By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Which generation do the NX/PS4Neo belong to?

Generations are artificial concepts. Developers don't "assign" their consoles to a certain generation, which is why the whole concept doesn't work.

Around the Network
torok said:
Both 8th gen. NX isn't here to compete against the PS5 and Xnext, but against the PS4 and X1. Generations are defined by their timeframes. In a similar way, both the Atari 2600 and 5200 are considered 2nd gen consoles.

This isn't an early next gen console. Nintendo basically cancelled the Wii U after launch and now they are releasing a new and reasonably late 8th gen device.

More or less what I was gonna say.

torok said:
Both 8th gen. NX isn't here to compete against the PS5 and Xnext, but against the PS4 and X1. Generations are defined by their timeframes. In a similar way, both the Atari 2600 and 5200 are considered 2nd gen consoles.

This isn't an early next gen console. Nintendo basically cancelled the Wii U after launch and now they are releasing a new and reasonably late 8th gen device.

What he said. Wii U seemed like a late HD answer to the PS360. NX is the real 8th gen console. Specs wise this will also hold true. Wii U is closer to PS360, NX will be closer to PS4/Xone.

this generation thing is annoying, ps4neo part of this generation, NX the first console of the next generation. If the NX has a polaris gpu or not, it's the first of the next generation.

arcaneguyver said:
torok said:

5 years for the wii u, that an entire generation.

Around the Network
Guitarguy said:
Qwark said:

Agreed no we will see if Nintendo does what Sega didn't. Which is making a mid gen console successful. Anyways by all technical means Neo is 8th gen and NX 9th.

Mid-generation is a tough one especially as the PS4 and Xbox One pick up big steam this year..

If the NEO is more powerful than the NX, does that make the NEO 9th generation too? Doesn't really matter anyway. VGChartz will probably just blend NEO sales in with the standard PS4, take out the Wii U and replace it with the NX starting from scratch?

No because a generation is defined by the number of succesors not the power of the system. Otherwise the wii was 6th gen and the Wii U more 7th than 8th gen. The NX replaces the Wii U, so we will likely see the U dissappearing and the NX as the first 9th gen console with 100% marketshare. For as long as that lasts.

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar

onionberry said:
arcaneguyver said:

4.3 years.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

While it may have made sense to group consoles into generations before, with the hardware revision concepts of the PS4 and XBO it is becoming more and more obsolete. I would count the NX as eighth gen if it is cmopeting against the PS4 and XBO for most of its lifespan.

zorg1000 said:
onionberry said:

4.3 years.

wii u will be discontinued in 2018.

that's 5 years

The Neo is definitely part of the 8th generation. The NX will be part of the 9th generation.