By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Which generation do the NX/PS4Neo belong to?

The title speaks for itself. I don't really think it's right to include them (and the rumoured XB1.5 or whatever) alongside the 8th gen but they're not different enough to be 9th gen either. So... 8.5?

Around the Network

Neo - 8th gen

NX - 9th gen

NX is a hybrid really. Almost like the Dreamcast in that it existed in both the 5th and 6th generation era(although shortly in both).

Discussed many times, revisions, even hardware revisions are the same gen, like the New 3DS and so on the neo will be 8th gen.

The Wii U is a completely new console (or so we believe) so unless its a new wii u that is also portable, it is a 9th generation console

Twitter @CyberMalistix

Gens dont matter and never have.
Call it whatever you want.

malistix1985 said:
Discussed many times, revisions, even hardware revisions are the same gen, like the New 3DS and so on the neo will be 8th gen.

The Wii U is a completely new console (or so we believe) so unless its a new wii u that is also portable, it is a 9th generation console

Wouldnt the Wii be the same gen as the gamecube then? because supposedly inside, it was just a suped up gamecube?

Around the Network

Just straight up 8th gen IMO ...

The Neo just becomes another PS4 SKU and the NX is still most likely going to compete with the HD twins too for most of it's life ...

KLXVER said:
Neo - 8th gen

NX - 9th gen

What he said.

"Just for comparison Uncharted 4 was 20x bigger than Splatoon 2. This shows the huge difference between Sony's first-party games and Nintendo's first-party games."

don't understand why this is. complicated.

The Neo is a PS4. it even has the exact same name. Plays and will play every PS4 game. and every game aver made for the PS4 will work on it and every pS4 made before it. Same ecosystem. same everything. The only thing the Neo brings to the table is supposedly 4k output support and/or a performance boost to typical PS4 games. No new features will be added to the Neo, there isn't a Neo version of games but rather a Neo preset. Unless u consider rez/framerate boost as a new feature.

The NX is a new console. games made for the NX will not work on the WiiU or any previous nintendo platform. New ecosystem. new controller and peripherals. new hardware.

I can't even begin to understand how it's in anyway similar with what the Neo is supposed to be in relation to the PS4.

we will never see a Neo exclusive feature. much less game. again, as i said. unless u consider 4k output support as a feature or rez or framerate bumps.

Guitarguy said:
NX is a hybrid really. Almost like the Dreamcast in that it existed in both the 5th and 6th generation era(although shortly in both).

Agreed no we will see if Nintendo does what Sega didn't. Which is making a mid gen console successful. Anyways by all technical means Neo is 8th gen and NX 9th.

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar

Wikipedia will decide