPs.

I hope not. Licensed games are usually mediocre.

I guess those toys weren't selling well enough.

I think what's happening is there isn't much a casual market on home consoles anymore.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

JRPGfan said:

Disney Infinity canceled = meh, who cares?

However:

Im not ashamed to say I played Disney Epic Mickey I & II on the Wii.
Them saying they wont do video games anymore... awwww... guess we ll never see a Epic Mickey III.

Is Epic Mickey 2 good? I see it on Sale for the vita, it's like... 6.99 or so, very tempted to buy it, loved the Castle of Illusion game on the Megadrive but I've not played a Mickey mouse game in some decades.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

Around the Network
Chazore said:
Never did play Infinity but I can tell that it was quite the loss on their end.

On the bright side it has brought to my attention that they recently threw out some Zootopia figures so I'll have to snatch those up before Disney stop complete production along with scalpers.

They aren't even that expensive.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Disney-Infinity-3-0-Figure-Nintendo/dp/B011C7HGQK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1462913767&sr=8-1&keywords=zootopia+disney+infinity

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Disney-Infinity-3-0-Figure-Nintendo/dp/B011C7H4SA/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1462913767&sr=8-2&keywords=zootopia+disney+infinity

I seen both of those in our local game store, they look very loyal to the characters from the Movie, even without the game as figures for your shelf if you could find them cheap I would recommend.

I'm going to be picking up a few of the infinity figures for that reason even though I've no intention to buy any of the games again (had the first one, got it cheap sold it at a profit near xmas) Stitch is getting bought though I think!

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

Shame, this was the only toys-to-life series I was interested in (still didn't buy it, though!)

Well that was sudden, especially with how they threw out the baby with the bath water. I thought they were doing fairly well but apparently not.

This isn't related also with figurines right?

I would think game shops might be happy with the news that one of the toys to life brands has gone under though, Between Amiibos, Skylanders, Infinity, Lego Dimensions boxes... they take up half the floor space of our local big games store.