By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Ivy League Economist Interrogated For Writing Math Equations On Airplane

Well, I don't blame her since hardly anyone knows differential equations and let alone college level math ...

Around the Network
fatslob-:O said:

Well, I don't blame her since hardly anyone knows differential equations and let alone college level math ...

I know what they look like. 

Hiku said:
The American education system is doing a terrible job when people consider math a foreign language.

This is what I was wondering too.

Doesn't take much to know what math looks like though.

Acevil said:

Most people never see or glance about the material from higher mathematics outside of a college level textbook ... 

Zkuq said:

Lot's of peoples struggle with basic algebra as it is ... 

FWIW, I agree with you guys that she was being overly paranoid but all's well that ends well ...

Acevil said:

Most people never see or glance about the material from higher mathematics outside of a college level textbook ... 

Zkuq said:

Lot's of peoples struggle with basic algebra as it is ... 

FWIW, I agree with you guys that she was being overly paranoid but all's well that ends well ...

I know a lot of people struggle with math, even basic stuff, but I think recognizing math, even if it's way above your level, isn't that hard. I don't think I've ever had any trouble recognizing something as math even when I haven't understood a single bit of it. But apparently some people find it harder, which in itself is worrying in my opinion.

Around the Network
Hiku said:

You know the American education system is doing a terrible job when people consider math a foreign language.

Considering most math uses the Greek Alphabet which Americans are not familiar with, I don't see how this is can be considered "a terrible job." Only people who take a Trigonometry class or go to a fraternity would probably recognize what most of these letters are in the U.S. And when you see a string of many of them in an unusual pattern, it definitely could look pretty foreign. There is a syntaxical language overlaying mathematical concepts. Some even go as far as to call mathematics a bunch of mix-matched languages that describe logic and patterns. I think the stupid thing about this is that writing another language qualifies you for suspicion of terrorism, not that the woman identified the math as a different language.

sc94597 said:
Hiku said:

You know the American education system is doing a terrible job when people consider math a foreign language.

Considering most math uses the Greek Alphabet which Americans are not familiar with, I don't see how this is can be considered "a terrible job." Only people who take a Trigonometry class or go to a fraternity would probably recognize what most of these letters are in the U.S. And when you see a string of many of them in an unusual pattern, it definitely could look pretty foreign. There is a syntaxical language overlaying mathematical concepts. Some even go as far as to call mathematics a bunch of mix-matched languages that describe logic and patterns. I think the stupid thing about this is that writing another language qualifies you for suspicion of terrorism, not that the woman identified the math as a different language.

Well the numerals we use 0,1,2,3 etc are Arabic so yeah no wonder they called the police!

Well, in the end, I suppose he was using Arabic Numbers :'''''''''''''''''''''''D

I'm stealing this from some comment, but:
He was obviously a terrorist from the brutal group: Al-gebra.

This is great. It really show how some Americans are easily afraid of things they don't understand. Other ethnicity and common algebra!