Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The Pokémon Company obtained $2.1 Bilion dollars in revenue last year

Good news .

Around the Network

That's a lot! Good news for Pokemon

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread -

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]

With the anime being at a high point, new merchandise coming out, new games coming out, etc., it's very impressive Pokemon is still growing after all these years. It's part of the worldwide culture, no longer just a 90s phenomenon. So many events surrounding Pokemon and the franchise even repped the Japanese national football team. I wouldn't be surprised if it made a presence in the 2020 Olympics and become a main attraction in the Nintendo theme parks.

StarOcean said:
Ka-pi96 said:

If you think that fair enough.

I personally won't consider them to be owned by Nintendo until there's actually some proof though...

Honestly, the question of how much Nintendo owns Pokemon is up in the air. Pokemon is owned by GameFreak, The Pokemon Company, and Creatures (I believe). GameFreak is its own thing while The Pokemon Company itself is 100% Nintendo, Creatures is where it gets muddy I believe. 

But yeah it's been debated to death on how much Nintendo owns Pokemon

Actually the Pokemon Company is the one where GameFreak,Creatures & Nintendo all own a third each. And then The Pokemon Company owns 100% of Pokemon which is what gives each of the others a one third ownership of the IP.

Bet Shiken that COD would outsell Battlefield in 2018. http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8749702

onionberry said:
Teeqoz said:

But presumingly they'd get a higher share of the revenue due to them being the publisher of the Pokemon games, right?

they own 33, and creatures inc 33 just like gamefreak... but! nintendo owns creatures inc, so 66%

You have any source to back up that Nintendo owns Creatures Inc? Because as far as I know, they only own a minority share.

Around the Network

So...

Does Nintendo have a strangle hold on the PokeMon Company/IP?

Is there no chance one day someone else could decide they want it?

If so would Nintendo be powerless if the PokeMon Company wanted out?

retroking1981 said:
So...

I suppose technically someone could purchase both GameFreak and Creatures Inc and thus have more control over the Pokemon Company and IP than Nintendo. However as both are privately held companies rather than companies traded on the stock market that makes a buyout of those much more difficult. Nintendo likely own a minority share in Creatures Inc and I've heard the same about them owning a minority in GameFreak before as well. I don't know how private companies operate in Japan but here in the UK private companies can have agreements set up which prevent shares from being sold to 3rd parties without full agreement. I doubt it would be much different and if Nintendo do in fact own minority shares in those companies (even one of them would be enough) then I very much expect they would have made sure such an agreement was in place.

So, in short it's impossible to tell for sure, however it's very likely Nintendo have agreements and contracts in place which prevent a change of ownership or direction in the Pokemon company without their approval.

Bet Shiken that COD would outsell Battlefield in 2018. http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8749702

Cheers @Ka-pi96

retroking1981 said:
So...

tecnically speaking it's possible for someone to buy out the Pokémon IP, the only problem is that ALL the pokémon names, items, characters etc. are filled under copyright by Nintendo, so whoever wanted to buy it would end up with a  title that has near to 0 content to it...

Kai_Mao said:
With the anime being at a high point, new merchandise coming out, new games coming out, etc., it's very impressive Pokemon is still growing after all these years. It's part of the worldwide culture, no longer just a 90s phenomenon. So many events surrounding Pokemon and the franchise even repped the Japanese national football team. I wouldn't be surprised if it made a presence in the 2020 Olympics and become a main attraction in the Nintendo theme parks.

Wait, it is? Source?